Aug 12 - Winnipeg at Toronto

ALuCsRED

So I'll be in Toronto on August 12th to catch the Bombers and then meeting up with a buddy for the two Jays games on the weekend.

I've got a number of questions about gamed, but I'll summarize with the following three for the football game:  

1. Anyone have any advice as to where the best place to sit at BMO field will be?  

2. Anyone else going?  

3. Anyone have any extra tickets? 

The same ticket questions apply for the baseball.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

Sit where you can get the best view of our $400,000 QB on the bench ;) 

As I'm sharing some beers, hotdogs and some popcorn with him, I may talk him into splitting some LottoMax tickets with me.  The 50/50 can't be exceptional there.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier...Looks like we may be in for shite weather Friday night. But even if not, sitting on the West side or South end zone will be best because the East side gets treated to a pretty brutal sun glare for the first half.

Hopefully weather cooperates, because if weekend traffic combines with rain, a big concert and a Jays game... we're all boned.

22 minutes ago, bluto said:

Sorry I didn't see this earlier...Looks like we may be in for shite weather Friday night. But even if not, sitting on the West side or South end zone will be best because the East side gets treated to a pretty brutal sun glare for the first half.

Hopefully weather cooperates, because if weekend traffic combines with rain, a big concert and a Jays game... we're all boned.

Dang, hope the weather clears up.  This could affect ten's of people.

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

Dang, hope the weather clears up.  This could affect ten's of people.

Small town mindset. Come sit in our traffuck before and after the game with all of those conditions... I doubt you'd be so cavalier about it.

5 minutes ago, bluto said:

Small town mindset. Come sit in our traffuck before and after the game with all of those conditions... I doubt you'd be so cavalier about it.

Yes cause we have no experience storms here.  And just a hunch, but I'm betting there's a lot more traffic to and from a Bomber game than from an Argo game.

34 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Yes cause we have no experience storms here.  And just a hunch, but I'm betting there's a lot more traffic to and from a Bomber game than from an Argo game.

nope, GTA traffic even on non event days trumps winnipeg traffic sheerly on #s.  when you see the free ways flying in you can totally appreciate why so many commute via the subways

32 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

nope, GTA traffic even on non event days trumps winnipeg traffic sheerly on #s.  when you see the free ways flying in you can totally appreciate why so many commute via the subways

Can confirm, went to see the Jays play 6 years ago, even without the game day traffic it was nuts. Saw someone road rage on a taxicab who tried to bypass a long line of traffic that was waiting to make a left hand turn, so at least there was entertainment while we waited.

3 hours ago, bluto said:

Thanks for the heads up, Bluto.

The way this year has been going, if there is a chance of a storm (and a lightning delay), we'll get it.  I survived the 2.5 hr delay last week, left the stadium at 1 am, drove back to Brandon and went to work the next day.  I'm sure I can handle another one.

If you see a tall guy wearing a new Moe Leggett 31 jersey and a white Blue Bombers hat, say hello to me.

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

You would be wrong. I have driven in heavy traffic in Winnipeg and it's a joke compared to Calgary and I am sure Toronto is even worse than that. Winnipeg is still a small city and even if you're in bumper to bumper traffic you don't have the distance to travel. the GTA is a ******* huge area with a huge population and you think Winnipeg traffic is going to compare to that in any way shape or form? Come on now. 

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You would be wrong. I have driven in heavy traffic in Winnipeg and it's a joke compared to Calgary and I am sure Toronto is even worse than that. Winnipeg is still a small city and even if you're in bumper to bumper traffic you don't have the distance to travel. the GTA is a ******* huge area with a huge population and you think Winnipeg traffic is going to compare to that in any way shape or form? Come on now. 

I was referring only to the traffic in and around the stadium  onto Pembina.  Because Toronto is the center of the universe, I expect that it's gravitation pull sucks in a lot of cars and that would most definitely interfere with the few people trying to get to and from the Argo's game.  I've been there many times, and I can indeed confirm the suck that is Toronto.

Edited by WBBFanWest

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Having spent a fair amount of time in Toronto the last several summers, I absolutely hate the area (Exhibition Place) that BMO Field is located in terms of getting to and from.  A congested area that's lightly served (by Toronto/mega city standards) by transit.  Very similar to IGF, although there is more egress from BMO.

1 hour ago, ALuCsRED said:

Thanks for the heads up, Bluto.

The way this year has been going, if there is a chance of a storm (and a lightning delay), we'll get it.  I survived the 2.5 hr delay last week, left the stadium at 1 am, drove back to Brandon and went to work the next day.  I'm sure I can handle another one.

If you see a tall guy wearing a new Moe Leggett 31 jersey and a white Blue Bombers hat, say hello to me.

Glad to hear you hung in there for that game. I'll keep an eye out for you.

My name's on my jersey.

An an example of what you could face getting into the CBD on a normal night, a colleague just told me about his trip to the Jays' game last night. 

There were minor accidents on the lakeshore and Gardiner. This in addition to the usual trip down the dvp during evening rush and not being able to get close enough to the dome in time to reliably find parking (which you pay extortionate prices for) he and his 7 year old parked just past St Lawrence market and walked 3.3 urban, rush hour kilometres in 40 degree heat, shoulder to shoulder through a crowd going in all directions. Going home wasn't so bad other than carrying his kid back to the car.

Now tomorrow, all of that is still in play with the addition of weekend getaway rush hour, a big concert, an additional sporting event plus a possible T-storm. If it's a crowd measured in dozens, I won't be surprised. Mancaves are just easier.

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The couple times ive been to TO driving through the GTA was like driving down r90 from polo to past ikea on the day before christmas. never again.