Thank you, admin/mods

Jacquie

So you would not choose a critic. That confirms then what I said. There really is no middle of the road all the time position. The people chosen are almost always going to be aligned  with the views of the rest of the moderation team. That's how it works at every forum. If we agreed most of the time on topic here I would have a better opportunity at being a mod than someone who disagreed with everything you said. 

Ultimately though it isn't who is chosen and why. It is how they enforce the rules if they are applied fairly and across the board.

I have been a moderator and it can be thankless, yes. I don't know about posting less. Never stopped me. It just took away my freedom to speak honestly about some topics that the admins were sensitive to.

6 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

So you would not choose a critic. That confirms then what I said. There really is no middle of the road all the time position. The people chosen are almost always going to be aligned  with the views of the rest of the moderation team. That's how it works at every forum. If we agreed most of the time on topic here I would have a better opportunity at being a mod than someone who disagreed with everything you said. 

Ultimately though it isn't who is chosen and why. It is how they enforce the rules if they are applied fairly and across the board.

I have been a moderator and it can be thankless, yes. I don't know about posting less. Never stopped me. It just took away my freedom to speak honestly about some topics that the admins were sensitive to.

Have any of these so-called critics ever asked to be a moderator?  If not, then your accusation is pretty baseless.

8 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

It's like you read Rich's post, then fabricated one in your mind and replied to that. Because you certainly didn't address anything Rich said.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's like you read Rich's post, then fabricated one in your mind and replied to that. Because you certainly didn't address anything Rich said.

Rich said they would be chosen from the middle of the road so not one to either end of the spectrum. You are arguing that you would choose anyone. Well, really you just like to argue with anyone that doesn't think you are the bees knees. 

My point was always that this forum can laugh all they want at the Rider forum but if the Bombers were as hot a mess right now this forum may well be in the same position. 

Never get complacent.

5 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

Rich said they would be chosen from the middle of the road so not one to either end of the spectrum. You are arguing that you would choose anyone. Well, really you just like to argue with anyone that doesn't think you are the bees knees. 

My point was always that this forum can laugh all they want at the Rider forum but if the Bombers were as hot a mess right now this forum may well be in the same position. 

Never get complacent.

Neither one of us said either of those things. I suppose Rich in a way says that, but I didn't take it to mean a fence-sitter, I just took it to mean that someone who doesn't allow their emotions to lean too strong in either direction, no matter if their opinion is favorable or critical. Not a "middle of the road" fence sitter who shares nothing but a neutral opinion.

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Have any of these so-called critics ever asked to be a moderator?  If not, then your accusation is pretty baseless.

So let's see if I got this right. Rich can use hypothetical arguments to support his views but I can't? My point was not that they are bad but they do choose from a select bunch and that can leave opening for impartialilty to crumble.

You forget, the Bombers were recently a hot mess. We're currently in the process of extricating ourselves from that situation. IMO, this forum will never get to what the Rider forum is like.

They're just....different.?

1 minute ago, Dragon37 said:

So let's see if I got this right. Rich can use hypothetical arguments to support his views but I can't? My point was not that they are bad but they do choose from a select bunch and that can leave opening for impartialilty to crumble.

OK here's a hypothetical for you.  If no "critic" has ever applied to be a mod, how can they possibly choose one to do so?

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Rich said "So, yes, we would take a critic" and then Dragon comes back with "So you would not choose a critic"

Christ almighty.....

But he didn't say that he said middle of the road that is neither critic or teamer. (A good area to choose from). I really don't understand why any of the admins or mods would even get angry that I would say they are gonna choose people that they most align with. So what? 

The fact that that they can't admit it or think this forum is above falling apart is just mystifying.

2 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

But he didn't say that he said middle of the road that is neither critic or teamer. (A good area to choose from). I really don't understand why any of the admins or mods would even get angry that I would say they are gonna choose people that they most align with. So what? 

The fact that that they can't admit it or think this forum is above falling apart is just mystifying.

I'll speak for myself here when I say that I do think this forum is above falling apart, and for good reasons. Could it happen? Obviously.

Will it? I strongly doubt it.

