Canadian Politics

I wonder how feasible/desirable it is to have a designated capital region? We're one of very few western democracies that does not treat the capital as a separate political entity, managed by the Federal gov't. 

If this protest is a template for future protests and the City and Province are too impotent to actually do something, maybe that's a solution? Would only have to encompass a dozen or so square blocks in Ottawa. 

In other Pat King news: he claimed that Honeymoon Suite, Kim Mitchell, and Platinum Blonde were playing the occupation mainstage on the weekend.   But alas...

FL53KcZWYAYFP56?format=jpg&name=medium

I would have been very sad if Kim Mitchell had played to the cracker barrel.

the song is "go for soda", not "go for the imaginary grievance politics of the petit bourgeois."

and hey Platinum Blonde is recording new material.  Never been a big fan but at this point in my life it's just nice to hear a name I recognize...

Edited by johnzo

City doc who donated to convoy questions vaccinations

Winnipeg Free Press · Posted: Feb 18, 2022 12:17 PM CT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago

Dr. Kaz Czaplinski immigrated to Canada from Poland and works in cardiac surgery at St. Boniface Hospital. (Trevor Brine/CBC)
The medical community is concerned a Winnipeg doctor, who donated to the so-called "freedom convoy," is questioning vaccination and public health measures.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I will say this:

During what I will dub "the convoy period" the Canadian Politics chat had an equal number or more posts than the American Politics chat

Not even a federal election could generate this much activity

I believe this is unprecedented - in the prestigious history of MBB

brave-heart-mel-gibson.gif

convoy-trucker.gif

giphy.gif

Jordan Klepper Confronts Canadian ‘Freedom Convoy’ Truckers, Finds a Lot of Conspiracy Nuts.  The ‘Daily Show’ correspondent ventured to Ottawa to ask the Canadian truckers protesting vaccine mandates why they’re doing it—and found some bizarre characters.

Last fall, both the U.S. and Canada lifted vaccination requirements for long-haul truckers in order to combat a series of supply-chain disruptions. Those restrictions were put back in place last month, and ever since, Canadian anti-vaxxers have formed a convoy in protest of COVID-19 vaccine mandates, shutting down roads and harming businesses.

The so-called “Freedom Convoy” has become a political flashpoint, given that many of the protesters have no ties to trucking, according to the Canadian Trucking Alliance. It’s been praised by culture war-obsessed right-wing troll-politicians in the U.S. like Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), and much of the funding for the display has come from right-wing donors in America, with some of the biggest donations given by well-heeled Republican backers.

And so, it was the perfect place for The Daily Show’s Jordan Klepper to do his thing.

Klepper, of course, has garnered a reputation for confronting deranged right-wing Americans, from those storming the Capitol to try to overturn a democratic election on Jan. 6 to childish anti-vax protesters with a fetish for comparing the choice to get a vaccine in order to help prevent a deadly global pandemic that’s killed millions to Nazi Germany. The comedian’s latest “Finger on the Pulse” took him to Ottawa to try to get to the bottom of why these protesters have been making such a fuss.

“We don’t live in Germany… We don’t live in Nazi Germany. Those days are over,” one protester told Klepper. “Show me your papers don’t happen anymore. That’s a freedom that everyone should have.”

“Is the Germany comparison a stretch here in Canada?” countered Klepper.

“No,” he replied.

During his segment, Klepper encountered a number of protesters in the convoy who also happen to be Trump supporters—and approached one wearing a QAnon hat.

“I see the ‘Q Army’ on your hat. Is Q the American thing trying to find JFK Jr.?” asked Klepper.

“Exactly… exactly,” the man replied.

Another conspiracy theorist-convoy protester who Klepper came across said, “It’s more than just the vaccine passport and stuff… The Agenda 2030 is a good start… It’s where the world’s headed toward one government. They want to sterilize us that only certain people can have kids.”

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I will say this:

During what I will dub "the convoy period" the Canadian Politics chat had an equal number or more posts than the American Politics chat

Not even a federal election could generate this much activity

I believe this is unprecedented - in the prestigious history of MBB

We're more divided than I can ever recall as a country. At least that I have seen in my life and it really concerns me for the future. But I also don't see how we can find a common ground with people who believe in conspiracies and claim that mainstream media (and facts in general) are all part of the conspiracy that the rest of the population is too dumb and foolish to see(sheeple).

