Wylie post practice

Jpan85

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

You're not that reporter, are you?

haha i loved seeing him get fired up like that.

1) another year is a huge deal with 2 young starters. They have allready shown to improve with leaps and bound. 2) consistency and familiarity on the OL is massive. Doesnt matter the pieces you have if you change them every couple weeks they never gel and are constantly playing as less then the sum of their parts. 3) bond couture and keeping when healthy is really big for depth. Couture could easily be starting by the half way point. Bond was probably our best OL against mtl. 4) we got banged up last year and another year gives us a chance to be healthier then last year. 

51 minutes ago, braddman19 said:

I absolutely loved the interview.  I would have preferred had Wylie explained what he was trying to say though, instead of having someone else clarify it for him.

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

Nothing wrong with the question at all.  You're still not going to get the answer you want.  He's not going to say "Couture didn't stay low and lost the one-on-one battle with the man across from him both times".  At most he might say there were some technique issues, and he's not going to say who.  Nor should he.  Throwing your rookie Olineman to the wolves two weeks into his CFL career would make him a dumb coach.

Pretty sure Goossen was at Centre for the first gamble...

No one was asking him to throw Couture under the bus - question had nothing to do with him

I still want a ******* answer to how the O-line is going to be better this year. Too bad he really didn't answer that. It was a big problem last year and from what we saw in the first half of the Ottawa pre-season game, not enough has changed.

Love his crankyness all you want, but it still is something that should be answered.

14 hours ago, braddman19 said:

I absolutely loved the interview.  I would have preferred had Wylie explained what he was trying to say though, instead of having someone else clarify it for him.

I understood what he meant right away.  But I can see someone not getting it, especially when a huge man is standing their partially yelling at you.  LOL.  You're brain just kind of takes an exit stage left.

Edited by Logan007

39 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

I still want a ******* answer to how the O-line is going to be better this year. Too bad he really didn't answer that. It was a big problem last year and from what we saw in the first half of the Ottawa pre-season game, not enough has changed.

Love his crankyness all you want, but it still is something that should be answered.

Wouldn't you rather SEE how the O-line is improving, instead of having a coach try and explain why they will be?  Talk, as they say, is cheap.

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

Wouldn't you rather SEE how the O-line is improving, instead of having a coach try and explain why they will be?  Talk, as they say, is cheap.

Sure I would. But I can't for another week or so and what I saw in the first half against Ottawa doesn't give me much hope. Our starters vs their starters and Willy got hurried and hit a lot.

At this rate, Willy will be hurt and we will be back to 2014/15.

I just didn't see the question as being out of line. Maybe it needed to be worded a bit better (the team gave up 59 sacks), but not worthy of the rant for sure.

Edited by tacklewasher

3 hours ago, tacklewasher said:

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

haha i loved seeing him get fired up like that.

1) another year is a huge deal with 2 young starters. They have allready shown to improve with leaps and bound. 2) consistency and familiarity on the OL is massive. Doesnt matter the pieces you have if you change them every couple weeks they never gel and are constantly playing as less then the sum of their parts. 3) bond couture and keeping when healthy is really big for depth. Couture could easily be starting by the half way point. Bond was probably our best OL against mtl. 4) we got banged up last year and another year gives us a chance to be healthier then last year. 

3 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Are we still blaming Belleveue?  So is it poor players, poor scheme or poor coaching? Or a combination?  Everyone dumped on DelMonaco when he was here simply have him go to Calgary and be successful inpsite of several injuries. So what is the answer?

calgary as in the loaded power house offense running some one elses system? Thats your comparison? MB was made to look great running barrets offense in sask with a ton of star power around him too. And plop in his first year before being fired by this  team twice. Danny maccocia looked like the 2nd coming of don mathews with allstars surrounding him. When it came down to it and these guys had to build their system they couldnt do it. Products of a system. 

19 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

calgary as in the loaded power house offense running some one elses system? Thats your comparison? MB was made to look great running barrets offense in sask with a ton of star power around him too. And plop in his first year before being fired by this  team twice. Danny maccocia looked like the 2nd coming of don mathews with allstars surrounding him. When it came down to it and these guys had to build their system they couldnt do it. Products of a system. 

Calgary literally had DL playing OL last season, among a crew of rookies and very young players with no huge pedigree (Bergman, Wilson etc).  I know we love Bob Wylie, but the excuses are getting pretty thick.

He hasn't had a lot to work with here, realistically he still doesn't.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Calgary literally had DL playing OL last season, among a crew of rookies and very young players with no huge pedigree (Bergman, Wilson etc).  I know we love Bob Wylie, but the excuses are getting pretty thick.

He hasn't had a lot to work with here, realistically he still doesn't.

chris walby was a converted DL. They dont lack for talent. The difference between perennially good teams and bad. The young guys they have are good.

Your not wrong about the excuses. I like to see him defend his guys like that. But no matter what we have to take a big step forward this year. And that has to center around a strong OL. If we are getting harris the ball 20+ times a game we are gonna do well. Teams havent respected out run game in a long long time. And being able to establish the run helps the ol out big time.  If we dont make the play offs this year i expect very close to a clean sweep front office down. Plop prolly stays and buck with him maybe. Not much else. 

I wish coaches wouldn't have such big chips on their shoulders when talking to the media. Wylie knows most of the media have no idea what the nuances of the game are unless they've been around football for 40 years like Bob Irving or former players. Acting pissed at a reporter for asking what they think is a "dumb question" is really disrespecting most fans as they probably don't know any more than the reporter either. All they know is Drew Willy gets sacked, injured, +the OL sucks, the team loses & want to know why. So, just answer the question with class explaining why.

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

chris walby was a converted DL. They dont lack for talent. The difference between perennially good teams and bad. The young guys they have are good.

Chris Walby converted from DL to OL midseason during a game?  Edmonton and Calgary both won games last season with Eddie Steele and Quinn Smith playing offensive line.

8 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I wish coaches wouldn't have such big chips on their shoulders when talking to the media. Wylie knows most of the media have no idea what the nuances of the game are unless they've been around football for 40 years like Bob Irving or former players. Acting pissed at a reporter for asking what they think is a "dumb question" is really disrespecting most fans as they probably don't know any more than the reporter either. All they know is Drew Willy gets sacked, injured, +the OL sucks, the team loses & want to know why. So, just answer the question with class explaining why.

Or, we could actually expect our media people to be a little more knowledgeable about the stuff they're reporting on than the average fan.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Chris Walby converted from DL to OL midseason during a game?  Edmonton and Calgary both won games last season with Eddie Steele and Quinn Smith playing offensive line.

he was talking about it in the 1290 pregame before the last game. It was the start of the season but pretty much. switched over due to injury.