First cuts

8 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Players released:

Quinn Lawlor (N), OT, BYU

The players with this designation beside their names are pretty much the only ones I have interest in... OG also acceptable (Offensive Guard or Original Gansta, either way I'm good)...

23 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I would say Nate Collins is a bit of a surprise. I wonder who's cereal he pissed in?  Even going back to last year, I thought he should have seen the field more.

On 1290 radio this morning, there was a bit of surprise about Collins- he had the size, experience and right attitude but apparently he has lost a step.

Collins probably did lose a step but how can they justify keeping Macho Harris who has lost his ability to play football.  I was willing to give macho a chance but 2 preseason games later... I don't know how they can justify keeping him 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Lol @ cfl for making it seem like this is a big deal releasing Kackert. He's been injured off and on for years and had been retired at least once already! 

I'm not surprised they cut him (although he played decent in the little time he got last year) but I am surprised they didn't "ask" him to retire again instead of being cut.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Collins probably did lose a step but how can they justify keeping Macho Harris who has lost his ability to play football.  I was willing to give macho a chance but 2 preseason games later... I don't know how they can justify keeping him 

Disappointed they cut Collins but I guess they figure Thomas and Butcher have the inside rotation covered.  Hoping someday soon that Cole makes a reappearance on the outside as I still think he was the best complement to Westerman.  Battle now comes down to Dieke, Green and Hubbard for the last remaining DE spot. 

20 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Disappointed they cut Collins but I guess they figure Thomas and Butcher have the inside rotation covered.  Hoping someday soon that Cole makes a reappearance on the outside as I still think he was the best complement to Westerman.  Battle now comes down to Dieke, Green and Hubbard for the last remaining DE spot. 

DL depth is impressive this year, especially the number of Canadians:  Westerman, Shologan, Thomas, Butcher, Corney have all looked good.  Richardson will have to continue to show well on specialty teams to grab a spot on the game roster but he could be in tough vs Corney.  I'm not sure that we can carry both Thomas and Butcher on the final game roster, so it is possible one of those will be assigned to the practice roster.

For the Americans, Cummings will have one spot, so you are  right, there is only one spot left.   I was impressed with both Dieke and Hubbard, but haven't really noticed Green as much. 

1 minute ago, Jaxon said:

DL depth is impressive this year, especially the number of Canadians:  Westerman, Shologan, Thomas, Butcher, Corney have all looked good.  Richardson will have to continue to show well on specialty teams to grab a spot on the game roster but he could be in tough vs Corney.  I'm not sure that we can carry both Thomas and Butcher on the final game roster, so it is possible one of those will be assigned to the practice roster.

For the Americans, Cummings will have one spot, so you are  right, there is only one spot left.   I was impressed with both Dieke and Hubbard, but haven't really noticed Green as much. 

Butcher will depend on how they use their DI they might use none on the DL then have all Canadian backups

4 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Butcher will depend on how they use their DI they might use none on the DL then have all Canadian backups

I don't think that they will use a DI to back-up the d-line.   Especially with an import kicker using one of the DI spots, and likely McDuffie or Anderson, or Flanders in another one.   

Starting 4 on the DL will be:

Westerman

Cummings

Shologan

1 of either Dieke or Hubbard or Green.

That leaves Corney and Richardson rotating  the ends, with Thomas and Butcher backing up the inside.   It may be tough to have 2 backups for the inside positions on the d-line.  Both Corney and Richardson play specialty teams, so that adds to their roster-value.  Thomas and Butcher don't add that same value.    If Dieke can go inside or out, that may give him the edge on getting that last spot.