Thank you, admin/mods

Jacquie

No, we would never do anything like that! We would never hire managers who mess with salaries so we can't keep premier players (Taman). We would never release proven commodities so we could bring in some flash in the pan (Kelly). We would never let someone decimate our Canadian talent because well, I don't know how that happened (Mack).  We're smarter than that...         ... now.

Sorry Ripper, this could get real ugly before it gets better.

5 minutes ago, Dee Urban Hermit said:

No, we would never do anything like that! We would never hire managers who mess with salaries so we can't keep premier players (Taman). We would never release proven commodities so we could bring in some flash in the pan (Kelly). We would never let someone decimate our Canadian talent because well, I don't know how that happened (Mack).  We're smarter than that...         ... now.

Sorry Ripper, this could get real ugly before it gets better.

I think we are on rock bottom. What are we going to do from here lose or get fined. I think we have both covered

13 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

The Riders meanwhile didn't sign the big names on the 1st day of FA as Jones tried to find value players on day 2.  But it didn't end there.  25-30 of the players on the Riders' roster at the start of the season were from other CFL teams.  Looks like all the Riders' 25 scouts do is check out the other CFL teams. 

That's not true... they signed Capicotti, Shawn Lemon, Curtis Steele, Shawmad Chambers... those guys are all working out great... right?

11 hours ago, Ripper said:

Not true, both are off the payroll after this year I believe. I could be wrong

you sound confident ;)

I may greatly dislike many of the fans of Saskatchewan and the league/TSN/whoever go on and on about how "great" the fans are but I think people are forgetting the only reason that this and any other Bomber forum isn't a hot mess right now is because the team is on a win streak and is looking much better. Four weeks ago we were heading more and more to hot mess. While the moderators/admins are not bad here they were definitely aligned with the pro-team boardies who were prone to using personal insults as a means to try and "win" discussions or force the critical folks off the boards. So I have no doubts that if the bannings had started it would have been critics being the banned first and more commonly because, face it, admins and mods  and the pro-team side are all the same clique. You never see admins and mods chosen from the ranks of the critics or those who are not of the clique.

Now I do like seeing the Rider nation in an uproar. Maybe it will knock some reality not only back into the fan base but into reporters and broadcasters who love to pump the egos of Rider nation. They do have a good fan base, they definitely turned it around because 10-15 years ago they were absent from the stands and the product on the field was a hot mess. Until we see what happens if they ever go into a long lean period again can we truly label as "best in the league". My guess is, like most sports franchises, the seats would start to empty.

/rant

On August 19, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Dragon37 said:

I may greatly dislike many of the fans of Saskatchewan and the league/TSN/whoever go on and on about how "great" the fans are but I think people are forgetting the only reason that this and any other Bomber forum isn't a hot mess right now is because the team is on a win streak and is looking much better. Four weeks ago we were heading more and more to hot mess. While the moderators/admins are not bad here they were definitely aligned with the pro-team boardies who were prone to using personal insults as a means to try and "win" discussions or force the critical folks off the boards. So I have no doubts that if the bannings had started it would have been critics being the banned first and more commonly because, face it, admins and mods  and the pro-team side are all the same clique. You never see admins and mods chosen from the ranks of the critics or those who are not of the clique.

Now I do like seeing the Rider nation in an uproar. Maybe it will knock some reality not only back into the fan base but into reporters and broadcasters who love to pump the egos of Rider nation. They do have a good fan base, they definitely turned it around because 10-15 years ago they were absent from the stands and the product on the field was a hot mess. Until we see what happens if they ever go into a long lean period again can we truly label as "best in the league". My guess is, like most sports franchises, the seats would start to empty.

/rant

Generalizations are not your friend.

i haven't posted much in awhile but I'm hardly pro team and I'm definitely not part of a clique.    I tend to take the view that nothing is as good as it seems, nothing is as bad as it seems.  It's called perspective and objectivity.

I think one of the main criticisms people have with *some* of the negative posters is that they ONLY post when the team is shitting the bed and at that point, they aren't interested in a discussion .. they are just noise.

We give people a lot of leeway to discuss their views and yes, from time to time, things get heated. Some of that stems from the fact that we've "known" each other for a decade or more and sometimes familiarity DOES breed contempt. 

*shrug*

On ‎08‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:50 AM, Dragon37 said:

/rant

I take serious issue with this post for so many reasons that I don't know where to begin. There's no alignment with "pro-team" members. There's no "clique" on this website. And if you think we wouldn't select someone to be a staff member here simply because they're critical of the club, you're absolutely mistaken.

Many of these critics need to take a look in the mirror if they don't understand why there tends to be what could be conceived as a "bias" against them. It's not because of their views. It's because a fair share of the critics also tend to be the emotional, volatile type of poster that requires the most moderation. We have never and will never punish anyone because they are critical of the team, but if that criticism is shaped in a way that violates the few simple rules this forum has, then it's handled appropriately.

On 19/08/2016 at 7:50 AM, Dragon37 said:

/rant

Oh please it's the negative people who are quickest to insult people for the great crime of not being part of their lynch mob. Maybe it's not really a personal insult and just people saying that the emotional and irrational responses are stupid and those types of people getting butt hurt for being called out on it. 

