Around The League Off Season Discussion

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Huge signing, can't believe Swayze was available.  No favour from the Argos, they can't even retain the players they let go to the NFL.  Was Leone released to try and land an NFL gig?

Argos has Lirim, no need for him.

30 minutes ago, Atomic said:

What a mess in Montreal.  Young, talented, possibly ratio breaking tackle and they can't afford to bring him in.

Montreal already has a ton of $$ tied up in the OL...  LBJ, Blake, Matte...  probably counting on Ruby at RT or looking for cheaper imports

Now trade our 3rd rounder for neg rights to Foucault please!

Edited by Floyd

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

What happens in a situation like the Foucault one? Montreal has his rights, but he's certainly worth WAY more than that. That's not realistic to expect him to play for peanuts.

CFLPA?

I doubt the CFLPA can do much. The offer, although really low IMO, is over the minimum contract.

Foucault could sit out, but that doesn't pay the rent and then he's another year out of football and back in the same situation... His rights are still owned by Montreal. He could sign a 1 year deal to get out from under his Montreal commitment. He could demand a trade and I'm sure a lot of teams would want to make that trade, but there has to be something good to great in it for Montreal, like a first rounder in the draft. (Most likely situation IMO)

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I doubt the CFLPA can do much. The offer, although really low IMO, is over the minimum contract.

Foucault could sit out, but that doesn't pay the rent and then he's another year out of football and back in the same situation... His rights are still owned by Montreal. He could sign a 1 year deal to get out from under his Montreal commitment. He could demand a trade and I'm sure a lot of teams would want to make that trade, but there has to be something good to great in it for Montreal, like a first rounder in the draft. (Most likely situation IMO)

I'd consider the 6th overall for Foucault but here's the thing: wouldn't that player want more than 80k too?

Montreal might be better off asking for a 2018 first rounder. I'd probably offer that up too, except Foucault being 28 concerns me a little.

10 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

He had a good 2016 season. 

Lirim haters make me laugh. Was 2015 brutal for him? Absolutely. That said his college numbers were solid, as were his figures in 2014. Kickers have down years - Nature of the beast. He also has a higher career field goal percentage than Swayze Waters, who a lot of people are going overboard saying it's a great signing (good, but FAR from great).

24 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Huge signing, can't believe Swayze was available.  No favour from the Argos, they can't even retain the players they let go to the NFL.  Was Leone released to try and land an NFL gig?

Unless he goes jon ryan i have trouble seeing him stick down there. His directional control / coffin corner needs too much work imop.

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Was an odd use of emojis by CFL Twitter...I've since deleted. Also of note, May 7 is a Sunday...

nice, gonna be a good day in bomberville. did they announce the combine days?

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

What happens in a situation like the Foucault one? Montreal has his rights, but he's certainly worth WAY more than that. That's not realistic to expect him to play for peanuts.

CFLPA?

Iirc a player can inform the league he is looking for a deal in the cfl and then a clock starts on the team that holds his rights. They have to offer a deal with in 7-10 days, but i dont think there is any thing that says it has to be a reasonable deal. I am by no means an expert in such paper work though. I would think he could hold out and demand a trade to a team willing to pay a reasonable contract to him. Some years back a NI ol i think from sask signed as a FA with sask but then signed days later with mtl. Changed his mind and the cfl forced a trade of his right from sask back to mtl. IIRC it wasnt great value for him at all. 

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'd consider the 6th overall for Foucault but here's the thing: wouldn't that player want more than 80k too?

Montreal might be better off asking for a 2018 first rounder. I'd probably offer that up too, except Foucault being 28 concerns me a little.

Id do that in a heart beat. 6th or next years. 28 doesnt worry me too much with the lack of wear and tear he should have. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Lirim haters make me laugh. Was 2015 brutal for him? Absolutely. That said his college numbers were solid, as were his figures in 2014. Kickers have down years - Nature of the beast. He also has a higher career field goal percentage than Swayze Waters, who a lot of people are going overboard saying it's a great signing (good, but FAR from great).

Thats a kickers life. Look at how medlock did in the NFL. Hes great people and i wish him the best, when ever he isnt playing us any way.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'd have zero problems giving up our 6th overall and obviously paying above 80K. His age doesn't worry me much as 3 years in NFL on the Panthers is probably worth more than 3 years in the CFL.

As for the new 6th rounder wanting more than 80K. You bet they would, but they wouldn't have a lot of negotiation power as long as Montreal doesn't need them this year.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Leone was let go so he could sign with the Arizona Cardinals

40 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Lol.  Scott Flory.  Rider fans just loooove him.

Ya,  you can only go to the zoo so many times in Regina hey?

For the record on Flory, he got his panties in a knot once he realized he was playing second fiddle to Andrew Greene at guard and would have to flip flop to the weak side depending on spot of the ball. Makowsky and Greene always lined up on the strong side in Danny Barrett's offense. He refused to come and we traded him back to Montreal for a first round pick. We did good on the deal I would say.

Edited by Ripper