Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

Congratulations to the UBC Thunderbirds who played an outstanding game to defeat the defending Champion Montreal Carabins. What a game!

Michael O'Conner is a very good QB. He's going to make his mark in the CIS.

Two great games this weekend!!

.*~*~*~ Vancouver Province -

It was Vanier Cup euphoria for first year quarterback Michael O'Connor, kicking ace Quinn van Gylswyk and the rest of the underdog University of British Columbia Thunderbirds.

The 19-year-old O'Connor passed for 389 yards and van Gylswyk's fourth field goal with no time left was the game-winner as UBC edged the defending champion University of Montreal Carabins 26-23 in a thrilling Vanier Cup final on Saturday afternoon.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Thunderbirds+Vanier+last+play+field+goal/11551952/story.html#ixzz3swhu9Nhd

Eskimos coach Chris Jones on possibility of @sskroughriders GM/HC job: "I don't want to think about that right now. No comment."

He would be an extremely good hire for the Riders so I hope they don't get him.

Why would Lawless ask the guy this right after the game?  

Eskimos coach Chris Jones on possibility of @sskroughriders GM/HC job: "I don't want to think about that right now. No comment."

He would be an extremely good hire for the Riders so I hope they don't get him.

Why would Lawless ask the guy this right after the game?  

Because he's Lawless.

Also of note: Jon Cornish making it official today with retirement announcement presser scheduled for this afternoon.

Good for him... I'm not happy the CFL is losing the best Canadian RB to ever play in the league... but clearly his injuries are taking a toll so I'm happy to see he'll stop playing while he is still in good health...

Would it be premature to consider Andrew Harris a lock to sign with the WBB now that Wally is HC & GM?

I thought it was Tedford he didn't like?... though he did complain publicly about the contract he was offered...

Could be - I was going off the contract dissatisfaction. Beneviedes & Wally did make good use of him, so hopefully he isn't too worn out.

Would it be premature to consider Andrew Harris a lock to sign with the WBB now that Wally is HC & GM?

I thought it was Tedford he didn't like?... though he did complain publicly about the contract he was offered...
my guess is that he's getting closer to the end of his career and would like to finish it off at home.

Why do people want to be HC and GM? Because if you do both there are no discussions or disputes about personnel. It is that simple. So it will be interesting to see if Chris Jones goes to Sask for that reason and see how Huff and Dickerson transition into their new roles.

Wally has fired two head coaches now and if I was an assistant I wouldn't feel too safe there. It's never gonna be Wally's fault after all.

NEWS 1130 Sports @NEWS1130Sports 47m47 minutes ago

Look for #BCLions to announce soon that OC George Cortez is no longer with the team..

IMO, we should not be thinking about bringing Cortez here. We need a creative younger mind, not a grumpy over the hill old man.

Wally has fired two head coaches now and if I was an assistant I wouldn't feel too safe there. It's never gonna be Wally's fault after all.

NEWS 1130 Sports @NEWS1130Sports 47m47 minutes ago

Look for #BCLions to announce soon that OC George Cortez is no longer with the team..

IMO, we should not be thinking about bringing Cortez here. We need a creative younger mind, not a grumpy over the hill old man.

And yet Doug Berry's name continues to surface.

I agree but O'Shea's history has been to go with the established guy so it would not shock me.

Before you write off Cortez, look at the other candidates .. Jones has zero track record as an OC and Lapo's a retread with only one good year as an OC, back in 2009. Cortez had an insane offence in Hamilton as recently as three seasons ago ... led the league in scoring with zero support from his Casey Creehan defense. (GC was the OC of that team as well as the HC)

Who out there is better than Cortez?

(edit, yeah I missed that Khari had a couple years as an OC, Hamilton in 2011 and BC in 2014. Still think that Cortez has shown way more than him.)