Around The League Off Season Discussion

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Drew Willy nets us a first overall pick and a divisional all-star defensive back

Darian Durant nets Chris Jones two middle round picks, one of which is conditional

hehe

Funny post, but I think that Jade Etienne for Willy is a more apt comparison.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:04 PM, 17to85 said:

3 minutes ago, johnzo said:

This move is worse than Kelly cutting Glenn in 2009.

At least Mike Kelly had his chosen successor in hand when he  moved on from his established starter. 

Sounds like the Riders are interested in Drew Tate.  Perfect fit for those inbreds.

24 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Tate hasn't shown anything in a long time

Hasn't shown anything 'cause he never sees the field. But he's younger, and in theory can still play, but who would know? It's worth looking into, but if he hasn't left by now, I just can't see him going to the Riders....why go to that gong show when you could stay with the Stamps and hide in the shadows? Tate is a supremely WEIRD dude....he doesn't want the spotlight in the Dirty Reg....

27 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

This is fantastic news. It could mean another year of tire fires in Regina.

...if there's a God............

There's absolutely nothing better in the world than seeing "Rider Nation" *fart noises* in a complete shambles. Here's hoping that anthill gets kicked but good...

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Hasn't shown anything 'cause he never sees the field. But he's younger, and in theory can still play, but who would know? It's worth looking into, but if he hasn't left by now, I just can't see him going to the Riders....why go to that gong show when you could stay with the Stamps and hide in the shadows? Tate is a supremely WEIRD dude....he doesn't want the spotlight in the Dirty Reg....

If he's traded, he doesn't really have a choice. 

I didn't realize that he's 32. With his injury history he's really been able to extend his career by not pursuing other opportunities in other cities where he could have started. He seemed happy to just hold the clipboard and get paid in Calgary. 

Sure looks like Tate has never started more than nine games in one season...  been three years since he's really faced a #1 D and his stats are pretty average for a backup.

Durant seems like a good placeholder as you develop a QB... Jones/Murphy are about to blow a ton of $$ on Duron Carter - why not just give that to DD

This is just plain ego.

Edited by Floyd

On 2017-01-13 at 9:07 AM, Rod Black said:

Durante to the ALS has an awful lot of SK fans (even more?) cheesed at Jones. Now even less hope for the hopeless.

I think a fair number of them were cheesed off with last year's effort by Mr. Jones.

cause.....

They've got a  thing going on.

They all know that it's wrong, but it's much too strong

to let go now!

Can't believe they got rid of Durant. He's still really good.

Edited by Mark F

21 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Missed my point.  Trade value is his rights, not for him signed to play in 2017.  If he had a (reasonable) contract for 2017 obviously he'd have more trade value.

Sorry but no, they didn't just trade for his rights.  Officially, yes, but in reality, if you believe that the trade simply represents obtaining his rights in order to try and see if they could reach a deal on a new contract, then see my earlier post.  They traded because they had a pretty darned good idea they could sign him  **cough**negotiations**cough.  The value represents the fact that they were prepared to throw Jones a bone and get to Durant early.   Montreal could have just as easily waited a month, but then they might have had to bid a bit more in order to get him.   If Jones had not made it clear that Durant was not coming back, he might have gotten something closer to what Durant's real trade worth was, but "the smartest guy in the room" messed that up.

It's funny. All you Bluebomber fans are giving rider nation the gears because of their quarterback situation. Last time I checked the Bombers have 1 QB at the name or Dominique Davis. Unless I'm missing something but I think you guys should be worried about finding your starter if Nichols doesn't sign back. 

15 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

It's funny. All you Bluebomber fans are giving rider nation the gears because of their quarterback situation. Last time I checked the Bombers have 1 QB at the name or Dominique Davis. Unless I'm missing something but I think you guys should be worried about finding your starter if Nichols doesn't sign back. 

Difference with the situation in Regina is there is no nastiness between Walters and Nichols, they are co-dependents and will come to an agreement sooner or later.

On 1/13/2017 at 3:06 PM, Noeller said:

If Huff is shopping Tate, he's not going to have this option for long.  Dollars to donuts Huff. has most likely found his next young QB prospect and no longer needs Tate.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

32 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If Huff is shopping Tate, he's not going to have this option for long.  Dollars to donuts Huff. has most likely found his next young QB prospect and no longer needs Tate.

Huff isnt shopping anyone. Jones is ****** and is throwing out a hail Mary, begging Huff for a miracle.