Around The League Off Season Discussion

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

So Davis is a Bomber and Cato is not.

Doesn't that mean that in terms of experience within our system, Davis is better?

Just using your own ridiculous logic against you here. I await your spin.

Experience isn't ridiculous. Practice time isn't the same as playing time, especially at the #3 spot where you don't get many reps. 

Davis knows our system. Cato doesn't. That's a fact, but that doesn't help much, if at all, in comparing the two QB's.

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Had it been a depth chart of Willy, Davis, Cato or Cato, Davis. Then you could compare them. But Cato was behind the perpetual interception thrower of KG and benefited from some injuries. That's why he was playing. He didn't beat anyone out in camp. And as soon as teams figured him out (after his first game) they were able  to shut him down.

I don't understand how that makes him obviously better. I'm not saying he isn't, I'm just saying there's no tangible way to tell at this point.

EDIT : Come on Tburg, you're not seriously going to use College stats as a reasonable reason why someone will be a better pro player than another....that's some weak sauce, even for you.

So you're saying that we can only compare two players on the same team with the same chances? That's crazy talk.

Cato benefited from injuries and he didn't beat anyone out of camp. That's how he got the CFL experience that he has. Davis stayed at #3 and Walters said he wouldn't have made the Willy trade unless he could get an experienced #2 guy. That kinda says management didn't even see Davis as the #2 guy last year.

Davis hasn't even had the 1 great game that Cato has. Other teams haven't had a chance to figure him out yet. 

College careers do matter when comparing the two, mostly untested, QB's. It comes back to playing time and success. Cato wins hands down. If Davis had more pro stats, then I wouldn't need to go back to college, but as we all know he doesn't.

Look... I'm not suggesting that Cato will come in and take Nichols job away from him. I'm even saying that he's a good CFL QB yet. I'm saying he's better than Davis at this point of their careers. The only way anyone will know for sure is if we bring Cato in and they go head to head.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Cato benefited from injuries and he didn't beat anyone out of camp. That's how he got the CFL experience that he has. Davis stayed at #3 and Walters said he wouldn't have made the Willy trade unless he could get an experienced #2 guy. That kinda says management didn't even see Davis as the #2 guy last year.

I thought Walters said an experienced back-up and not specifically number 2?

And Davis was number 2 last year behind Nichols, after the Willy trade.

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Experience isn't ridiculous. Practice time isn't the same as playing time, especially at the #3 spot where you don't get many reps. 

Davis knows our system. Cato doesn't. That's a fact, but that doesn't help much, if at all, in comparing the two QB's.

So you're saying that we can only compare two players on the same team with the same chances? That's crazy talk.

Davis hasn't even had the 1 great game that Cato has. Other teams haven't had a chance to figure him out yet. 

College careers do matter when comparing the two, mostly untested, QB's. It comes back to playing time and success. Cato wins hands down. If Davis had more pro stats, then I wouldn't need to go back to college, but as we all know he doesn't.

Look... I'm not suggesting that Cato will come in and take Nichols job away from him. I'm even saying that he's a good CFL QB yet. I'm saying he's better than Davis at this point of their careers. The only way anyone will know for sure is if we bring Cato in and they go head to head.

No I'm saying there's no way to tell which is better at this time, and comparing their stats total is useless when you consider the situation both were in. I'd be fine with comparing Levour and Cato, or Tate and Cato. There's some things there to actually compare. But on these two specific QB due to the way their clubs have operated, comparing stats isn't a fair evaluation...so there is no way to actually tell who is better. If I had to give an edge, I'd give it to Davis due to his familiarity with the BB system...but even then it wouldn't be a very big edge.

57 minutes ago, Mike said:

So Davis is a Bomber and Cato is not.

Doesn't that mean that in terms of experience within our system, Davis is better?

Just using your own ridiculous logic against you here. I await your spin.

Practice holding a clip board doesnt take you very far in football... How much experience did bryan ahyat have here? Its not experience if you never get off the bench.

