Odds and Sods - West Semi- Bombers at BC

do or die

2 hours ago, LeBird said:

The odds of making a 61 yard field goal were no better than getting a first down on a 3 and 4 situation. Costly lesson but it is what it is.

Good luck to the Lions Next week. At least we'll have lost to a team that is going to the Grey Cup. 

I have to disagree with you completely on this one... our entire offense is based on 5-10 yard passes... you'd have to think they's have a good play queued up for situations like this... I handicapped it at about 50% to make the first down and about 10% for the FG (just my personal opinion not really based on anything other than what I saw in that game/history/gut feeling)...

49 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

As we made adjustments for BC, so did their crew. 

Let's face it, we took what they gave us. I don't think we shrunk into a shrink-wrap offence. We did complete a couple of passes in each the last two quarters of over 40 yards. One to Gudino, the other to Denmark. 

And I distinctly remember at least twice where, if not for a tackle by a BC defender, we would have gotten way more yardage. But there are plays out that to be made - by both teams. 

By the same token, you could say BC played a softer second half game also, the major difference being - they executed, we didn't. Especially tackling.

The game was exactly what it turned out to be  - close, and we didn't execute when we had the last chance. 

Hey, one more completion, and nobody's talking about playing it safe.

one more completion and we probably are talking about playing it safe, just we have the "we got away with it" tag on those comments. This isn't even about this one game either. It was close and close games ultimately come down to making a play here or there, but both Lapo and Hall are notorious for trying to not lose rather than trying to win and I for one do not subscribe to that philosophy.

The notoriety of LaPolice or Hall has no bearing on what happened in that game yesterday. Each team had its shots and took them. It still comes down to execution. One play is all we needed, but we didn't do it. One play is all they needed...and they did it. A very big difference, in this game, was not the notoriety of the co-ordinators, but simply on a scrambling QB. 

Jennings won that game for them because of his ability to scramble, not on Hall's schemes - unless you make the reach that his schemes and good coverage forced Jennings out of the pocket.

5 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Jennings won that game for them because of his ability to scramble, not on Hall's schemes - unless you make the reach that his schemes and good coverage forced Jennings out of the pocket.

I thought it was more so the easy 10 yard runs both Johnson and Rainy were getting after Wild and Bass whiffed on tackles  and also the super easy 10 yard passes they were giving by playing the DB's a mile off the receivers.   It was super weird considering Arceneaux was out and they could of easily doubled up on Burnham and trust the DBs to cover the other jobber receivers.

Lots of turning points in the game. BC's roughing the kicker penalty could have been the turning point. Their stupid taunting penalty when Adams dropped a pass could have been a turning point. Their big drive at the end of the first half might have been a turning point. The deep ball to JFG might have been one and the huge PI call too. The last turning point was the most important though. Trying a 61 yard FG.

Just now, Mr Dee said:

The notoriety of LaPolice or Hall has no bearing on what happened in that game yesterday. Each team had its shots and took them. It still comes down to execution. One play is all we needed, but we didn't do it. One play is all they needed...and they did it. A very big difference, in this game, was not the notoriety of the co-ordinators, but simply on a scrambling QB. 

Yes and no.

Playing 10 yards off the receivers on second and 6 doesn't really give your guy a chance to make a play. And Nicholls was on fire, let him push the ball down field all day as the lion linebackers were cheating up to stop Harris.

The argument for the defence playing off the ball is valid, but it's still not the reason we lost. The running up the gut is valid, but so is the mention of the whiffs. 

We did not lose on scheming. We lost because we didn't tackle when we had to. Way too many times...right up to the last BC series. We were always there..we just didn't make the play. 

We haven't tackled this poorly - team wise, for a long time. It haunted us yesterday.

For example, and only 2 examples. BC had the chance to stop two of our runs, and if they didn't , we score on one, and get many yards on another. They made the tackles. We had many more than two chances, to stop some runs..and didn't. 

It's football, they handled that aspect better than us. It shouldn't even have come down to the last couple of plays.

It should not of come down to that end.   We had a 19 point lead.  

But this D simply evaporated.  

As the game went on - Lions O went through right them like crap through a goose.   Even late, they had a million chances to make a stop and didn't make a single one.   We had guys in position to make a tackle and then proceed to whiff it, all day long.   BC got most of their YAC and big plays off of those.....

No pressure on Jennings, entire 2nd half, laying off a metric mile on receivers, gave up 10 yds a carry, and could not tackle my mother.

If it sounds like I am finger pointing, here........you bet.

5 hours ago, LeBird said:

The odds of making a 61 yard field goal were no better than getting a first down on a 3 and 4 situation. Costly lesson but it is what it is.