The funny thing is you could go to a lot of the members of the perceived clique and I’m willing to bet they could tell you stories of how they’ve been unfairly moderated at times and didn’t at all agree with our decisions.

Moderating people is a crap and thankless job that no matter what you do (or don’t do) someone is going to be very unhappy and critical of how you do it.   So you basically do what you believe is the best and most fair to the site and learn when it doesn’t work out.

As a general rule, I will try to moderate the least amount possible.  I don’t like editing / deleting posts and people don’t like it when I edit / delete their posts.  

I will usually give things a couple of posts to see how they are going to turn out and step in when I think things are going off the rails.  The perception of this at times can be unfair or inconsistent moderating.   But I will take that accusation over a site that is governed with an iron fist.  I don’t think anyone here wants to see that.

As to how moderators are chosen.  We haven’t had a lot of turnover in the ranks and new ones are rarely added because of that.  Most of the current team is the same team that came over from OB with the exception of JPan.  JPan was added because of the commitment and time he was putting in to running the Lock of the Week contest.  It only made sense, and he has been a great addition.

I’ve always been very open to feedback and if there is any way this site is running that you think can be made better or questions on how decisions are made, my PM is always open.  And feedback from posters in the past has changed the way we do and view certain things.

And I’ve said this before … this is a community that moderators and admins can only guide.  If you see a post that you think is inappropriate, report it.  It will draw our attention to it faster and there have been times where I’ve read a post and thought nothing of it, but upon second read because of someone reporting it, did take action on it.

If you want to complain about how the site is run but don’t do anything yourself to make it better, or suggest how things should be done differently, then you are really just as much to blame. 

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

The funny thing is you could go to a lot of the members of the perceived clique and I’m willing to bet they could tell you stories of how they’ve been unfairly moderated at times and didn’t at all agree with our decisions.

*waves* :)  #IHeartMBB 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I too have stepped over the line once or twice and have been called for it.  If anyone thinks that this forum is not well moderated, they really need to visit other fan sites and see what a badly moderated **** show can look like.  *cough* Riderfans *cough*

3 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I too have stepped over the line once or twice and have been called for it.  If anyone thinks that this forum is not well moderated, they really need to visit other fan sites and see what a badly moderated **** show can look like.  *cough* Riderfans *cough*

Ditto. I'm guilty as well.

after the **** show that was the mike kelly era and how bad OB became (seriously thats what riderfans has become) I just dont get as emotionally invested in posting as I may have been at one time, were i feel the need to argue a point till the dead horse is black and blue. seems like thats usually the cause of most problems, 2 sides needing the last word.  but at the end of the day if i still smoked the devils lettuce,  i'd sit back, light one up and remember....

On August 22, 2016 at 7:22 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

after the **** show that was the mike kelly era and how bad OB became (seriously thats what riderfans has become) I just dont get as emotionally invested in posting as I may have been at one time, were i feel the need to argue a point till the dead horse is black and blue. seems like thats usually the cause of most problems, 2 sides needing the last word.  but at the end of the day if i still smoked the devils lettuce,  i'd sit back, light one up and remember....

Yeah I can't get emotionally involved much in any of these Bomber forums any more.  Case in point I could get all up in arms about the three replies that quoted my first post but I can't be bothered. They chose to take it negatively when it was just stating that this forum can be and is likely seen differently depending on your POV. I did mention that I found the forum moderation not bad, I have seen far more poorly moderated forums than this one. I do appreciate that they rarely lock threads and generally step in at appropriate times. By no means are they perfect and the rulers of the forum should always be aware that they should never become complacent or lean more to one side or the other. It is the interwebs and glory days can evaporate very quickly .... Sometimes due to factors they cannot control such as, in the case of this forum the Bombers imploding or doing something to alienate the community. I have seen it happen before to many "good" forums.

On August 22, 2016 at 1:13 PM, 17to85 said:

Oh please it's the negative people who are quickest to insult people for the great crime of not being part of their lynch mob. Maybe it's not really a personal insult and just people saying that the emotional and irrational responses are stupid and those types of people getting butt hurt for being called out on it. 

Well from what I have seen both fan and critic have been quick to pull out insults. And you are completely right often there may not even be an insult contained in a post.

On August 22, 2016 at 0:52 PM, Mike said:

I take serious issue with this post for so many reasons that I don't know where to begin. There's no alignment with "pro-team" members. There's no "clique" on this website. And if you think we wouldn't select someone to be a staff member here simply because they're critical of the club, you're absolutely mistaken.

Many of these critics need to take a look in the mirror if they don't understand why there tends to be what could be conceived as a "bias" against them. It's not because of their views. It's because a fair share of the critics also tend to be the emotional, volatile type of poster that requires the most moderation. We have never and will never punish anyone because they are critical of the team, but if that criticism is shaped in a way that violates the few simple rules this forum has, then it's handled appropriately.

