Bombers at Lions WSF GDT

Nolby

19 minutes ago, do or die said:

For all the above.....you are not going to win a playoff game, with that kind of garbage D.

I take issue with calling it a garbage D. Garbage tackling yes, but that defence has helped us win a lot of games. BC is not a weak team. Would you call BC's defence a garbage D? They allowed 459 yards from our offence..

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I take issue with calling it a garbage D. Garbage tackling yes, but that defence has helped us win a lot of games. BC is not a weak team. Would you call BC's defence a garbage D? They allowed 459 yards from our offence..

every team knows to beat our D is to run through it in the middle... and that's what the Leos did. also Hurl coming in for Bass for some series didnt help it. 

2 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

every team knows to beat our D is to run through it in the middle... and that's what the Leos did. also Hurl coming in for Bass for some series didnt help it. 

There was plenty of ways to beat our D yesterday,  those little dink and dunk passes followed by our own defenders tripping over themselves was one of those ways too.  Far too often this year our team played 1 good half of football, 1 bad half. this was no exceptions and it ultimately bit us in the ass

5 minutes ago, do or die said:

Yes the D has done good things this year - especially the turnovers.   

Sorry but on that particular day, in the biggest game of the year - it was trash, in all phases.     

Besides, I am hung over and still angry.

Same here. I feel crap today. Called the boss and told him I cant work. LOL!

The defence was not good this year.  They gave up the most net yards in the CFL.  They were the worst in that category giving up an average of 408 yards a game. That is not good and if it wasn't for the turnovers that they created all year they would have been at the bottom of the heap in terms of  points against as well.

22 minutes ago, Dascow said:

Getting 4 yards in one play is about the same odds as kicking a 61 yard field goal?

There has never been a field goal made indoors at that distance in the history of the CFL and you honestly think the odds are the same as making 4 yards?

That opinion defies all logic.

That's because the only time you actually try a field goal from that far is when you have to score the field goal to win with no time left so the situation doesn't come up too often. Some kickers don't have the leg to do it either but we know that Medlock has the leg to put it 60 yards, he didn't on that particular kick but he has kicked it that distance plenty of times before so it's not like it's a can't be done thing, it just didn't happen this time. The way the offense was sputtering to end the game third down was no guarantee either and then we still have to most likely kick a long field goal anyway. 

O'Shea gave the best kicker in the league a chance to win, it didn't happen and we move onto next year. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That's because the only time you actually try a field goal from that far is when you have to score the field goal to win with no time left so the situation doesn't come up too often. Some kickers don't have the leg to do it either but we know that Medlock has the leg to put it 60 yards, he didn't on that particular kick but he has kicked it that distance plenty of times before so it's not like it's a can't be done thing, it just didn't happen this time. The way the offense was sputtering to end the game third down was no guarantee either and then we still have to most likely kick a long field goal anyway. 

O'Shea gave the best kicker in the league a chance to win, it didn't happen and we move onto next year. 

I'm sorry but I could not disagree with you more on this one.

The reason you never see a 61 yarder attempted is because no coach worth their salt would try it. (Unless you have a Janikowski type kicker, which Medlock is not, in terms of leg strength.) The only time you might see it is when they are in desperation mode because there is no time left on the clock. In any other situation it is ludicrous to try a 61 yard field goal. I have never seen it attempted with ample time still left on the clock in my many years watching football.

I don't care how good Justin Medlock is, he has never made a kick in a dome from that distance in a game, which is night and day different than doing it practice, because no one in the history of the CFL has done it.

We are talking about odds here.  We are talking about the odds of a kicker making a kick that has never been made in the history of the CFL to putting your offence back on the field to try and get 4 yards. Of course it's not a sure thing that they make the 4 yards, but the odds are better. A lot better.

It was a meat head decision by O'Shea.

17 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I totally agree, O'Shea's decision was worse than Wally's but that doesn't exclude the similarity of the situations as the odds of success were nearly zero.

30% or so success rate on 3rd and 4 is not nearly 0.  A 61-yard field goal attempt that has never been made in a dome is though. 

The most important thing, I think, is everyone just needs to move on from it. They made the choice, it didn't work, so be it. Let's all move on and just start to focus on 2017...it's going to be a great off-season for the team with a lotta great things happening as we continue to build what should be a great team...

