GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg

Rich

I think ultimately this game is going to come down to both teams secondary. Whoever steps up there will win, so many new faces on both sides.

Willy and Reilly both go over 300 today, but I'm predicting a big game from Andrew Harris and a Bomber win 33-27.

Edmonton has had a real difficult time with the ball carrier coming out of the backfield this year, which bodes well for us. In fact, Ottawa uses very much a similar style of offense to us and they had their way with the Edmonton defense.

Their offense is going to get their points, that much is almost a guarantee. But their pass rush has been fairly weak and their LB/DB pass coverage has been atrocious.

If I had to pick guys that are going to have a field day today, I'd suggest we'll see a lot of Weston Dressler, Jace Davis and Andrew Harris.

tonight is a great test against a very tough opponent. Should answer some questions. Hell, if we win that's a couple wins against very good teams, and , .500 4 games in. Not too shabby.

Lose and we're 1-3 and a lot of people will say that our win against the hammer was due to Collaros being out and an absurd number of Hammy turn overs. Very pivotal game. Looking forward to seeing the teams response out there.

The Bombers win in Hamilton can be dismissed as a "yes-but" victory, but Edmonton should be a much better test of the team. Reilly and his receiving corps are as good as any in the league- certainly in the top three at least. Their running game is iffy, and the whole team is nowhere as good as last year. Maas looks to be a good coach even though a rookie, and the Esks seem to be able to find talent at will, so all in all, this will not be a blowout for the Bombers over the Esks. A Bomber win will give hope to the faithful but a lopsided loss will destroy any momentum from last week and spike the sales of anti-depressants in Winnipeg, and MLCC sales as well.

Edited by tracker

1 hour ago, White Out said:

tonight is a great test against a very tough opponent. Should answer some questions. Hell, if we win that's a couple wins against very good teams, and , .500 4 games in. Not too shabby.

Lose and we're 1-3 and a lot of people will say that our win against the hammer was due to Collaros being out and an absurd number of Hammy turn overs. Very pivotal game. Looking forward to seeing the teams response out there.

yeah cause people aren't already saying that. This team is in a no win situation with a lot of fans until their record is consistently above .500. People are so quick to be negative because they're seen so many losses that no matter what happens people aren't willing to enjoy the positive things because they are used to it being short lived. 

A loss tonight doesn't diminish the win last week at all. Going against one of the best offenses in the league currently with as banged up a secondary as the Bombers have is a tall order regardless of what happened in the first 3 weeks. 

56 minutes ago, Rich said:

Too much to ask to have Willy repeat this performance tonight?

That,  coupled with this... the history should be with us... I guess

The Eskimos, Desjarlais discovered, are carrying a five Grey Cup losing streak into returning to the scene of their triumphs.

Win the Cup somewhere in November, he discovered, and the Eskimos are a lock to return to the same stadium the following year and lose. Sometimes twice.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/07/13/eskimos-stats-guru-brian-desjarlais-eager-to-find-stats-to-interest-intrigue-and-amuse

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Should be a good game - Edmonton's defense is definitely a shambles right now as they try to learn Benevides' system (not to mention three key players out - Ojo (injured ruptured Achilles), Grimes (best cover guy in the CFL - gone to NFL), and linebacker Dexter McCoi)l. You can't replace guys like that and the Eskimos haven't. 

Willy does need a big game here - this might be the 'softest' defense he plays this year. He'll need it too because despite their defensive woes, though off to slow starts the Edmonton offense once they get going are not going be to stopped very easily. If bombers are to win - they will need to do something they haven't done in long time - score more than 30 points. This is the D they can do it against.

Edited by KptKrunch

Feels like forever since the home opener! Can't wait to get back to IGF tonight - and hopefully not be there for 6 hrs like June 24.

Here's hoping the rain holds off & the fans show in big numbers. Either way, we'll make the place noisy for Edm's O.  I want to see our D come out aggressive as we did against Hammy. We need pressure up front or Reilly will pick apart our rooks in the secondary.

On offence - after last week's much-more-complete effort, my expectations have risen quite a bit. Foolish? Perhaps.  But the play calling seems good, the weapons are there.  All up to Drew, IMO.