I am sorry that you don't see groups of posters here on this forum. They are here the fact that you don't outright deny there are pro and critic is confirmation. I think too, if you go back and read some old threads emotion is not just on the side of "critics". The grouping or clique forming is not usually an intentional thing so don't view it as a bad thing. 

As for, choosing moderators. Who you guys choose is up to you and no business of mine but of the people you see as "critics" are there any you would have no problem at all as having as a moderator? Paint me as skeptical of your claims but if you can indeed say yes then I most certainly apologize if you can't think of one then ...

On August 21, 2016 at 8:47 PM, voodoochylde said:

Generalizations are not your friend.

i haven't posted much in awhile but I'm hardly pro team and I'm definitely not part of a clique.    I tend to take the view that nothing is as good as it seems, nothing is as bad as it seems.  It's called perspective and objectivity.

I think one of the main criticisms people have with *some* of the negative posters is that they ONLY post when the team is shitting the bed and at that point, they aren't interested in a discussion .. they are just noise.

We give people a lot of leeway to discuss their views and yes, from time to time, things get heated. Some of that stems from the fact that we've "known" each other for a decade or more and sometimes familiarity DOES breed contempt. 

*shrug*

I don't post much on any Bomber forum any more either probably because it is just to polarizing to be on a team fan forum. No matter which side you fall on there is really not much we can do and the more we argue more both sides become jerks.

I don't think you should be too surprised that more people come out of the woodwork when things are not going right. That is the nature of many fan forums. They are much like comment sections after news articles. People are far more interested in talking about what drives them nuts than what they love. Take a look at this forum in dead winter pretty dead when there is something to discuss that requires an opinion then people start popping by. When the team is winning what is there to talk about? Forums thrive on debate if we can all agree on something that's not much reason to post. (It can work the same way if the team is continually crappy eventually all the arguing over how crappy or not the team is eventually just wears one out and people step out.)

3 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

I don't post much on any Bomber forum any more either probably because it is just to polarizing to be on a team fan forum. No matter which side you fall on there is really not much we can do and the more we argue more both sides become jerks.

I don't think you should be too surprised that more people come out of the woodwork when things are not going right. That is the nature of many fan forums. They are much like comment sections after news articles. People are far more interested in talking about what drives them nuts than what they love. Take a look at this forum in dead winter pretty dead when there is something to discuss that requires an opinion then people start popping by. When the team is winning what is there to talk about? Forums thrive on debate if we can all agree on something that's not much reason to post. (It can work the same way if the team is continually crappy eventually all the arguing over how crappy or not the team is eventually just wears one out and people step out.)

I do track stats monthly and the site is busier in both page views (traffic) and posts (activity) when the team is winning.  Of course mid winter is the slowest period, there no games, no free agency, not a whole lot to talk about and the "non-regulars" are not even thinking of football.

Of the regulars, there are for sure groups of people on both sides of the fence.  Those that will post more when the team is winning and those that will post more when the team is losing.  But a lot of those people still read the site regularly regardless of what the team is doing.

It takes a special kind of fan to still be committed to and passionate about the team when they are doing bad.  And that is true whether you are in the so called "positive" or "negative" group.  

Then there is the group of people that are only interested in following the Bombers when the team is winning.  It is the same reason that ticket sales are increased when the team is winning. Interest in the team goes up and people want to join in the fun. There is a buzz and everyone loves a winner.  But those people will not come to the site when the team is doing bad because the interest just isn't there.  This is why the site gets busier when the team is winning.

Some will call these the "bandwagon" fans, but I see no problem with these people.  Sports is entertainment, and you should only invest time and energy when you are entertained.

I visit spottily throughout the the year win or lose. I just don't have as much interest in sports team forums. I don't stop by enough to notice when the most people are posting. It is much more fun reading when the team is doing well though. People are far less "tense".

1 hour ago, Dragon37 said:

I am sorry that you don't see groups of posters here on this forum. They are here the fact that you don't outright deny there are pro and critic is confirmation. I think too, if you go back and read some old threads emotion is not just on the side of "critics". The grouping or clique forming is not usually an intentional thing so don't view it as a bad thing. 

As for, choosing moderators. Who you guys choose is up to you and no business of mine but of the people you see as "critics" are there any you would have no problem at all as having as a moderator? Paint me as skeptical of your claims but if you can indeed say yes then I most certainly apologize if you can't think of one then ...

I think the criteria of a moderator would probably be someone in the middle, who is level headed, and not prone to emotional outbursts.  Someone too far in either direction (critic or blind fan) would be a poor choice.  So yes, we would take someone who is a critic of the team, but not someone who only criticizes the team.  Same thing for the other side of the fence.

And the ugly truth about moderating, is the more you do it, the less you end up posting and contributing.  Sometimes you will engage in a debate and disagree with someone to participate in discussion, and it is taken the wrong way.  People can't always separate you the poster from you the moderator.

Or it does happen you are engaged in a debate with a poster and you are put in a position where you have to moderate them in that thread or a different one.  And at that point you are put in a conflict of interest and you can either let the post go or moderate and take the accusations of abuse of power and crap to follow.

You get to the point where it just isn't worth posting anymore or as much, so I'd also have to consider whoso contributions would ultimately be taking away from the site.