Donald Trump

Blueballz

4 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I can share Cruz's views. Doesn't mean I support everything the guy stands for. I don't support transgender washrooms. Doesn't make me a homophobe. As far as definitions go, anyone can describe anything to fit their agenda. I work with gay & lesbians. They mind their business. I mind my own. I have acquaintances that are gay & at times we do socialize. I don't have any issues with any gay person except transgender washrooms. That's just what I believe in.

How would you even know whether there is a transgender person in the same bathroom as you? 

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

What does sex and using the washroom have to do with one another?  

This isn't a pressing issue in Canada right now. How do you protect your children from LGBT people when you're in public?

They're grown up now & are adults. I never had to concern myself with it.

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

They're grown up now & are adults. I never had to concern myself with it.

There weren't LGBT people when your kids were young?

but you're right. You never had to concern yourself with it. And today no one has to concern themselves with it. This is part of a hate agenda.  

Edited by The Unknown Poster

4 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

How would you even know whether there is a transgender person in the same bathroom as you? 

Well, according to you it's needed. News reports have stated that Transgenders  have apparently come under attack in washrooms. So, obviously they are noticed.

Edited by iso_55

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There weren't LGBT people when your kids were young?

but you're right. You never had to concern yourself with it. And today no one has to concern themselves with it. This is part of a hate agenda.  

Of course there were. Hate agenda, pfft... Your words.

Edited by iso_55

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

Well, according to you it's needed. News reports have stated that Transgenders  have apparently come under attack in washrooms. So, obviously they are noticed.

come now. That's silly. Cruz isn't trying to protect LGBT people from attack. Please. 

Besides if a trans woman walked into your bathroom it wouldn't stand out as unusual to you?  That wouldn't be identifying them akin to a yellow badge?  Please 

I support gay rights, I support any teenagers in high schools to form their own LGBT clubs for both support & protection ON SCHOOL PROPERTY. I don't believe that there should be any job discrimination for anyone who are gay & lesbian. I don't support transgender washrooms.

Edited by iso_55

3 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

You didn't answer the question. 

From Huffington Post:

The idea that transgender people — or people pretending to be transgender — spy on or even attack children and straight people in bathrooms is actually 100% myth.

You think this is better?

19 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

come now. That's silly. Cruz isn't trying to protect LGBT people from attack. Please. 

Besides if a trans woman walked into your bathroom it wouldn't stand out as unusual to you?  That wouldn't be identifying them akin to a yellow badge?  Please 

Funny thing is a woman being in a men's room doesn't necessarily mean they are transgender. It might just mean the line to the women's room is too long to wait.  

8 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

You didn't answer the question. 

From Huffington Post:

You think this is better?

So, I listened to the interview. He used friends & family to take these selfies & actually blocked the women's washroom door so some unsuspecting woman wouldn't be shocked to find him in the lady's room. I still don't get the point as to why he did that. I do hear his pain of being bullied growing up.

8 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I can share Cruz's views. Doesn't mean I support everything the guy stands for. I don't support transgender washrooms. Doesn't make me a homophobe. As far as definitions go, anyone can describe anything to fit their agenda. I work with gay & lesbians. They mind their business. I mind my own. I have acquaintances that are gay & at times we do socialize. I don't have any issues with any gay person except transgender washrooms. That's just what I believe in.

Oh boy. I have no intention in weighing in on whether you are or aren't homophobic, but this is the worst defense against it.

This is an interesting discussion.

I know someone whose work place is going through this very issue.  A new staff member is transitioning from female to male and there is much consternation over which washroom he should use.

I find it very hard to buy in to the children debate, and is actually quite insulting to an entire demographic of people.  It is like saying no men should be around children because some men abuse them.

Some adult men abuse male boys as well and no one is up in arms about creating segregated washrooms for adults and children.  In fact, statistically speaking, children are much more at risk of being abused by someone they know and not a stranger in a chance meeting in a washroom.

Personally, I go to the washroom for a very specific reason, and I could care less who is in the stall next to me.  Make unisex washrooms for everyone, what does it really matter.

In regards to a plebiscite on this, although I don’t believe it should ever be binding, but I’d be willing to bet that a high percentage of people under 40 couldn’t care less one way or the other.  The problem with having a plebiscite, is only people who feel strongly about it will really vote, which means you will get much more support for people against it as the ones who truly have a stake in the “for” are relatively small in number.  Those who have no problem with it but don’t feel strongly about it (like me), wouldn’t vote.

People are entitled to be uncomfortable with this, you can’t really change how you feel, but people also need to try to be tolerant as well.  I can assure you that any discomfort that someone feels with having a transgendered person in their washroom is a drop in the bucket compared to the discomfort, discrimination, and bullying these people live on a daily basis.  And no, this is not something they “chose” to be or become, it is who they are, and they are forced to choose to live through that discrimination every day or hide who they really are.

