Around The NHL 2016/2017

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Yup.  It's pretty much a different Era. You can't compare what a guy did 100 years ago or even 30 years ago to now. 

I'm not saying beating women is ok either. I'm just saying Bobby Hull deserves to be in the Jets Hockey hall of fame because without him... there is no Jets. 

Double post

Edited by kelownabomberfan

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yeah I was expecting an old man yells at cloud comment.  I just think all of those people out there who are confused as to why Trump is so popular could look at this Hull nonsense aa a prime example.  Not that I support Trump.  It's just that if you try hard enough you can discredit anyone from the past applying current social mores.  I had a university professor once tell our class that Abraham Lincoln was a racist.  By today's standards...oK.   But not in 1865.

If by social mores you mean, for example, smoking in the car with kids or a pregnant lady smoking, driving home after "just a few" drinks, or perhaps disciplining your kids with spanking and/or the belt on a regular basis, then I can see your point about looking past Hull's flaws.  Even the lack of help for alcoholics back then is a decent point.  But multiple instances of felony assault and threatening his spouse with a shotgun wasn't something that could be overlooked in the 70s let alone now, and it certainly isn't a social mores issue.  He should have gotten arrested and had his day in court.  But I'll wager much like many athletes today it was overlooked and ignored because he was Bobby Hull. 

For his play Hull deserves the Jets HOF, and since it's been established a player's off ice activities don't affect his getting in or not Hull will get in.  And he should.  Amazing player who is a big reason why the NHL is here.  But I think a lot of us have on our rose coloured glasses when it comes to Hull because he was one of ours. 

Edited by Brandon Blue&Gold

5 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Hull is being honoured & all the complaints here won't change that. He's being honoured for what he did as a hockey player for the Winnipeg Jets & that is the way it should be.

Who are you arguing with? Everybody except tup agrees Hull belongs in the hof, and tup appears to have already left the thread. 

13 hours ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Here's a question related to this topic.  Are there any examples of a hall of fame worthy player from any sports league whose off ice/field/court/etc actions have kept them out of their respective HOF?  I don't count Pete Rose since his actions were done while he was active in MLB (as a manager).

I can't think of one other then mr. dog killer and even then has he had HOF career?

Guessing we're leaving out a bunch of steroid enhanced MLB players?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

On 7/16/2016 at 7:36 PM, iso_55 said:

It's only relevant because it fits your social agenda here. You live for **** like this.

You live for it too.  In fact, I made no opinion either way of whether Hull should be honored.  I simply said both perspectives were relevant and it was deserving of discussion.  I didnt attempt to shut down discussion on either side or call people names or act like beating women wasnt a deplorable act.  Some people cant have a mature discussion, so be it.

Hull's contributions on the ice dont change his off ice issues.  So the idea that "you wouldnt have a team without him" is rather moot.  Im sure most people would be okay with hiring a current wife beater if it meant bringing NHL hockey to the market.  On the other hand, what is the line?  Wife beater is ok.  What if it was an OJ Simpson or Chris Benoit scenario? (Simpson, by the way, is still in the football HOF I believe and for what its worth Benoit was kept in a certain wrestling HOF by virtue of "winning" vote to remain in).

And again, for what its worth, if it was me, I wouldnt do it.  But I think there is relavance to honoring his stats and his player contributions without regarding him as a saint.  And the problem is separating that.  Because he will be treated like a saint when he's here for the ceremony and that IS somewhat cringe worthy.  But again, its about the line of standard.  Its a slippery slope either way.

3 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Who are you arguing with? Everybody except tup agrees Hull belongs in the hof, and tup appears to have already left the thread. 

Didnt leave the thread, just didnt want it to become just a two man argument between myself and ignorant insults.  The topic of domestic violence, behavior of sports heroes etc is an interesting topic with many relevant facets.  Shame for it to degenerate into name calling.  If people dont want to discuss, dont discuss, its that simple.

