Post Game Show

B-F-F-C

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I thought the defense, especially Randle but there were others, played a very good game. I think if the offense plays as well as the defense we win that game.

When asked if he was surprised at how much the offense struggled he said all 3 phases struggled and that if the defense had gotten Willy more touches early, like he had late in the game, that the offense would have done better. I didn't think that was fair. The D got the offense plenty of touches they just didn't do anything with them.

The defense was bad.  There were many long drives by the Als in the first half and the time of possession was nearly 2:1 in favor of the Als.  Very few, if any, 2 and outs.  The defense also surrendered 300 or more yards in that first half.  They were lucky that turnovers and a penalty and a play away from the play kept the score at a respectable level going into halftime.  Irving commented on the poor performance by the D in the post-game show.

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

D was soft. Didn't get many 2 and outs. Not blaming the D here but they weren't that great either. Need Johnny Adams back for sure. 

I'd like Leggett back at Safety...  try Burnett at SAM.  Neither Randle or Leggett talents were being maximized at SAM.

I knew Dressler not playing was going to be something mentioned by the team, and Willy used that claiming we had players in different places after that and they had to adjust. Adjusting seems to be something this O is not good at, at least yet. Question(s) ... if Willy stinks out the first half in Calgary, I wonder if MOS will pull him and play Nichols? I also wonder what it would be like to throw Flanders in there for a few series just to change things up?

Edited by IC Khari

I really don't think people are giving Glenn enough credit for the game he had on Friday. Despite what some people say (pause) Glenn did a very good job of escaping the rush and hitting his target almost 75% of the time. The times we were close to sacking him, once by Posey, resulted in a missed Int. by Fogg in the end zone, an interception by Randle just before Glenn got hit and a grumby-like side-arm throw by Glenn just before he was sacked. There were more instances, but sometimes you have to give the other guy credit. This is one of those times.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:44 PM, IC Khari said:

I knew Dressler not playing was going to be something mentioned by the team, and Willy used that claiming we had players in different places after that and they had to adjust. Adjusting seems to be something this O is not good at, at least yet. Question(s) ... if Willy stinks out the first half in Calgary, I wonder if MOS will pull him and play Nichols? I also wonder what it would be like to throw Flanders in there for a few series just to change things up?

The only thing Willy can lay blame on is himself.  Woefully inaccurate; in a totally winnable game, he was the difference.  A major difference-maker.

Secondly, are we really calling for Nichols and Flanders already?  One game in, and it's time to throw in the towel on our entire offseason plan?  The Flanders comment isn't just shortsighted, it's painfully flawed.  Harris was not the problem.  He was solid once we started using him in the 2nd half.  And where do we pull an import from to start Flanders?  I think it's been proven that a starting WR corps does not include 2 starting CDN receivers, based on our present personnel.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:40 PM, Floyd said:

I'd like Leggett back at Safety...  try Burnett at SAM.  Neither Randle or Leggett talents were being maximized at SAM.

This is about the best comment on this thread.  Not sure about Burnett, but we need to maximize our players' talents.  Leggett is a very strong safety.  I'm not sure where the thinking comes from that we move our best players on D out of their best positions.  Makes no sense to me.

Been painful to try and read some of the commentary on the forum. I understand why people are frustrated, but it doesn't make it any easier to read all the sky is falling stuff that filled the threads over the weekend.

We lost on Friday - indisputable and to say we put in a good showing would be a stretch. But that's just about where the comparisons of this year's offense against last year's start and end. When I watched our offense last year, I saw an OL that couldn't block, predictable play calling and an unimaginative, uninspired effort. I didn't see receivers getting open or an offense that I thought was capable.

What did I see on Friday? I saw a QB who had a terrible showing. But I also saw an OL that gave him adequate time for the most part, I saw receivers getting open, I saw play calling that made sense. But it all unraveled because our QB couldn't hit the open guys when he needed to.

Last year, we'd frequently go two and out because we'd run a 6 yard curl pattern on first down then run square into the back of the line on 2nd down for no gain. On Friday, I saw us go two and out because Willy was missing the plays that were there to be made. There's a clear difference.

I went back and watched the game yesterday. He missed Adams twice. McDuffie once. Smith twice, including one that would've been a sure 75 yard touchdown. The plays were there to be made because our QB got the time he needed to throw, the play call was the right one and the receiver got open. The QB just simply didn't make the throw. That wasn't the issue with our offense last year.

Considering our QB has shown a history of being able to make those throws in the past, I'm willing to cautiously chalk up that game to a poor QB performance. My hope now is that we see starting on Friday that it was a one off. Call it garbage time all you want (it wasn't) but I'm glad he at least got things on track in the fourth quarter because we needed something to build on. To see him come back after all those off target deep balls and connect with Adams for once and Davis for another one late in the game was something that will be very important for Drew.

Now on to next week. Willy has to be better. Simple as that.

Truth is, we all would of been a little more upbeat, if this O had done anything at all, in the first 45-50 minutes of the game.......

Is Willy capable of being better....of course - in fact, I  EXPECT improvement.  

But these slow, slow, slow starts in general, are still killing us......which brings us back  to preparation from the coaches, and the mental makeup of the team....

On 25/06/2016 at 3:13 PM, blueandgoldguy said:

The defense was bad.  There were many long drives by the Als in the first half and the time of possession was nearly 2:1 in favor of the Als.  Very few, if any, 2 and outs.  The defense also surrendered 300 or more yards in that first half.  They were lucky that turnovers and a penalty and a play away from the play kept the score at a respectable level going into halftime.  Irving commented on the poor performance by the D in the post-game show.

you're right, the defense wasn't great... but to claim that those amazing plays by Randle (assist from the DL that hit KG on that INT) to force turnovers was "lucky" is ridiculous...

I think Mike nailed it. Willy looked like a QB who hasn't had enough in game reps. He was knocking the rust off. As the game went on, you could see that the game speed was slowing down for him. He was doing a better job of making reads, going through progressions, knowing how long was too long to be holding on to the ball. At the start of the game, all of those things, the little timing things, were off.

Here's hoping he can get up to speed in 1-2 plays next game....

3 hours ago, do or die said:

Truth is, we all would of been a little more upbeat, if this O had done anything at all, in the first 45-50 minutes of the game.......

But these slow, slow, slow starts in general, are still killing us......which brings us back  to preparation from the coaches, and the mental makeup of the team....

On watching the game for the second time it wasn't as bad as initially suspected. 

Willy over-threw about 5 passes in the first half, it would have made a huge difference if he could have connected on at least 3 of them. 

Adams had the only obvious drop in the game which is probably below team average over the course of an entire game. 

Sacks, every team allows them and average should be about 3,  Bombers gave up 5 but Willy was to blame for at least 2 of them.  As soon as he does that fake pump once you know he's in trouble and won't likely find a receiver.

Red-zone death.  I believe this happened twice, unacceptable.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

I only watched the first 2 quarters.... I saw us not being able to make 2nd and short and a combination of Willy hanging onto the ball to long and Mtl guys coming in untouched...  

The defense I'm not to worried about,  they have talent and made plays when it counted.

The offense ....  not being able to get a few first downs until 25 minutes into the game is unacceptable....  soooo bad.  

3 hours ago, do or die said:

Now I'm understanding your alcohol references . . . :-)