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

No I'm saying there's no way to tell which is better at this time, and comparing their stats total is useless when you consider the situation both were in. I'd be fine with comparing Levour and Cato, or Tate and Cato. There's some things there to actually compare. But on these two specific QB due to the way their clubs have operated, comparing stats isn't a fair evaluation...so there is no way to actually tell who is better. If I had to give an edge, I'd give it to Davis due to his familiarity with the BB system...but even then it wouldn't be a very big edge.

You give the edge to the player with almost no stats because he 'knows the system' and you discount the player who actually has stats over his 2 year CFL career. You choose to ignore both players careers up to this point because that comparison doesn't work in favor of Davis. 

Everyone in Bomberland should understand what happens when you have an inexperienced backup QB. I won't like the names of all the inexperienced QB's we've had over the last decade who 'might be the next one', 'knew the system', 'can't compare the stats', 'looked good in practice', 'had one good game' and failed miserably. That's the situation we are in right now. 

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You give the edge to the player with almost no stats because he 'knows the system' and you discount the player who actually has stats over his 2 year CFL career. You choose to ignore both players careers up to this point because that comparison doesn't work in favor of Davis. 

Everyone in Bomberland should understand what happens when you have an inexperienced backup QB. I won't like the names of all the inexperienced QB's we've had over the last decade who 'might be the next one', 'knew the system', 'can't compare the stats', 'looked good in practice', 'had one good game' and failed miserably. That's the situation we are in right now. 

I'm not ignoring their careers. In fact one of the reasons I don't want to compare them is because of the lack of careers on both sides. I don't understand how you don't see what I'm saying. You can't honestly compare these two in any meaningful way at all using stats. Only opinion. In my opinion, Davis would have a very very slight edge, as he's currently has a better understand of the BB play book. That's right now at this exact moment Feb 7th at 10:38am. That would change slightly during TC if both were there.

And you should know that mediocre stats don't mean jack when switching teams. There are plenty of examples both ways, where a QB looked decent in one system and like totally shit in another and vise versa. So again, Cato's very slight advantage in experience doesn't mean a whole lot when he's going to be playing in a new system.

You don't want an inexperienced back up. Ok that's fine. But Cato hasn't shown anything to immediately make him #2 here. He's legit had what 2 good games? He's played a hand full of starts. How is he experienced? He's not as green as Davis, but he certainly has a lot of green left on him. 

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm not ignoring their careers. In fact one of the reasons I don't want to compare them is because of the lack of careers on both sides. I don't understand how you don't see what I'm saying. You can't honestly compare these two in any meaningful way at all using stats. Only opinion. In my opinion, Davis would have a very very slight edge, as he's currently has a better understand of the BB play book. That's right now at this exact moment Feb 7th at 10:38am. That would change slightly during TC if both were there.

And you should know that mediocre stats don't mean jack when switching teams. There are plenty of examples both ways, where a QB looked decent in one system and like totally shit in another and vise versa. So again, Cato's very slight advantage in experience doesn't mean a whole lot when he's going to be playing in a new system.

You don't want an inexperienced back up. Ok that's fine. But Cato hasn't shown anything to immediately make him #2 here. He's legit had what 2 good games? He's played a hand full of starts. How is he experienced? He's not as green as Davis, but he certainly has a lot of green left on him. 

Does your opinion change now? At 10:56 AM?

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

None of which equals Cato is better than Davis.  That's really the only statement you made that anyone is pumping brakes on.

In the absence of knowledge you do not need to make stuff up.

53 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Cato had that good start to his career and fell off the map after wards, seen it happen a ton before so why are people so gung ho on him? Davis might be a total bust but I don't believe Cato is actually the player he initially showed either. 

have to look at the team he had around him. how did nichols do after replacing willy in 2015? Cato is far too young to expect him to have allready played his best ball... Its not like we are talking about him coming in to be the no1 either. 

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

Cato wouldn't be a bad #2 option, imo. Kind of a Reggie Slack option.

thats just turrible.