Donald Trump

Blueballz

I've been told by my immigration attorney that a green card is way way weaker than actual citizenship. You can't vote, it can be revoked for a variety of reasons, etc.  I've gotta keep my nose clean in this country or I'm kicked out.

I have heard of cases where green cards holders are seriously hassled at the border and threatened with loss of their green cards unless they cooperate.  And some of those are white Canadians.  Presumably it's harder for brown Somalis -- especially in a world where millions of Muslims are named (for instance) "Saladin Mohammed."

I asked my new friend why he didn't get his citizenship, he said he is working on it, because he wants to vote in this election.  :)

Now losing one's green card at the border might not be a realistic anxiety. But more generally, you have this climate where a demagogue guy can make serious hay politically by pointing the finger at Muslims as the problem in the world. Even if Trump isn't elected, it has got to be seriously frightening to see giant crowds eating up that kind of hate. 

You know how you've got those progressives who believe that white people (men specifically) are the whole problem with whole world, what with their sexism, colonalism, neoliberal capitalism, slavery, pretend meritocracy and so forth. When I hear that kind of stuff, I get angry, I can't help but take it personally because I'm a good guy and I've worked hard for my ****.

Now imagine that it's not just some loudmouthed tumblr activist or low-level politico talking about how white men are The Problem, but instead it's a serious candidate for the President of the USA who is running his mouth while  tens of thousands of people roar their approval. This is the guy who would control Homeland Security, the various immigration services, the FBI, a number of creepy espionage services, and the military.

The right wing press in this country constantly harps about how Obama is out of control, how he is an imperial president who operates unconstitutionally and without regard for the will of Congress.  Now you take that, and you wonder, who is going to be the checks and balances on President Trump if he goes nuts? 

That's when my anger would turn to fear.

(For as much as I didn't like President Bush Jr., I always admired the way he refused to paint the entire Muslim population as the enemy, especially right after 9/11 when the USA was clamoring to carpet nuke everything from Indonesia to Istanbul )

Edited by johnzo

So, House Speaker Ryan, the so-called "moral conscience" of the Republican party declares Trump a racist... but supports him anyway.  

What a telling statement of present republican values......

Ryan, McCain, Christie, Rubio, etc..... all of them simply swallow the multiple insults and the smears and just fall right into line.  A collective group of moral cowards.  How pathetic........

2 minutes ago, do or die said:

So, House Speaker Ryan, the so-called "moral conscience" of the Republican party declares Trump a racist... but supports him anyway.  

What a telling statement of present republican values......

Ryan, McCain, Christie, Rubio, etc..... all of them simply swallow the multiple insults and the smears and just fall right into line.  A collective group of moral cowards.  How pathetic........

What is Ryan supposed to do? The toothless mob got Trump elected. He is the Presidential candidate for the Republicans. Ryan can't change that or he would.

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

What is Ryan supposed to do? The toothless mob got Trump elected. He is the Presidential candidate for the Republicans. Ryan can't change that or he would.

Yeah exactly.  Kind of like how in Canada a lot of the NDP hated Mulcair because he wasn't a psycho leftist but tolerated him because they thought he would lead them into power and then they could take over.  When Mulcair didn't deliver they knifed him in the back.  Same will happen to Trump. 

Just pointing out that Ryan, is held up in most quarters... as the poster boy for the "moderate" Republicans......you know not the religious nuts, racists, homo phobic's, gun nuts, and manic anti-government bootstrappers, but people who actually profess to be "disturbed"  about the present path of the party.   Obviously not enough....

....and McCain...who spent years in a North Vietnamese prison camp, without telling his captors a thing..... publicly called a COWARD by Trump, for "allowing himself to be taken prisoner"....he is just going to lie down for that?

If you endorse garbage.....even if you know it is wrong....the smell is still there, regardless.

I think its very difficult because there are the public faces of the party but so many people behind the scenes and those people are saying hold your nose and support Trump because not supporting him is akin to supporting the Democrats and it hurts the party as a whole.  In their mind they can stomach Trump for 8 years and then move on.  But if you damage the party too much, you're screwed.

They damaged the party enough by letting the nuts and homophobes and racists gain power.  So they reap what they sow.  Im a conservative that will be cheering for Hilary.

It would be great if they opposed him.  If Ryan led a group of moderate Republican's in morally opposition, that would be very impressive.  In fact, it might be historic.  Problem is, it's the type of history people would talk about 50-100 years from now.  In the short term, it would be the end of them all politically.

The party of Lincoln, eh?  Embarrassing.  Stand up and be the party of Lincoln, even if it means your political career is over. 

Again, problem is, the alternatives to Trump were hateful nuts too.  When your "traditional" candidates make Trump look measured and reasonable, the real issue isnt Trump at all.

From today's Huffington Post.....