Could this be the start of a big turnaround at home? Start making this a difficult place to play, and not a free space on the bingo card? So long as they don't mess with the anthem ;) 

54 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

yeah cause people aren't already saying that. This team is in a no win situation with a lot of fans until their record is consistently above .500. People are so quick to be negative because they're seen so many losses that no matter what happens people aren't willing to enjoy the positive things because they are used to it being short lived. 

A loss tonight doesn't diminish the win last week at all. Going against one of the best offenses in the league currently with as banged up a secondary as the Bombers have is a tall order regardless of what happened in the first 3 weeks. 

The people who are saying that now would be silenced with a win tonight. and with good reason.

If the Bombers lose, sorry, it does feed the narrative. This isn't game 4 tonight of MOS, it's game 40 (? is that right). Already though I can see built in excuses being made.

Excuses are for losers. If you want to take credit for a win against a banged up Hamiton, then we have to face the music with a loss tonight. That being said I have reason to be excited tonight. I think our D is turning a corner and if we can keep them fresh we can make a good game of this.

17 minutes ago, KptKrunch said:

Should be a good game - Edmonton's defense is definitely a shambles right now as they try to learn Benevides' system (not to mention three key players out - Ojo (injured ruptured Achilles), Grimes (best cover guy in the CFL - gone to NFL), and linebacker Dexter McCoi)l. You can't replace guys like that and the Eskimos haven't. 

Willy does need a big game here - this might be the 'softest' defense he plays this year. He'll need it too because despite their defensive woes, though off to slow starts the Edmonton offense once they get going are not going be to stopped very easily. If bombers are to win - they will need to do something they haven't done in long time - score more than 30 points. This is the D they can do it against.

They have to solve their red-zone woes, relying on FG's  will not be enough to keep pace with Reilly.

Fogg is the man.  In yesterdays interview O'Shea said that Fogg is one of those few players that can run all day and likened him to Chip Cox, Weldon Brown and Kyries Hebert for their ability to start and play on all ST units.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/07/13/fogg-in-forecast-for-bombers-return-game

Kevin Fogg was an elite kick returner at Liberty University and his highlight reel is something to behold.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive back will get a chance to put those talents on display in the CFL for the first time on Thursday night when the Edmonton Eskimos come to town.

With Quincy McDuffie sidelined, Fogg will get the call to return kickoffs and punts and he hopes to do what he did four times during his collegiate career – take the rock to the house.

“Oh man, I’m excited for that,” Fogg says. “That’s a thing that I always loved when I had the opportunity to do it back in college. I’ve always been waiting for that next opportunity.”

Fogg returned three kickoffs for touchdowns and averaged 33.5 yards on kickoff returns in his junior year, leading the nation in both categories. He was named an all-American kick returner that year.

He had a punt return touchdown in his senior year and had a kickoff return for a touchdown called back due to a penalty.

“I used to be a running back in high school so having the ball in my hands was a thing I was used to,” Fogg says. “Having that opportunity is a fun thing, an outlet for me honestly.”

The Bombers also took a look at LB Moe Leggett and S Macho Harris at the returner spot this week and have options with WR Weston Dressler, SB Ryan Smith and SB Julian Feoli-Gudino if Fogg doesn’t work out.

Who are these people who think the Tabbies just stopped, bowed and handed over the football with a wink? The Bombers TOOK the ball away. Even a tip is an effort play. That game was so encouraging for defense and almost encouraging for offense.  I agree with mr no vowels, there is a lot of room for improvement but a lot of improvement was shown too. 

1 hour ago, White Out said:

The people who are saying that now would be silenced with a win tonight. and with good reason.

If the Bombers lose, sorry, it does feed the narrative. This isn't game 4 tonight of MOS, it's game 40 (? is that right). Already though I can see built in excuses being made.

Excuses are for losers. If you want to take credit for a win against a banged up Hamiton, then we have to face the music with a loss tonight. That being said I have reason to be excited tonight. I think our D is turning a corner and if we can keep them fresh we can make a good game of this.

It's game four of this season.

That's all that matters.