5 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Where do you get 1% chance of the kick being made?  IMO the 3rd and 4 vs 61 yard FG with Medlock in a dome are about equal odds.  If Medlock hit that kick 10 times he'd make 3-4, same for the 3rd down play.

The only difference is the time on the clock.  Even if you make that kick...BC has too much time.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  A 61-yard field goal kick that has never been made in a dome in the history of the CFL has about equal odds of success as a 3rd and four (someone already pointed out the success rate of 4 of 12 on 3rd and four attempts in the CFL this year).  Use some common sense man.  I thought you were the resident expert on football around here?

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The most important thing, I think, is everyone just needs to move on from it. They made the choice, it didn't work, so be it. Let's all move on and just start to focus on 2017...it's going to be a great off-season for the team with a lotta great things happening as we continue to build what should be a great team...

Someone's praying, Lord, kumbaya

sorry couldn't resist.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Agree. Off to hibernation. We are picking 1st and 5th comes May, correct? - 1) Wpg 2) Ssk 3) BC 4) Ham 5) Wpg 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I cant' stand this whole arguing over the kick (but I get that it's a messageboard and it's what we do...)

Interesting note from Nichols that he was totally understanding of the kick:

@DTonSC @RGR_Classic Nichols added they saw him hit 60-yards throughout season in practice including one 66 yarder

Before games all coaches ask their kickers what ranges they are comfortable with.  OShea would have asked Medlock if he thought he could make that kick.  Medlock would have said yes.  The 58 yarder he kicked earlier in the year had 8 yards to spare.  61 isn't some ludicrous distance.  Not with Medlock.

With over a half minute left, I'm still calling a passing play.

But believing Medlock can make that kick?  Nothing crazy about that.  He's been our most consistent player this year, best kicker in the league this year.

I think some fallout on this might be losing Nichols because of that last call.Seems like when the chips were down MOS didn't want to give his QB a shot....wonder if it had been Willy if he would of done that....seems to be a lack of faith in Nichols but we will see.

13 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Before games all coaches ask their kickers what ranges they are comfortable with.  OShea would have asked Medlock if he thought he could make that kick.  Medlock would have said yes.  The 58 yarder he kicked earlier in the year had 8 yards to spare.  61 isn't some ludicrous distance.  Not with Medlock.

With over a half minute left, I'm still calling a passing play.

But believing Medlock can make that kick?  Nothing crazy about that.  He's been our most consistent player this year, best kicker in the league this year.

He made that kick out doors mbrg with a wind at his back. There's a big difference between the two situations. And history agrees with me.

If there's 36 seconds left in the game and your that far out, you try and get the 4 yards.  That's a no brainer, or it should be.

61 yards is too far of a kick to ask of even the best kicker, (which I believe Medlock is.), in a dome.

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

There was plenty of ways to beat our D yesterday,  those little dink and dunk passes

I agree dink and dunk worked great.... actually pretty smart Offence once they got going, they used dink and dunk, power running, and some long passes. Khari really mixed it up.

I hate dink and dunk. And I don't understand why our D is so easy to run on up the middle. why couldn't they stop that all year?

Edited by Mark F

8 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I agree dink and dunk worked great.... actually pretty smart Offence once they got going, they used dink and dunk, power running, and some long passes. Khari really mixed it up.

I hate dink and dunk. And I don't understand why our D is so easy to run on up the middle. why couldn't they stop that all year?

Hint: his number is 2 and he played like #2 for a good deal of the season. And #38 shouldn't expect kudos either.

40 minutes ago, Dascow said:

He made that kick out doors mbrg with a wind at his back. There's a big difference between the two situations. And history agrees with me.

If there's 36 seconds left in the game and your that far out, you try and get the 4 yards.  That's a no brainer, or it should be.

61 yards is too far of a kick to ask of even the best kicker, (which I believe Medlock is.), in a dome.

History means nothing because it's not something that has a large enough sample size. How many kicks did Medlock make from 50 with 10 yards to spare? I bet it was quite a few. The guy has the leg strength to hit from that distance, like I said before, on that kick he didn't get the distance he needed and that's all she wrote but it's not like it's impossible to kick the ball that far in a dome. 

If they'd gambled on 3rd and 4 and not made it we'd all be sitting here going "Y U NO KICK?!?! MEDLOCK HAS TEH LEG!!11!!!"