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said Thursday he’ll vote for presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, but still doesn’t trust him with America’s nuclear arsenal. 

“I stand by everything I said during the campaign,” Rubio told the Weekly Standard, when asked about a statement he made in February, before he dropped out of the presidential race, that he didn’t want to turn over the U.S. nuclear codes “to an erratic individual.”

Rubio recently told CNN he would be willing to speak on Trump’s behalf at the Republican National Convention in July."

The insanity continues.......

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It would be great if they opposed him.  If Ryan led a group of moderate Republican's in morally opposition, that would be very impressive.  In fact, it might be historic.  Problem is, it's the type of history people would talk about 50-100 years from now.  In the short term, it would be the end of them all politically.

The party of Lincoln, eh?  Embarrassing.  Stand up and be the party of Lincoln, even if it means your political career is over. 

Again, problem is, the alternatives to Trump were hateful nuts too.  When your "traditional" candidates make Trump look measured and reasonable, the real issue isnt Trump at all.

Trump is only a symptom, not the disease.  The strategy of stupefying a populace and promoting ignorance does have it's consequences.  This is what happens when a government spends 5 times more money on military than it does on education.  The whole apple cart needs to be overturned.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articlePictures/budget-2005-475-x-515.jpg

And once again says something as fact when there is no proof (just like his claim of Muslims dancing on the rooftops in NJ after 9/11). Purposely tries to connect the story of a man arrested in LA with the Orlando shootings even though the man arrested in Santa Barbara was a white, non-Muslim man from Indiana. 

Well his point of the Cali arrest was linking it to anti-gay I think, which is somewhat of a fair observation at least so far as people needing to be vigilant during Pride events taking place.  If this happened a few days before our Pride event, there would certainly be heightened security and vigilance, even here

On 6/10/2016 at 9:41 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Trump is only a symptom, not the disease.  The strategy of stupefying a populace and promoting ignorance does have it's consequences.  This is what happens when a government spends 5 times more money on military than it does on education.  The whole apple cart needs to be overturned.

While I agree with you in sentiment, note that an enormous amount of government taxation and spending -- especially with education -- happens at the state and local level, so you need to account for those things if you're comparing education vs. military spending in the USA as a whole.  Also, education spending varies hugely by locality here. Elite public school boards in rich areas are hyperfunded. Public school for everyone else .... not so much.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:42 PM, do or die said:

you know not the religious nuts, racists, homo phobic's, gun nuts, and manic anti-government bootstrappers, but people who actually profess to be "disturbed"  about the present path of the party.   Obviously not enough....

Weren't they the ones who made 'America great'?

Trump's at it again. The Washington Post is the most recent organization to have their press credentials revoked by Trump. Here are others who have also had theirs revoked:

It’s unusual for a candidate to ban a reporter, but Trump has done so repeatedly since he announced he was seeking the Republican nomination last June. Among the news organizations whose reporters have been blacklisted: Gawker, BuzzFeed, Foreign Policy, Politico, Fusion, Univision, Mother Jones, the New Hampshire Union Leader, the Des Moines Register, the Daily Beast and Huffington Post.

Whole story from the Washington Post here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/trump-revokes-post-press-credentials-calling-the-paper-dishonest-and-phony/2016/06/13/f9a61a72-31aa-11e6-95c0-2a6873031302_story.html?tid=sm_fb

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎13 at 1:12 PM, pigseye said:

Weren't they the ones who made 'America great'?

Yes, America was made great by the very people modern culture is out to vilify. 

Like it or not, America has been a beacon of freedom, liberty and progress the likes of which the world have never seen.  They've lost their way now, but some are trying to stop the ship from sinking.

They didn't start slavery but they sure ended it....at least in Western Civilization.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:48 AM, do or die said:

From today's Huffington Post.....

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said Thursday he’ll vote for presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, but still doesn’t trust him with America’s nuclear arsenal. 

“I stand by everything I said during the campaign,” Rubio told the Weekly Standard, when asked about a statement he made in February, before he dropped out of the presidential race, that he didn’t want to turn over the U.S. nuclear codes “to an erratic individual.”

Rubio recently told CNN he would be willing to speak on Trump’s behalf at the Republican National Convention in July."

The insanity continues.......

Politics makes strange bedfellows.

Political interests can bring together people who otherwise have little in common. This saying is adapted from a line in the play The Tempest, by William Shakespeare : “Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows.” It is spoken by a man who has been shipwrecked and finds himself seeking shelter beside a sleeping monster.

Trump disliked by 7 out of 10 Americans according to a poll done by the Washington Post. Paul Ryan feels that GOP delegates should not be bound by pledges to vote for Trump but by their conscience. GOP leadership very worried that they'll not only lose the Senate but Congress. Trump says he may go it alone. Stay tuned...

Mods, why do these blank quote boxes show up & how can they be deleted?

Edited by iso_55