Thank you for the response Mike. I do appreciate it. Honestly I really wasn't trying not to say you admins and mods are not doing a good job. I was really trying to point out that sometimes what happens may not be entirely under your control. I am not sure what exactly precipitated the demise of OB but I didn't think it was that bad there. It really seemed to me that it was more difference from opinion on the team than a moderation issue. Again I don't know the behind the scenes I am just saying how it looked from the outside.

I do hope you are right, but please stay vigilant :)

Edited by Dragon37
Cleaned up grammar

20 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

You forget, the Bombers were recently a hot mess. We're currently in the process of extricating ourselves from that situation. IMO, this forum will never get to what the Rider forum is like.

They're just....different.?

Ya I can agree on that. I have been to that forum a few times and they do seem to be ... Different. 

BTW I didn't forget and it wasn't fun here when it they were sucking the life out of us.

23 minutes ago, Atomic said:

OK here's a hypothetical for you.  If no "critic" has ever applied to be a mod, how can they possibly choose one to do so?

I doubt any critic or teamer would apply. I clearly lean to the critic side of things and I would never apply because moderating means you can't ever get even slightly emotional. I can't ever agree to do that (again since I have been a mod before on other forums).

As I have said a few times choosing from people you align with isn't a surprise that they would deny they do does surprise me. Would you want to work on a mod team with me? ;)

28 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

I don't know why or how this becomes part of the discussion on choosing moderators.  I've been around the internet long enough to know that nothing lasts forever.  I have never thought this place was above falling apart.  Truth be told, if you canvassed the average age of the poster on this site, I'm betting it is way higher than it was on OB 10 years ago.  Message boards are the "old ways" of the internet.  

Facebook, Twitter and whatever other social media du jour is where the younger people tend to flock.

59 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

I also said I wouldn't pick a poster who is the extreme on the other side of the fence as well.  And the reason I wouldn't pick either of those two extremes would be because I believe their ability to be impartial to the other side would be a more difficult task.  You are right, no one is impartial all the time, but you can get a feel for how level headed someone is.  

In fact the decision wouldn't even be based on your view of the team.  It would entirely be based on how you post, how you present your opinions, and how you interact with other posters.  I would be looking for people who align with the values and how the moderating team believes this site should be run and who could work and get along with the rest of the moderating team.  So if your point is that we would only accept people who share those points of view, then yes, of course that is true.

If the moderating team isn't all on the same page in what the rules are and what is acceptable, then people are going to get upset in inconsistent moderation, and I have no desire or time to moderate moderators.  But where I think you are wrong and are muddying the issue, is that has nothing to do with whether you are critical of the team or not.  

23 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

Thank you for the response Mike. I do appreciate it. Honestly I really wasn't trying not to say you admins and mods are not doing a good job. I was really trying to point out that sometimes what happens may not be entirely under your control. I am not sure what exactly precipitated the demise of OB but I didn't think it was that bad there. It really seemed to me that it was more difference from opinion on the team than a moderation issue. Again I don't know the behind the scenes I am just saying how it looked from the outside.

I do hope you are right, but please stay vigilant :)

The moderators on this site are the exact same team of people who moderated and basically ran OB before this site opened.  We've added one since.  Truth be told I haven't even thought of what qualities I would look for in a new moderator until you brought it up because it isn't something we've had the need to do.

31 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

I doubt any critic or teamer would apply. I clearly lean to the critic side of things and I would never apply because moderating means you can't ever get even slightly emotional. I can't ever agree to do that (again since I have been a mod before on other forums).

As I have said a few times choosing from people you align with isn't a surprise that they would deny they do does surprise me. Would you want to work on a mod team with me? ;)

No.  I don't even like posting on the same site as you.  I left OB shortly after it became the Dragon37/Road Griller show.

50 minutes ago, Atomic said:

No.  I don't even like posting on the same site as you.  I left OB shortly after it became the Dragon37/Road Griller show.

Myself and Road Griller never ran the show there. I am sorry you can't handle difference of opinion. I don't think either of us have to worry about working as mods ;) so feel free to continue to dislike me for whatever reason you like.