GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg

Rich

Here is my question, is Smith really any better than Denmark was? Sometimes I think Walters is more concerned with making a splash in free agency than building a team. I think Moore would look pretty good on this team as well, I believe he did more here than Smith has shown he is capable of this year. 

24 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Here is my question, is Smith really any better than Denmark was? Sometimes I think Walters is more concerned with making a splash in free agency than building a team. I think Moore would look pretty good on this team as well, I believe he did more here than Smith has shown he is capable of this year. 

Smith was dinged up last year pretty much the whole season with one thing or another. I know you guys likely disregard my opinion as sour grapes but durability may be a issue going forward. Second season in the league and has been hurt a lot.

I am just saying that yeah Smith was near 1000 yards last year... but Denmark has been over 1000 yards in the CFL. I'm not implying that he's a poor receiver, just that I haven't seen the superstar some touted him as and we may have added Smith but we also dropped two guys who have gone over 1000 yards in the CFL in the past this offseason as well. It's a lot of changes for questionable if any improvements. Were it me I probably would have just signed Dressler to be the veteran experience and not bothered paying Smith. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I am just saying that yeah Smith was near 1000 yards last year... but Denmark has been over 1000 yards in the CFL. I'm not implying that he's a poor receiver, just that I haven't seen the superstar some touted him as and we may have added Smith but we also dropped two guys who have gone over 1000 yards in the CFL in the past this offseason as well. It's a lot of changes for questionable if any improvements. Were it me I probably would have just signed Dressler to be the veteran experience and not bothered paying Smith. 

For less money, IMO, Smith is still a rider or at least would have been in camp trying out. He priced himself right out of here and upped expectations elsewhere.

I don't like the constant turnover...  Denmark was a quiet leader on this team.  Then we stick with Darvin Adams who has never really shown elite talent?

Using Dressler as our WR threat is ridiculous.  Watching him against Patrick Watkins last game... I don't know... 

Also think Kohlert would be way better inside.

This is the lineup I'd like to see...

Davis-Dressler-Mayo-Kohlert-Adams

You need some guys who can get up there and make catches. If you're going to have Dressler AND Smith on the team you 100% need a bowman or derrick Armstrong or Chris Matthews who can go up and make a play he has no business coming down with. We don't have any players like that right now and it shows. Dressler also has no business lining up at wide out, that ridiculous stunt needs to be ended immediately. 

Adams can go up and make a play... or he can be a total ***** and get boxed out like a chump. I still don't like the overall mix of our receivers but I do finally like some of the recruits Walters has brought in. Davis has been good this year and I've liked the little we've seen of Mayo too. 

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

I really don't mind Darwin Adams on this team. He and Willy can connect...sometimes. The problems lie elsewhere. And this is where I agree with your statement of having two like receivers, Smith and Weston. Either one would have filled a need, but both?  The obvious problem is no home run receiver to complement the receivers we do have. And maybe the QB to reach him. Jace Davis is also a keeper. Mayo looks fine, Sheppard too. Let's take a look at those guys deep. Is that not possible? Otherwise, get somebody who can stretch the bloody opponents' D. 

Why does it seem we're the only team who doesn't haven't have that speedster?

Having a speed demon receiver is valuable only if you have a quarterback who can deliver the ball accurately, far enough and on time.

6 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

I really don't mind Darwin Adams on this team. He and Willy can connect...sometimes. The problems lie elsewhere. And this is where I agree with your statement of having two like receivers, Smith and Weston. Either one would have filled a need, but both?  The obvious problem is no home run receiver to complement the receivers we do have. And maybe the QB to reach him. Jace Davis is also a keeper. Mayo looks fine, Sheppard too. Let's take a look at those guys deep. Is that not possible? Otherwise, get somebody who can stretch the bloody opponents' D. 

Why does it seem we're the only team who doesn't haven't have that speedster?

Good question and maybe it needs to be asked of Walters. Last great receiver was Matthews and Mack found him. Poor O'Shea really hasn't had much help in the player department. Instead of Walters getting a chance to bring in another head coach, maybe it's O'Shea that needs a chance of working for a GM and scouting department that can bring in some great players. 

5 hours ago, tracker said:

Having a speed demon receiver is valuable only if you have a quarterback who can deliver the ball accurately, far enough and on time.

What are you talking about. If you have a speedster you overthrow him like Willy does and let him catch up to the ball. That's how Milt and Khari did it. :)

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I actually agree, lol.

It's like I said before, what sort of identity is he trying to build into this team? I don't see one.

18 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Well he does throw it far enough and on time. The speedster will account for the accuracy. :D

What makes a good quarterback worth his pay is his ability to anticipate and execute, adapting his throws to the receiver and defence.  I believe Willy is sadly lacking.