Lawless says there is trade market for Willy

Mike

42 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Willy had a subpar O-line, but had great receivers. Nichols has a pretty good O-line, but horrific receivers. These things tend to balance themselves out.

How would Nichols do if he was ''afforded assets'' like Weston Dressler, Darvin Adams and Ryan Smith?

Well we saw what he did with one half of Dressler and almost a full game of Adams in that Edmonton game they won, and he did pretty freaking good.

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

Willy had a subpar O-line, but had great receivers. Nichols has a pretty good O-line, but horrific receivers. These things tend to balance themselves out.

How would Nichols do if he was ''afforded assets'' like Weston Dressler, Darvin Adams and Ryan Smith?

Calling our OL for the first 5 games "subpar" is being extremely generous.  It was horrific.  The receivers haven't been that bad even down to Mayo and Davis.  Denmark is a #1 receiver.  Adams and McDuffie are relatively useless.  The OL trumps the receiving group all the time.  Look at the average gain on 1st down between the OL's.  You or I could play receiver with this OL and our team would have a chance to win.  Can't begin to compare Nichols and Willy in 2016 until we can see them behind the same guys.

8 hours ago, IC Khari said:

... and yet that money issue may become a problem with our playoff push. I could see a move, I'm hoping it's for some very good pieces if so. I am old enough (even though I was a kid) to remember the Bombers trading Don Jonas to Hamilton for Chuck Ealey, That didn't end well for both teams like they thought it would IIRC. We can't give Willy away, not matter how much he's making.

You remember that trade? Man, I'm truly impressed. It was the day after Labour Day in Regina, Sept, 1974. I flew out for that game & went to see it with my cousin who lived at that time in Regina. I happened to have the same flight back with the Bombers to Winnipeg as I had to work the next day.

The best thing I remember about that flight was Bombers OG Tufuuli Uperesa was flirting with a flight attendant & putting his hands where they shouldn't have been. (I actually saw him touch her ass). He ordered a drink & she brought it to him. She "accidentally" spilled the drink all over him & he became enraged. However, immediately when he saw his teammates howling with laughter he settled right down & started laughing himself. Score one for the flight attendant. You go, girl!

Story was GM Earl Lunsford had consummated the Jonas for Ealey trade on the plane or before & told him as he was getting off. (I don't know if that was true or not, just what I had heard). The 2 teams announced the trade the day after the game on Tuesday.  The game was played on the Monday instead of Sunday back then, IIRC.

At least Jonas went out a winner for the Bombers defeating the Riders in the Labour Day game which doesn't happen often these days.

Edited by iso_55

45 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Calling our OL for the first 5 games "subpar" is being extremely generous.  It was horrific.  The receivers haven't been that bad even down to Mayo and Davis.  Denmark is a #1 receiver.  Adams and McDuffie are relatively useless.  The OL trumps the receiving group all the time.  Look at the average gain on 1st down between the OL's.  You or I could play receiver with this OL and our team would have a chance to win.  Can't begin to compare Nichols and Willy in 2016 until we can see them behind the same guys.

So you are saying that getting Bond and Foketi on the line and Neufeld off the line has been a positive move.  Hmmm....

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Lawless is smoking crack if he thinks anyone is interested in 411k for Willy.

if you think cost is going to be the primary limiting factor for a team that is in the the back of the play off race with qb struggles or a starter with injury concerns and no viable back up you might be too. Also, as pointed out in this thread earlier, its more like iirc 170k for the rest of the season. Some thing like 90k less then mtl paid for half a season of henoc muamba. 

8 hours ago, White Out said:

Lol. Ok fair. But opinions on things that are a matter of taste are hard to argue. Like which season is best fall or winter. 

But opinions on things that carry facts and data are a bit different. An opinion that Rich Gannon  is a better qb than Peyton Manning is likely to be held as unpopular and incorrect by most. 

Facts and stats can be manipulated to prove just about anything. 

5 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

can you even fly between Winnipeg and Regina anymore?  What airline was that Iso?

West Jet and Air Canada both have non-stop flights.

13 hours ago, wbbfan said:

if you think cost is going to be the primary limiting factor for a team that is in the the back of the play off race with qb struggles or a starter with injury concerns and no viable back up you might be too. Also, as pointed out in this thread earlier, its more like iirc 170k for the rest of the season. Some thing like 90k less then mtl paid for half a season of henoc muamba. 