This is the choice people in this situation have with laws against transgendered people using a washroom that is not the same as their birth gender:

1. They can dress and look in a way that is most comfortable to them and use a washroom appropriate to how they look but break the law.
  2. They can dress and look in a way that is most comfortable to them and use a washroom based on their birth gender, and get strange looks and calls from security when someone reports them using the incorrect washroom.
  3. They can hide who they really are and dress and look like their birth gender and use that washroom

None of those are good choices.

People who are brave enough to force this issue are taking the steps and paying the price now to bring education and understanding to the issue so that at some point down the road, this isn't something even worth having a discussion over.

Just now, max power said:

If the transgender bathroom issue was such a no-brainer, you'd think it's proponents would have some better reasoning for it other than just accusing everyone of being hateful and homophobic. Or comparing it to slavery.

Why?  Those comparisons are apt.  Its literally a solution to a problem that doesnt exist.  Its merely a method to further an anti-LGBT agenda, whether it's subtle or overt.

Scroll through this thread and you'll see posts mentioning data and stats and stories that show the "fear" is irrational and unsubstantiated.  Gay people use the same bathroom as you every day and you likely never know.  Trans people do too and many of them you'd never know.  So what's the problem?  Why not make LGBT people wear a large yellow H or W or whatever on them at all times? 

What happens in these public bathrooms that Cruz and his ilk are so sensitive about?  Does Cruz like to remove his pants in the bathroom and is worried about the trans people being overcome with uncontrollable desire?  It's ludicrous.

How many times have you seen a father bring his young daughter into the men's bathroom because she needed to use it and he was the only adult with her?  Same goes for mom's taking their young sons into a women's bathroom.  What's the big issue now?  Because LBGT people are gaining for rights and acceptance and Cruz and his peeps dont like it?  Its an effort to force people back into the closet.

LGBT people make up only 8.5% of the US population and Cruz acts like its war.

Explain how this law would be enforced?  Genital police?  Will the government post security at every public bathroom?  Signs posted saying no trans allowed?  or straight bathroom only?  A Trans Woman being arrested for using the bathoom?  Its lunacy.

Comparison to the civil rights movement is apt.  Because this is a civil rights issue.  There was once a time when many people thought it perfectly acceptable to have separate bathrooms for blacks, separate water fountains, get to the back of the bus.  We generally as an enlightened nation accept how horrible, demeaning and wrong that is.  So why is it okay today to do the same thing to LGBT people?

People are free to think and feel what they want.  But they arent free to hinder the rights of others as a result of those thoughts and feelings.  If someone hates gays, that's their right to feel that way.  If they dont hate gays but just dont like the idea of shared bathrooms, they can feel that way too and then they can use the bathroom at thier home.  Its really that simple.

There has not been one single rational, reasonable reason for it.  If you have one, we're all ears.

According to the American Psychological Association, children are not more likely to be molested by LGBT parents or their LGBT friends or acquaintances. Gregory Herek, a professor at the University of California, Davis, who is one of the nation's leading researchers on prejudice against sexual minorities, reviewed a series of studies and found no evidence that gay men molest children at higher rates than heterosexual men.

The Child Molestation Research & Prevention Institute notes that 90% of child molesters target children in their network of family and friends, and the majority are men married to women. Most child molesters, therefore, are not gay people lingering outside schools waiting to ****** children from the playground, as much religious-right rhetoric suggests.

Transgender specific washrooms are interesting but I'm not sure it's a good idea exactly. I knew a Transgendered person. Born with female parts but for all intents and purposes was a male but then female and finally last time I saw her she was back to being a male. They definitely struggle with their decisions and man he took a lot of crap from people. Ironically mostly kids saying why does that boy look like a girl but I gained tons of respect for him because you could actually hear older ppl whispering and talking about him in public. Kids I get. They don't know.  Adults tho? That's messed up. Regardless tho... I don't know if there is enough Trans people around that they require specific bathrooms and what's to stop a Trans hater From going in that bathroom and wooping some ass. Probably creates more problems. Personally I think Trans people just want to be accepted for what they are... and don't want to be looked at as being different or a freak or whatever so creating bathrooms specifically for them to use.... I don't really see how it helps. I've also watched I AM JAZZ.. really good show and I get the impression that Jazz while born a boy wants to be accepted and be known as a girl. Forcing her to go pee in her own bathroom... not sure that's what she wants. 

Personally could care less who is peeing in the stall beside me. Don't care and not sure why anyone would. I'm in there to go pee and get out. Not to make friends 

Notice how I called him a he. That's what they want .. to be accepted for who they are. 

Edited by Goalie

Agreed Goalie.  The idea of specific bathrooms for Trans people is akin to marking them.  its degrading.  And like you said, people use the bathroom to use the bathroom.  What's next?  Marking people who are gay and forcing them to pee in a separate bathroom because it makes the macho straight guys uncomfortable?  Just so silly.

Here is an account of a law-breaking person from North Carolina:

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/25/11490498/north-carolina-bathroom-law-transgender