Around The NHL 2016/2017

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Hmmmm, I wonder if its in connection with the previously discussed bar assaults.  If I recall those were essentially "tickets" and not something he'd be formally arrested for.  But, again if I recall, the worst incident involved a woman who had not come forward.  Perhaps she came forward...

One of these days this guy is going to need to grow up.  He's pissing it all away and will be toxic enough that no one will touch him.  In fact, if he's not careful he's going to qualify for one of those unpaid suspension deals.  And then he's really screwed.

Trouba Comparables:

Trouba: 22 years old.  211GP - 23G - 49A - 72PTS = 0.34 PPG

Olli Maatta: 6 years, $4.08Mper  -  21 years old.  165GP - 16G - 41A - 57PTS = 0.35PPG

Morgan Rielly: 6 years, $5Mper - 22 years old.  236GP - 19G - 73A - 92PTS = 0.39PPG

Danny DeKeyser: 6 years, $5Mper - 26 years old.  234GP - 14G - 61A - 75PTS = 0.32PPG

So, comparables are $4M-$5m on a six year deal.  I'd imagine they could split the difference and go $4.7 over 6 years.  If Jets want longer term (I would think they dont want 8, but maybe 7) then they pay extra money.  If Trouba wants extra money, he signs for an extra year. 

$4.7 over 6 years.  $5.2 over 7.

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

You are paying for what you think Trouba will be in a couple years also, not what he is now, so i'd assume it's somewhere around the 5 to 5.5 range long term. 6 or 7 years.

Still going 38 million over 7 years. 

If Dekeyser bought more UFA years, why would you pay Trouba more?  And significantly more than Maatta?

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

You are paying for what you think Trouba will be in a couple years also, not what he is now, so i'd assume it's somewhere around the 5 to 5.5 range long term. 6 or 7 years.

Still going 38 million over 7 years. 

Logically you're probably on point but history tells us some other team will overpay him to land him.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Logically you're probably on point but history tells us some other team will overpay him to land him.

The only way teams can do that is by offer sheeting him and that's not gonna happen. It doesn't happen, it really happens once in a blue moon and if it were to happen, it would have already. Jets control his rights, they will sign him for what they think is fair value, if not, he will sit and LIKE IT. 

I actually think between 5 and 5.5 is the going rate for D men of Troubas caliber, People do need to remember he's been saddled with Mark Stuart pretty much and still his fancy stats are pretty damn good, I think Reilly and Jones are more than fair comparables, i just went 38 over 7 instead of 30 over 6 because you are buying an extra UFA year. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

The only way teams can do that is by offer sheeting him and that's not gonna happen. It doesn't happen, it really happens once in a blue moon and if it were to happen, it would have already. Jets control his rights, they will sign him for what they think is fair value, if not, he will sit and LIKE IT. 

Could still happen imo. Obviously, as we move into August, time will tell. 

Don't see many teams with the cap space to do it, Just don't see it and for the Jets not to match, that team would have to probably give up their next 4 first round picks... I just don't see it happening, Trouba is good, he's not worth 4 firsts tho and the reality seems to be the teams who do have the space, they are probably further away than the Jets are to be competing.