53 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Didnt leave the thread, just didnt want it to become just a two man argument between myself and ignorant insults.  The topic of domestic violence, behavior of sports heroes etc is an interesting topic with many relevant facets.  Shame for it to degenerate into name calling.  If people dont want to discuss, dont discuss, its that simple.

Sorry, but there were no ignorant insults.  Just insults directed at the ignorant.  At any rate, I think I've said my piece.  I just am so sick of this PC garbage.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

36 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Sorry, but there were no ignorant insults.  Just insults directed at the ignorant.  At any rate, I think I've said my piece.  I just am so sick of this PC garbage.

We're here because that's where you steered the thread.  For someone so sick of it, you oddly bring it up when it's not even an issue. This isn't "PC garbage" like acceptable language towards gays, women and minorities. 

This is well documented, repeated, spousal abuse. On multiple women.  It's not about political correctness, it's being about being a decent f*cking human being and not beating your wife. 

And no one, at least as far as I can tell, is diminishing at all what Hull's on ice accomplishments are - they're asking, legitimately so IMO, what if any of the person's character should be brought up when honouring them as heroes.  

How that's not worth even honestly discussing, is beyond me.  Some are able to.  "No I don't think a person's character should come into play" or "You're honouring the person, who they are as a person matters".  Fine points, good debate.

It's the name calling, insults etc that are childish and offer nothing to the conversation.  Don't want to have the conversation? Fine, don't.  No one will care!  It's the thinking that you're contributing, when offering nothing but insults, that grows tiresome. 

- signed, Ignorant Idiot 1897324. 

15 hours ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

OJ is in both the College and Pro Football Halls of Fame.

oh ok.  Well I guess he was found not guilty....yikes.  I just watched the ESPN show on OJ - OJ Made in America.  I highly recommend everyone watch that show.  It had a lot of jaw-dropping reveals, including interviews with some of the jurors, who admitted that the evidence didn't matter, because of Rodney King they were going to find OJ innocent.  So what was the point of even having a trial?  Now of course, they are having second thoughts.  Yeah, because he did it.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

As  a SJW I'm surprised that you would use your money to pay known drug/alcoholics/abusers/ etc.. etc...   It makes you a hypocrite in regards to the comments of this thread.     Also as you are a WWE fan... how many WWE HOF'ers have had out of ring issues.   

As for PCW...Eddie Guerrero who you keep bringing up was arrested in the past and had issues with drinking and driving and beating up his ex.   Davey Boy Smith had a laundry list of baggage and was arrested for threatening to kill his ex.    Jim Neidhart was as bad if not worse.  Brutus Beefcake is a terrible guy.  Brian Christopher,  Buff Bagwell and Hawk all had major issues out of the ring.   I am no familiar if you had other name talent that came in but those guys definitely did a lot of stupid ****. 

To be fair he brought them in to wrestle not to be inducted in to the winnipeg wrestling hall of fame 

I don't know the circumstances of that fight but death is possible in any street fight and I am surprised there aren't more deaths from fighting.

What if Hull touched little boys and/or girls? Does he still go into the HOF? Where do you draw the line?

19 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

He would have been charged for that and put away for a long time. 

So, if he was charged for wife beating and put away for a long time he shouldn't be in the HOF...again, not debating, just asking.

It's a winnipeg jets hockey hall of fame. If they called it a winnipeg jets ring of honor would ppl care as much? 

All that really truly matters is what hull did for Hockey in Winnipeg. He did lots. More than most. Bottom line. Bobby Hull deserves to be honored for what he did for Winnipeg Jets Hockey 

Saying what if he touched kids or whatever else is irrelevant cuz he didn't touch kids. 

How's this... Bobby Hull was a raging alcoholic who needed help but nobody gave it to him. Alcholoism is a disease and most people with Alcholoism don't really have control of what they do when they are drunk. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

So, if he was charged for wife beating and put away for a long time he shouldn't be in the HOF...again, not debating, just asking.

If, ifs & buts were candy & nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. Quit reaching. Just saying.

Edited by iso_55