Around The NHL 2016/2017

Makes way more sense for a team who wants him that bad to make a trade with the Jets.  If an opposing team knows negotiations are going nowhere and Trouba wants a change (and probably talk gets around), they would go to the Jets.  The only way Jets dont match is if the other team offers a deal so ridiculous they would immediately regret it.  So it wont happen.

52 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I wouldn't sign him to less than A5 year deal but would rather see him signed to an eight-year deal something like 8 years for 46 million

Why not sign him for less than 5 years?  What's the downside?  I don't get that.    

He is a UFA after 4 more years for one reason.

If you re-sign him for say, two years and he plays lights out...

A. He demands BIG money and you end up paying way more had he signed long term to begin with.

B. He files for salary arbitration and you only have him for two more years after the two year deal.

I would hold out until he re-signed for a minimum of 7 years but I would pay a bit more and get him under contract for as long as we can (8 years).

FWIW a jets insider of sorts at hfboards.com said the plan is long term for Trouba.  Thought is trouba wants 6 years.  Jets want 7. 

These long term deals aren't easy to make. Like I said 7 years 38 million. However it's not as simple as 5.5 or whatever a year. It could start at 4 or less and years 6 and 7 could be 6.5 plus. These long term deals take time. I'd start to get concerned if it's mid to late August.  Until then... Lindholm Monahan Goudreau ristolainen etc etc etc still aren't signed also 

Edited by Goalie

Trouba would probably get 3 plus on a 2 year deal. 2 years 6 million at least. 

But I imagine that if a bridge deal was gonna happen it would have been signed by now. I think you are looking at 6 or 7 years for Trouba.  8 won't happen.  He's not scheif. 6 would be my guess like Reilly Jones Matta 

Bogo and Myers are pretty equal. Neither can stay healthy. Bogo gives you a rougher game than Myers but Myers probably has more offense. Myers probably worth a bit more than Bogo.

Kane for Stafford, Armia, Lemieux and Roslovic.

Staf helped us get into the playoffs the season of the trade and potted 21 goals for us last year. I would move him because he doesn't fit the team's need...my opinion.

Armia has played well defensively but hasn't been consistent offensively at all. He needs to have a good camp and I would love to see him play on the 3rd line with MP and Connor. His contract is more or less show me what you got now is your chance. He won't clear waivers so I expect to see him start with the Jets. Has a high ceiling but time is running out.

Lemieux was praised by Maurice last year and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him make the team but I think the numbers game keeps him down on the farm for half a season or so. Will be playing on the team next season for sure but probably a 3rd liner at best.

Roslovic... Future #2C? He can play RW as well but he really impressed in early July and earned his first contract. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets assigned to the Moose but I think he goes to London of the OHL. He will definitely play in the NHL one day but I am uncertain of where to peg him in the lineup or even what position he will play.

Kaner...old school hockey player that gives you his all on the ice. Talented scorer and is still only 25 years old on Tuesday. Excellent skater but not much in the play-making department. He'd pot 40+ on a line with Sid...His off-ice behavior is another thing and has brought his value down so low that I don't think Buffalo would trade him for what is probably being offered. All indications point to him not getting much better than what he is right now and that is 25 or so per season goals...nothing to sneeze at but I don't think many teams would touch him with a ten foot pole except maybe Vancouver.

Depending on how Armia, Lemieux and Roslovic turn out will decide if this is a fleecing I guess. We for sure didn't lose this one though. Kudos to Chevy again for getting rid of a cancer and really helping to shore up our depth.

Trade is already in WPG's favour factoring in Kane's character issues and quantity of assets. Unless armia, Lemieux and Roslovic are all busts it's a huge victory for wpg. 

Buffalo can mitigate that somewhat if they can hoodwink some team into giving up quality assets for Kane. 

Kane can still turn things around but probably not in Buffalo. Could be a solid player in Vegas. But that's irrelevant to the wpg/buf trade.