That 'freedom convoy' in Ottawa? It's inspired by an Old Testament account of divine massacre

When a church announces what’s called a Jericho March (or a Jericho Walk), you might picture congregants praying, walking around a building, trumpets blasting and an odd gospel song here and there.

You might forget, however, what comes next.

From Joshua 6:20-21:

When the trumpets sounded, the army shouted, and at the sound of the trumpet, when the men gave a loud shout, the wall collapsed; so everyone charged straight in, and they took the city. They devoted the city to the Lord and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it—men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys.

Jericho Marches are organized by a group by the same name. They were created by a coalition of Christian nationalists in the US. They are co-led by a Catholic think-tank writer (Arina Grossu of the Family Research Council) and an evangelical businessman (Rob Weaver).

The Jericho Marches rose to prominence recently. Supporters have been marching around the Canadian Parliament in Ottawa for around 20 days. They are, for Americans, a gothic reminder of what had been brewing in the lead up to the J6 sacking and looting of the US Capitol.

The same toxic brew
Jericho March, the group, is one of the religious groups, movements and ideologies that were at play in the insurrection. The Uncivil Religion project has uncovered a bevy of beliefs. The Jericho Marches, however, were the principal symbol of J6 and the Christian nationalism at its heart, not only in DC but at state capitols around the country.

Christian nationalism is a religious idea that transcends borders. It attracts a lot of support from like-minded insurrectionists abroad.

Last year, when journalist Emma Green wrote “A Christian Insurrection” for The Atlantic, it was subtitled it, “Many of those who mobbed the Capitol on Wednesday claimed to be enacting God’s will.”

The CBC Investigates piece on the Ottawa convoy this week is titled, “For many inside the Freedom Convoy, faith fuels the resistance.”

The links are very clear between groupings. And now, organizing in small groups and marching around Parliament, is a new Jericho March.

Spiritual warfare
Filmed versions of Jericho Marches reveal a large group in the snow, bearing primarily Canadian flags and singing hymns, reciting the Lord’s Prayer, and then blowing shofars before they began marching.

The hymns and prayers were occasionally punctuated by people yelling “Freedom!” and trucks honking. One woman spoke in tongues before engaging in rhetoric I’ve seen in spiritual warfare sermons.

They prayed for healing from vaccines and for summoning the “Lord of Heaven’s armies.” As the National Review reported, the Jericho March goes every day, once around Parliament, and seven full laps on Thursdays, carrying horns and trumpets. And they hope eventually more will show up, to the tune of thousands and thousands.

Benita Pedersen, an organizer from Alberta, was interviewed by a sympathetic Christian YouTube channel about what they are doing.

Pedersen said she felt a “call on her heart” to do this. She had been given a steer horn by a local farmer. She knew she had to bring it to Ottawa and to do a Jericho March. She’s using that as a shofar.

She said that the “freedom movement” was “100 percent hand in hand with Jesus.” They go together beautifully, she said, and nonbelieving supporters should think about Jesus and about how it goes together.
But, of course, this isn’t her first time. She led an anti-vaxx rally outside of the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton in September, received 10 Public Health Act tickets for organizing various anti-public health rallies in northern Alberta last year and revived her Twitter account, dormant since 2016, specifically in order to promote anti-public health events she organized and ran.

The story of Jericho is nothing to worry about.

It’s only about divine massacre.

That 'freedom convoy' in Ottawa? It's inspired by an Old Testament account of divine massacre - Alternet.org

14 hours ago, Tracker said:

Jordan Klepper Confronts Canadian ‘Freedom Convoy’ Truckers, Finds a Lot of Conspiracy Nuts.  The ‘Daily Show’ correspondent ventured to Ottawa to ask the Canadian truckers protesting vaccine mandates why they’re doing it—and found some bizarre characters.

Last fall, both the U.S. and Canada lifted vaccination requirements for long-haul truckers in order to combat a series of supply-chain disruptions. Those restrictions were put back in place last month, and ever since, Canadian anti-vaxxers have formed a convoy in protest of COVID-19 vaccine mandates, shutting down roads and harming businesses.

The so-called “Freedom Convoy” has become a political flashpoint, given that many of the protesters have no ties to trucking, according to the Canadian Trucking Alliance. It’s been praised by culture war-obsessed right-wing troll-politicians in the U.S. like Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), and much of the funding for the display has come from right-wing donors in America, with some of the biggest donations given by well-heeled Republican backers.

And so, it was the perfect place for The Daily Show’s Jordan Klepper to do his thing.