Muamba is a national starter, not a backup qb. Huge difference

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

*sigh* you had potential, Ripper

Mike, come on. I like Drew and have been in his corner the whole time. He is making a lot of money for a guy who has basically been replaced.  Would teams maybe be interested, possibly, but no way at that kind of money. I also think betting the farm on Nichols the rest of the way is a huge mistake for the Bombers. I'm not insisting that he could not be moved. I see it very unlikely, and see it as foolish to even consider. I can't believe honestly that anyone thinks teams would be in hurry to take on that salary. For half of that, he could get moved. On the other hand, for half of that why would the Bombers want to move him at all.. Only reason you are even talking about it is because of his salary, which is the very reason why other teams would be Leary.

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Mike, come on. I like Drew and have been in his corner the whole time. He is making a lot of money for a guy who has basically been replaced.  Would teams maybe be interested, possibly, but no way at that kind of money. I also think betting the farm on Nichols the rest of the way is a huge mistake for the Bombers. I'm not insisting that he could not be moved. I see it very unlikely, and see it as foolish to even consider. I can't believe honestly that anyone thinks teams would be in hurry to take on that salary. For half of that, he could get moved. On the other hand, for half of that why would the Bombers want to move him at all.. Only reason you are even talking about it is because of his salary, which is the very reason why other teams would be Leary.

That's great and all but I'll take media reports (and it's not just Lawless) over your opinion if we're talking who would pay what for Drew Willy.

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_x said:

We should keep willy and deal with his salary in the offseason.   I'm hoping we get to see him again soon, preferably whe we are up 30 points at the half and we are protecting nichols

Rather see Davis in this situation. Not a knock on Willy, but it would be nice for the kid to get some reps.

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's great and all but I'll take media reports (and it's not just Lawless) over your opinion if we're talking who would pay what for Drew Willy.

Only posting my opinion. I just don't always believe Lawless, he always bashes the Riders every chance he gets. He is a pegger and always pumps the Bombers tires whenever he can too

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Only posting my opinion. I just don't always believe Lawless, he always bashes the Riders every chance he gets. He is a pegger and always pumps the Bombers tires whenever he can too

To be fair to Lawless, he did write the puff piece that TSN aired at the beginning of the year on Chris Jones that aired (during a Bomber game FFS).

13 minutes ago, Ripper said:

He is from Ontario worked for the Argos and he bashed the Bombers good till they found the proper people to run the team. 

31 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

We should keep willy and deal with his salary in the offseason.   I'm hoping we get to see him again soon, preferably whe we are up 30 points at the half and we are protecting nichols

Fact of the matter is willy has not had a good oline from day one. In each of his first two years  he managed  early season victories while amassing massive damage along the way. He was broke down and had not recovered in the games he played this year. That was clear to the fans and especially  his teammates.  

He gave this team everything he had in year one and two. To start the year he was just a shell of what he was. He needs more time to regain that old form. He needs more time to work through his injury and trust his leg can once again take a hard shot. This is a mental hurdle he can come back from. Plenty of qbs have. Nichols has had the same battle in his career. We can afford Willy the rest of the season to sit and recover. We can revisit his contract in the offseason. We can allow him to battle for the starting position in training camp next year.

I hope this is how everything unfolds. This is how a classy organization would handle Willy.

Edited by MyDogHasScheifeles

34 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Glad that post started the way it did, saved you a bit of face.  I'm not going to defend Lawless 'cuz he certainly has deserved criticism in the past - but not for what you suggest. He's an Ontaria guy, for one. So, no not a pegger.  And whether it's true or not, he's always talked about how a big part of his job is not being a fan & not cheering for any team. Would he rather see us win and be playing well....playoffs etc.  Well, sure. Makes his job more fun.  But lumping him in to the Rod Pedersen level of journalism is unfair & unfounded.   

If anything, he pumps the tires of people in the organization. Always been a Walters fan, always been an Osh guy etc.  

Really the whole notion that ANY sports media in and around Wpg have been pumping this team's tires of late - like last few yrs, not 4 gm W streak - is laughable.  People from outside of Wpg actually believe the Bombers have had respect around here since the Mack days?!?!

1 hour ago, Mike said:

*sigh* you had potential, Ripper

Debatable.   

Last year Willie was sacked 79 times and hit time and time again. Nichols has been sacked twice in the last two games and rarely hit. Now if theses hits do not play on a guys mind, thinking the next hit could be the last for the year it sure seems to affect other QBs. 

The guy is a slower pocket passer and I don't think you can change that. The club did not try all that hard to accommodate him. 

Maybe we should get rid of him but but we should also remember Glenn's departure. Nichols is playing great but so was Willy in his first games. We just can't go with unproven backup QBs. The opponents should have been  made to pay when they brought the house.