bombers draft in review.

wbbfan

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I was watching the draft on TV and following on twitter, did anyone else notice that Justin Dunk was leaking the picks before they were made on TSN? and then it abruptly kind of stopped around pick 8 or 9. Dunk works for Sportsnet but also works for CFL.CA, wonder if someone at CFL.CA had a word  with him. Thought him leaking the picks before TSN announced them was kind of douchey, However at the same time, TSN's coverage was pretty brutal, lots of talk, tons of talk. If they cut out half the talk and just concentrated on the picks instead they probably could have done 3 rounds in one hour on TV. 

I thought someone probably told him to knock it off as well. Figured someone at TSN had complained to the league.

The first two 3 picks are obvious upsides to me. I am intrigued by Gauthier, his highlights are pretty solid (even though it is college ball) I think he will bring a lot to our special teams along with Loffler. Huge improvement to our ST and the Bombers needed that big time. I am curious to what happens with Butcher, if they change him to offense or let him play D for a season. Needless to say, I am happy with how we drafted. 

Hamilton had a pretty decent draft as well imo,

28 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

And speaking of Waggoner. Where does everyone think he would have gone had he went in this years draft? Could we have still gotten him at 9, 10 or later? Or would he have been gone earlier? I think Calgary may have had him at 6. 

That's a good question... I don't know if he would have been ranked higher than Singleton or Corney... I think he may have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick...

8 minutes ago, bearpants said:

That's a good question... I don't know if he would have been ranked higher than Singleton or Corney... I think he may have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick...

He probably would've been a late first, early second. Definitely doesn't make it past BC at 12 (in my opinion)

1 hour ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

And speaking of Waggoner. Where does everyone think he would have gone had he went in this years draft? Could we have still gotten him at 9, 10 or later? Or would he have been gone earlier? I think Calgary may have had him at 6. 

The best reasoning I've heard on Waggoner is that his value was higher last year because there were no defensive players of his level in that draft class.  This year there were a few, so he probably drops some just because teams can get a player of his calibre who plays DL and DB.  And then there's Singleton.  So it's not that there was anything wrong with the choice, just now there were more choices.  And we got him a year early.

So from the first 20 picks in the draft, we have Waggoner, Corney, Couture and Loffler to show for it.  That is an excellent haul.  One person's opinion.

Sounds like it worked out for both teams.  More so for us though because we didn't have to give anything up for guys we ended up getting anyway.

I figure we offered up one of our 2 picks plus #19 (I get that feeling because Walters mentioned giving up that pick) so we would have lost out on Loffler if my guess is correct.

3 minutes ago, mbrg said:

The best reasoning I've heard on Waggoner is that his value was higher last year because there were no defensive players of his level in that draft class.  This year there were a few, so he probably drops some just because teams can get a player of his calibre who plays DL and DB.  And then there's Singleton.  So it's not that there was anything wrong with the choice, just now there were more choices.  And we got him a year early.

So from the first 20 picks in the draft, we have Waggoner, Corney, Couture and Loffler to show for it.  That is an excellent haul.  One person's opinion.

Yep, people have said this is one of the deeper drafts over the last decade so a high pick last year might not have been so high this year.  I'm good with what we walked away with, all things considered. 

I definitely think we did pretty good with the picks we had and factoring in GW from the supplimental draft, it makes it pretty impressive (if Waggoner keeps progressing and sees more time on the field in the defense)

what I wanna know is what is the plan with him?  Safety? SAM? backup to one or the other?  we are starting to get a bit deep on canadian secondary talent lol.

37 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

I definitely think we did pretty good with the picks we had and factoring in GW from the supplimental draft, it makes it pretty impressive (if Waggoner keeps progressing and sees more time on the field in the defense)

what I wanna know is what is the plan with him?  Safety? SAM? backup to one or the other?  we are starting to get a bit deep on canadian secondary talent lol.

Must be looking at NI safety now that Leggett is SAM, no way Waggoner displaces Bass or Wild

One of Waggoner, Loffler, Morgan, Sherman rotating at safety

Shologan, Westerman, Goossen, Chung, Harris, Kohlert, Neufeld

Corney and Thomas rotating on the line

No need for Hurl or Bucknor as starters...

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Must be looking at NI safety now that Leggett is SAM, no way Waggoner displaces Bass or Wild

One of Waggoner, Loffler, Morgan, Sherman rotating at safety

Shologan, Westerman, Goossen, Chung, Harris, Kohlert, Neufeld

Corney and Thomas rotating on the line

No need for Hurl or Bucknor as starters...

I like the way you are thinking. 

Edited by SPuDS