Good luck to the Lions Next week. At least we'll have lost to a team that is going to the Grey Cup Western finals. 

lol, no they are not.  30% is greater than 1 or 0%.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

one more completion and we probably are talking about playing it safe, just we have the "we got away with it" tag on those comments. This isn't even about this one game either. It was close and close games ultimately come down to making a play here or there, but both Lapo and Hall are notorious for trying to not lose rather than trying to win and I for one do not subscribe to that philosophy.

When you have an average starter at QB the play-calling will reflect that - safe and conservative.  A better Qb would lead to more aggressive play-calling.

3 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

When you have an average starter at QB the play-calling will reflect that - safe and conservative.  A better Qb would lead to more aggressive play-calling.

We've seen Lapo with better qbs and he's the same guy. conservative. That's why we ran him out of town when he had Khari Jones. And really the way Nichols was playing in that game was way better than average, his receivers don't drop some passes on him I bet he was over 500 yards too. Lapo is who he is and he ain't changing. 

1 hour ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Khari set all sorts of records with Paul as OC so I don't buy that.  There were some plays out there for Nichols in the second half and he failed to capitalize.  Bombers can win a Grey Cup with Lapo as OC but I doubt they will with Matt Nichols.

Don't you think Nichols was playing it according to the OC's plan.  

9 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm going to blame O'Shea for the awful (AWFUL) call at the end to try the 61 yard field goal, but that's just about where it's going to end. It's not going to turn into me insisting he be fired or suggesting that it's a reason for us not to extend him. Because the O'Shea who made that call is also the same O'Shea that got our team so prepared to play a road playoff game that they came out firing on all cylinders, played penalty-free football and it goes on and on.

I can wholeheartedly say after a full season to look back at that Mike O'Shea is a great coach that made a terrible ****ing call - it wasn't a call I agreed with before or after the missed field goal, but you know what - he'll learn from it. Bring on 2017. First overall pick, we're on the clock. Good luck to BC going forward.

I disagree. Good/great players make the plays when it counts and good/great coaches make the right calls when it counts. After a deathbed repentance, O'Shea finally inserted Nichols who carried the team to their win streak in mid-season. Yes, it coincided with upgrades to the O-line, but it ought to have happened a lot sooner. I am sure others can provide additional examples from this season and the past two. I do not think O'Shea has merited an extension.

Edited by tracker

I do not think O'Shea has merited an extension.

I look at this and wonder where you're going with this. Am I to believe that after years of the bullshirt we've been put through, you want to jettison the guy just as we're putting things together as a team? Listen to the players after that loss. To a man they believe they can do it, that is, get to a Cup. And that's with O'Shea. 

I see us as only getting better. Plug a few holes, deal a new hand, and power forward. We know what we can do. Let's find out how far we can do it.

21 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I look at this and wonder where you're going with this. Am I to believe that after years of the bullshirt we've been put through, you want to jettison the guy just as we're putting things together as a team? Listen to the players after that loss. To a man they believe they can do it, that is, get to a Cup. And that's with O'Shea. 

I see us as only getting better. Plug a few holes, deal a new hand, and power forward. We know what we can do. Let's find out how far we can do it.

I think its pretty obvious where I am going with this. I believe that O'Shea has shown that he does not have the good judgement to take the team to the Cup. Three years into his tenure and he makes a very bad rookie decision that costs the team the victory. Yes, the players love him, but have we not heard the same laments after each head coach has been gassed for good reason?

12 minutes ago, do or die said:

So, we want to get back on the ole 2 yr coaching carousel.....yet again.   MOS has made some mistakes, but in the larger picture, should be retained.....

Walters should be a slam dunk....

Yup I agree.  According to Lawless O'Shea and Walters will be meeting for pizza and beer in St. Norbert to discuss a new contract.  Get it done boys.

7 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Khari set all sorts of records with Paul as OC so I don't buy that.  There were some plays out there for Nichols in the second half and he failed to capitalize.  Bombers can win a Grey Cup with Lapo as OC but I doubt they will with Matt Nichols.

LaPo has as many Grey Cup wins as everybody on this board, despite having some pretty darn good QBs to work with.

Khari when he set those records in 02 ran the same stuff he ran in 2000 and 2001, pre Lapo. 2003, we got the Lapo offense. Stats go down, points down, wins down and he's fired.

Lapo is an average OC.

17 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

LaPo has as many Grey Cup wins as everybody on this board, despite having some pretty darn good QBs to work with.

Khari when he set those records in 02 ran the same stuff he ran in 2000 and 2001, pre Lapo. 2003, we got the Lapo offense. Stats go down, points down, wins down and he's fired.

Lapo is an average OC.

In 2009 Lapo was only a 13th man away from winning.  That was a tough break.