Around The NHL 2016/2017

Colbourne to Colorado... nice value there.

Hamhuis, Colbourne, Weise... all nice deals that I would have liked to see the Jets make.

Strange that their own teams didn't keep them at those prices- especially Hamhuis

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

i disagree with this perspective. Jets didn't make the playoffs last year. Seems to me they felt part of the issue was consistency. They are bringing in depth to cover for injuries and push other players. Make youth earn it

This is a strange comment... Howden is young, Strait is not going to play if Chiarot has a great camp...

Matthias is a PK that we need - I see it as Chevy saying maybe we should have kept Frolik...  he plays at Burmi's expense imo.

Only guys 'blocking' anyone are Stafford and Stuart and that's just for one more year

interesting trend with these signing bonuses. It's one thing to do it prior to potential work stoppage season but every year?  Guess it's considered a bonus to get most of your salary in a lump sum rather then a weekly pay cheque. Must be some advantage to it.   

Getting no trade clauses too. I'd think having minimal salary makes a player more traceable. Imagine trading for Ladd in December. You basically owe him barely half a million on the season since the Ilses paid all his salary up front. 

Interesting. 

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

interesting trend with these signing bonuses. It's one thing to do it prior to potential work stoppage season but every year?  Guess it's considered a bonus to get most of your salary in a lump sum rather then a weekly pay cheque. Must be some advantage to it.   

Getting no trade clauses too. I'd think having minimal salary makes a player more traceable. Imagine trading for Ladd in December. You basically owe him barely half a million on the season since the Ilses paid all his salary up front. 

Interesting. 

'Pre-emptive buyouts'...

Just now, Floyd said:

This is a strange comment... Howden is young, Strait is not going to play if Chiarot has a great camp...

Matthias is a PK that we need - I see it as Chevy saying maybe we should have kept Frolik...  he plays at Burmi's expense imo.

Only guys 'blocking' anyone are Stafford and Stuart and that's just for one more year

Yeah I agree. If anything it's saying the core is strong and the future is strong. But they want more depth aside from other youth. Safety net. And making the Moose more competitive which helps development of young players there.