Chris Jones Post Game

rebusrankin

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

If you believe the hype though, the Rider fans firmly believe that they also drive up attendance across the league as they have such strong fan bases in other cities.  This can be supported by the fact that when you watch a Sask-Calgary game for instance, half the stands are green even if the game is in Calgary.  So the thinking is that the fans punish the CFL by just not attending Rider games on the road.  Which is a stupid theory, but it is what it is.  I went to a Jets/Coyotes game and a Cardinals/Seattle NFL game in Phoenix in early January and there were people in Rider jerseys at both games.  Who wears a Rider jersey to a hockey game????

Hard to choose between "hicks" or "morons"..... hmmm.....

The Rider thing is cool if you're a Rider's fan.  When I went to Jamaica on Vacation, it would never have occurred to me to bring a jets or Bombers flag to drape over my balcony to "represent".  But there was a Riders flag draped over a balcony at the resort.  the "cool" thing is to be seen.  Are they better fans than anyone else?  No.  Its just their schtick to be seen.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The Rider thing is cool if you're a Rider's fan.  When I went to Jamaica on Vacation, it would never have occurred to me to bring a jets or Bombers flag to drape over my balcony to "represent".  But there was a Riders flag draped over a balcony at the resort.  the "cool" thing is to be seen.  Are they better fans than anyone else?  No.  Its just their schtick to be seen.

yup.  Endured an entire Rider gaggle that congregated at the pool at my resort in Maui a few years ago, all gathered around a laptop so they could listen to Rod Pedersen's broadcast online.  They also all showed up with their coolers full of beer etc bought off the resort, so not only did they chase away all of the customers spending money at the resort buying drinks, but they didn't buy any themselves from the resort.  And they had to mount a stupid Rider banner as well.  All to show their reverence to their team, in a foreign country, where no one knows or cares who the Riders are.  This disaster was a long time in the making, and sure looks good on these watermelon heads.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

35 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

If you believe the hype though, the Rider fans firmly believe that they also drive up attendance across the league as they have such strong fan bases in other cities.  This can be supported by the fact that when you watch a Sask-Calgary game for instance, half the stands are green even if the game is in Calgary.  So the thinking is that the fans punish the CFL by just not attending Rider games on the road.  Which is a stupid theory, but it is what it is.  I went to a Jets/Coyotes game and a Cardinals/Seattle NFL game in Phoenix in early January and there were people in Rider jerseys at both games.  Who wears a Rider jersey to a hockey game????

self evidently rider fans. who wears a football jersey in Hawaii. Rider fans. 

14 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yup.  Endured an entire Rider gaggle that congregated at the pool at my resort in Maui a few years ago, all gathered around a laptop so they could listen to Rod Pedersen's broadcast online.  They also all showed up with their coolers full of beer etc bought off the resort, so not only did they chase away all of the customers spending money at the resort buying drinks, but they didn't buy any themselves from the resort.  And they had to mount a stupid Rider banner as well.  All to show their reverence to their team, in a foreign country, where no one knows or cares who the Riders are.  This disaster was a long time in the making, and sure looks good on these watermelon heads.

We were a group of Jets fans and certainly not obnoxious.  One night while we were relaxing at the outdoor lounge, I managed to get the Jets game streaming on my phone and we got a kick out of leaning my phone against a beer glass and watching it.  Another night, we were at Margaritaville and asked if they'd put the Jets game on one of the TV's, which they did.  No obvnoxiousness.

Ok, but being in a close relationship/basically an employee as compared to being on the pay roll of the Riders makes a difference on how the CFL can handle Rods constant ramblings. If he's not on the rider payroll officially. They can't do jack ****. They sure as hell can't punish a team for something a mouth piece writes when he's not on their payroll. I honestly don't see the CFL having any sort of weight in a conversation about him.

It's got to come from the rider fans. And considering they are eating it up left right and centre. I don't see that happening either.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

The same kind of person who screams out "TRUE NORTH!!!" at a football game, I would imagine.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

He received a Grey Cup ring from the club after the 2007 Grey Cup so I would say he's part of the team (whether they pay him directly or not).

My understanding is that he works for the Riders as their PBP man, rather than working for CKRM. CKRM happens to be the host broadcaster, but they have a unique situation where the PBP guy is not actually an employee of the radio station, but rather of the team. So, in theory, if the broadcast rights went to a different station, Rod would move with the rights. 

Now, that's my understanding of it, but I have not been able to get conclusive answers from radio friends over there...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

My understanding is that he works for the Riders as their PBP man, rather than working for CKRM. CKRM happens to be the host broadcaster, but they have a unique situation where the PBP guy is not actually an employee of the radio station, but rather of the team. So, in theory, if the broadcast rights went to a different station, Rod would move with the rights. 

Now, that's my understanding of it, but I have not been able to get conclusive answers from radio friends over there...

I would not be surprised if he gets paid from both. Also does pbp for Pats.

8 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I would not be surprised if he gets paid from both. Also does pbp for Pats.

does he still do Pats? I thought I heard, some time ago, that he was asked by CKRM to give up one or the other, so he chose the Riders over the Pats. I wonder if that's how this agreement came to be....he's being paid by the Riders for their games, and paid by RM for the Pats. This way he can do both, but RM is only paying him the OT for one thing....could be.......

Yep, he was given an ultimatum awhile back...I remember that....and he chose Riders. I have some friends working in Regina, but I have a hard time getting a straight answer on what exactly the deal is. I believe Rod still hosts "Sports Cage" in the afternoon for them, but that may also be a freelance kinda thing.....but, as I stated, my understanding is that his calls of Riders games is paid for by the team. 

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yep, he was given an ultimatum awhile back...I remember that....and he chose Riders. I have some friends working in Regina, but I have a hard time getting a straight answer on what exactly the deal is. I believe Rod still hosts "Sports Cage" in the afternoon for them, but that may also be a freelance kinda thing.....but, as I stated, my understanding is that his calls of Riders games is paid for by the team. 

That's kinda what I was under the impression he did. The Bombers don't pay Bob Irving for PBP do they? CJOB pays him do they not?

5 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

That's kinda what I was under the impression he did. The Bombers don't pay Bob Irving for PBP do they? CJOB pays him do they not?

Bob Irving is strictly an employee of Corus Entertainment. 100% independent of the WBB FC, aside from the fact that Corus owns the exclusive broadcast rights to the team....that much, I know for a fact.

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Bob Irving is strictly an employee of Corus Entertainment. 100% independent of the WBB FC, aside from the fact that Corus owns the exclusive broadcast rights to the team....that much, I know for a fact.

Ok that's also what I thought :) So in saying that. If Pedersen is paid in anyway directly from the Rider organization and is on a Rider payroll then the league would have authority to hand him down a fine or one to the Rider organization for letting him run his mouth. He really should be careful on how he acts in the media.

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How did he call it?

The start of it was nothing special, just the volume:

"He's got it at the 20, moves left, gets away, NOW HE CUTS BACK, AT THE 30, 35, 40, 45, STILL ON HIS FEET!!!! The 50, 45, 40..." which is all OK if you don't mind hearing the screaming from 2 Provinces over without the need for a microphone, but it was the "GO KENDAL!!! GO KENDAL!!! GO KENDAL!!!!!! KEEP GOING KENDAL!!!!!! YESSSS!!!!!!! TOUCHDOWN 'RIDERS! WHAT A CLASSIC!!!!" blatant cheerleading on the call which is the epitome of classless and unprofessional broadcasting.