Klepper, of course, has garnered a reputation for confronting deranged right-wing Americans, from those storming the Capitol to try to overturn a democratic election on Jan. 6 to childish anti-vax protesters with a fetish for comparing the choice to get a vaccine in order to help prevent a deadly global pandemic that’s killed millions to Nazi Germany. The comedian’s latest “Finger on the Pulse” took him to Ottawa to try to get to the bottom of why these protesters have been making such a fuss.

“We don’t live in Germany… We don’t live in Nazi Germany. Those days are over,” one protester told Klepper. “Show me your papers don’t happen anymore. That’s a freedom that everyone should have.”

“Is the Germany comparison a stretch here in Canada?” countered Klepper.

“No,” he replied.

During his segment, Klepper encountered a number of protesters in the convoy who also happen to be Trump supporters—and approached one wearing a QAnon hat.

“I see the ‘Q Army’ on your hat. Is Q the American thing trying to find JFK Jr.?” asked Klepper.

“Exactly… exactly,” the man replied.

Another conspiracy theorist-convoy protester who Klepper came across said, “It’s more than just the vaccine passport and stuff… The Agenda 2030 is a good start… It’s where the world’s headed toward one government. They want to sterilize us that only certain people can have kids.”

HE's brilliant

14 hours ago, WildPath said:

We're more divided than I can ever recall as a country. At least that I have seen in my life and it really concerns me for the future. But I also don't see how we can find a common ground with people who believe in conspiracies and claim that mainstream media (and facts in general) are all part of the conspiracy that the rest of the population is too dumb and foolish to see(sheeple).

It would be interesting to know the real actual percentage that accurately reflects this 'division' of Canadian citizens.

For arguments sake as an example lets say its 85%  who believe in science, public health expertise, social responsibility, multiculturalism, teaching learning from history, the importance public education etc etc whereas 15% think it's all bunk and have done their 'research', the government and the medical field is trying to manipulate and control us, taking away our freedoms, our rights to choose. 

According to my math, is that really a division?

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It would be interesting to know the real actual percentage that accurately reflects this 'division' of Canadian citizens.

For arguments sake as an example lets say its 85%  who believe in science, public health expertise, social responsibility, multiculturalism, teaching learning from history, the importance public education etc etc whereas 15% think it's all bunk and have done their 'research', the government and the medical field is trying to manipulate and control us, taking away our freedoms, our rights to choose. 

According to my math, is that really a division?

It's not a division per se, but 15% of 38 million is a large enough number to worry about - it's 5.7 million people

When you consider that only 40% of the population votes in most elections - 5.7 million people are not insignificant 

4 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It's not a division per se, but 15% of 38 million is a large enough number to worry about - it's 5.7 million people

When you consider that only 40% of the population votes in most elections - 5.7 million people are not insignificant 

Great point about voting apathy.

Not suggesting 15% of a 38 million people isn't a significant number to contend with but 85% of 38 million is a much bigger number that tends to suggest resounding majority.

Good reminder of the importance to vote for all levels of political office.

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

We need to upgrade school curriculums to not only discuss our government etc but to explain how we are not the USA. First amendment is in the US constitution. He's looking for the second freedom listed under the four fundamental freedoms in our charter. Its in the second section.

That won't help, these lunk-heads stopped paying attention to school well before grade 10 and turned their massive brain power towards figuring out the quickest way to acquire a big-ass truck. 

They have no spokesperson because not one of them has any level of advanced education, that's why they latched onto Brian Peckford and Randy Hillier, it's real hard to find educated morons.

https://t.me/windsor_519/4092

Edited by Fatty Liver

Nothing will appease these idiots, they will burn their castle right to the ground and still blame Trudeau for starting the fire that destroyed it.

'We cannot endorse him': Anti-abortion group accuses Pierre Poilievre of being 'pro-abortion'

https://nationalpost.com/news/we-cannot-endorse-him-social-conservatives-accuse-pierre-poilievre-of-being-pro-abortion

14 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Nothing will appease these idiots, they will burn their castle right to the ground and still blame Trudeau for starting the fire that destroyed it.

'We cannot endorse him': Anti-abortion group accuses Pierre Poilievre of being 'pro-abortion'

https://nationalpost.com/news/we-cannot-endorse-him-social-conservatives-accuse-pierre-poilievre-of-being-pro-abortion

this reads like shenanigans to me; the Post is attempting to moderate PP because they really like him.  I suspect he's pro-abortion just like Barack Obama was anti gay marriage.

Edited by johnzo