Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

14 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I dont see why we couldnt go back that far, prior to 2008 we had a roughly consistent .500 team but getting older, we bring in kelly and he made some awful moves that snowballed.  Lapo and Mack didnt have much to work with,  but tried to repair the damage left by kelly but other then the exception of 2011 (i think that Pierces health played a big contributing factor to that season) it was still too steep of an uphill climb. Burke and so far the current regime haven't proven to be the difference either and one of the most agreed upon consensus is Willy's health has been a deciding factor in our teams success/woes lately

TF, I'm glad you did go back that far. It just shows the incompetency & for how long this has been going on. 

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

Is there an age that decides this?

He has never signed a CFL contract so I thought his rights would be retained by Winnipeg.

Seems to me that after a certain period of time a team loses a drafted player. I may be wrong. Where's Jacquie when you need her. ;)

8 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Seems to me that after a certain period of time a team loses a drafted player. I may be wrong. Where's Jacquie when you need her. ;)

This article from earlier this month implies he is still Bomber property.

http://3downnation.com/2016/03/11/andy-mulumba-becomes-nfl-and-cfl-free-agent/

Mulumba, 26, was drafted second overall by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the 2013 draft and the team retains his CFL rights. But the Eastern Michigan product is now free to sign with any NFL team he chooses, including Green Bay should they try to re-sign him to a less expensive deal.

On 31/03/2016 at 7:58 PM, iso_55 said:

If the Stamps ownership called called Calgary Sports & Entertainment Company (CSEC) operated by the Flames are a "bottomless pit" of money then why do the Stamps have probably the worst stadium in the CFL? Why not just fund a new one? The Stamps have an average weight room for players, no indoor practice facility, a 55 year old stadium that woefully needs to be replaced & a season ticket base that for the most part is stagnating & a lot of complaints from fans about the lack of comforts & amenities at McMahon Stadium. Using the bottomless pit logic means that Calgary should have had a  brand new state of the art stadium as well as facilities better than anywhere in the CFL by now. If anything, the Flames (CSEC) want taxpayers here to fund up to $700 million for the proposed Calgary Next project. It's no bottomless pit of money that's for sure. The Stamps are driven by financial performance. The Flames just don't throw away good money for bad with any of their teams.

I think you're taking this "bottomless pit of money" concept far too literally... however, you do have some good points about our continued mediocrity and the one consistent factor...

I wish the Bombers are cheap thing will go away. You know who is cheap? The NFL is cheap. The amount of money involved is enormous and still they have to have stadiums built by the taxpayer (notably not the one coming in LA but I wouldn't surprised is somehow that situation changed). 

How rich the owner/s are really doesn't play into it. Take the example a little closer to home. I am not a hockey guy (never played) but I do know that the Jets will dump their captain to stay under the cap even though one of the owners is one of the richest guys in the world. 

Just had a thought. It the hockey cap hard or soft like NBA cap which allows teams to go over but pay tax.