Around The League Off Season Discussion

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Lafrance coming home is terrific ....former Bison and I'm sure he'll pick up a lot from Harris...I like the fact  he is talented and has decided to return to his hometown... Never hurt Harris and another example is Labatte .. I never did buy the baloney it was because he was asked to do something different on the o line....He wanted to go home and he did, and played well until just recently...I will expect the same from Lafrance...not only because he was homegrown...he showed a lot of talent in the playoffs and has a Cup ring to prove it...

It's been well known for a long time that he knocked up his old lady, and that's why he moved back there...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

It's been well known for a long time that he knocked up his old lady, and that's why he moved back there...

Didn't Mack also wait until the last possible moment to re-sign him and try to get a hometown discount?

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

Didn't Mack also wait until the last possible moment to re-sign him and try to get a hometown discount?

The story was that Mack started a year and a half prior to his FA, to try and get him re-signed. Went to the end of the earth for the kid. Labatte was a well-known "Mud Bog" racer, and the team actually went so far as to help him try and sell advertising for his truck on the circuit. They did EVERYTHING to make him happy, but he still went home, 'cause, again....the girlfriend got preggo.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The story was that Mack started a year and a half prior to his FA, to try and get him re-signed. Went to the end of the earth for the kid. Labatte was a well-known "Mud Bog" racer, and the team actually went so far as to help him try and sell advertising for his truck on the circuit. They did EVERYTHING to make him happy, but he still went home, 'cause, again....the girlfriend got preggo.

That's not the way I remember Lawless describing the situation. But maybe I'm getting things confused.

#ThanksJoeMack

EDIT: So we lost him 'cause he done knocked up his sister?! Golly.

Edited by JCon

LaBatte used to live in our apt. complex on Edmonton St.  We had made arrangements to switch parking spots because he had a big truck. We brought up the subject of re-signing and he was very guarded. Very.

I can't speak to his intent in the long run, but I sure didn't get the feeling he was going to re-sign with the Bombers. There was no excitement and the vibe just wasn't there.

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Gives players a chance to get the jump on FA. It's a classy move, actually. Look at Shologan, released here & signs the next day with the Als.

And you get the bonus of another team committing some of their available FA money to a player you no longer have interest in. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yes. I thought the Als were half a million over the salary cap but they're still signing players.

its tough to gauge where they are sitting at. Yeah they were locked in to be over for 2016 but they released Carter and Stafford, recently Perrett, restructured Bowman.  I think shologan is only gonna be at most $125K-$130K and I expect them.  I expect a few other vets to get cut like Jovan Johnson, Crompton, SJ green... I think for 2017 they will be in a lot better shape cap wise

21 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

its tough to gauge where they are sitting at. Yeah they were locked in to be over for 2016 but they released Carter and Stafford, recently Perrett, restructured Bowman.  I think shologan is only gonna be at most $125K-$130K and I expect them.  I expect a few other vets to get cut like Jovan Johnson, Crompton, SJ green... I think for 2017 they will be in a lot better shape cap wise

I don't trust the CFL & Jeff Orridge to be honest about the salary cap. I wonder if a team is actually a half million over if they'd say or really ever do anything. It would handicap said team as well as embarrass the CFL. I think they'd keep it a secret. If Orridge can lie with a straight face about concussions then he & the league can lie even easier about teams being over the cap.

Edited by SpeedFlex27