Kyle Walters End-Of-Year Presser

Noeller

http://www.bluebombers.com/video/index/id/119755

Some good things in here. Really get the impression KW is a really smart guy who desperately wants to succeed. It's just a matter of putting all the pieces together.

I listened to the presser, in two parts, and came away thinking they are serious and focused on improving things on the football. They are far from satisfied from with the results, of course, but remain adamant that it can get done. From the free agents, to the d-line, to the o-line and RBs and QBs, everything was touched on. It's worth a listen for sure.

Well spoken. But a lot of issues reek of the issues he was discussing two years ago and they're still not fixed.

I can't believe his defense of Brohm though. I hope it's just lip service, that guy is atrocious. Says every spot was tough except for one, yet also says the one spot that he had the right opportunity, he pissed it away. Come on.

I'll keep watching though.

I don't know.  Between his backing of Brohm (OMG he better not be back next year), and saying our Oline was competitive...eh.  He was definitely trying to make the team sound better then it was.  And the whole thing about him having enough scouts.  So I guess none of those guys are getting replaced even though they seem to suck at it.

I don't know.  Between his backing of Brohm (OMG he better not be back next year), and saying our Oline was competitive...eh.  He was definitely trying to make the team sound better then it was.  And the whole thing about him having enough scouts.  So I guess none of those guys are getting replaced even though they seem to suck at it.

Wait....what?!?!?!?

If you read between the lines on that though he doesn't come across as saying "no problems here" I do believe when referencing the OL he was placing plenty of blame on the scheme. Saying "my players are fine it's the scheme not letting them work. Which is a sentiment many here have echoed. 

Walters sounded the same as he did last year. Smart, intelligent, knowledgeable at what needs to be done. Last season he seemed focused on winning & improving the team to be a playoff contender... But it didn't happen.He's sounding very much this season like he did last year at this time so, we'll see what this off season brings in an OC & staff as well as FA's. The pressure on these guys to win next season is going to astronomical. They have just one more season to build a winner as well as a playoff spot. If they can't pull it off they're gone. 

I'm not as optimistic about this team for next year as I was going into this season. I thought our OL would be among the best with the signings of Brayant & Picard. I thought our DL would be better & other than Westerman it was dreadful. O'Shea & Walters kept telling us last off season that our backup qb position was solid with Brohm & Marve & I believed them. Look what happened. I even thought MOS would do much better as a head coach... Well...

I honestly thought the Bombers were going to be a legitimate playoff contender this season. I bought in & this is why I'm so angry about the season & feel like I was given a bunch of malarkey by Walters & O'Shea. Yes, Walters sounds like a guy who knows what he's doing but we'll see. Actions speak louder than words. I won't be as optimistic going into 2016. I'll have a wait & see attitude now. I certainly won't even consider this team a playoff contender. Like Roger Daltry of The Who sang, "We won't get fooled again". 

I listened to both parts about 45 minutes ago. Not bad, KW does recognize the issues, Says their receivers don't really stack up with the receivers on other teams, we know this but nice to see KW saying it, Mentioned the DLine and how they want improvement there, Mentioned Zach Anderson specifically saying he bulked up too much this year and next year he will hopefully be down some weight and fully recovered from his surgery, Got the feeling that maybe a guy like  Turner won't be around much longer.. Also thought his thoughts on Brohm was interesting but... i didn't really see him defending him, basically said, he had his chance but pissed it away, Brohms a goner... Sounded like he was more high on Marve than Brohm actually but Marve had to retire, we all know that. Do agree that the talent on the oline is there, Bryant,Chungh,Goossen and Jace Daniels are a good group, they really just need a guard and they should be better... never mentioned Picard or Neufeld once. Found that interesting, did mention that they might have to release some players making some good money in the future... Thought it was good, spoke about the scouting and how they are talking about if they need to add another scout or more, found that interesting. Lots of the questions weren't very good tho, not very well thought out questions by our media, never did get in to specifics too much... would have liked to see the media ask some tougher more interesting questions but they are what they are I guess. 

Listening to Walters really makes me want to see him do well, The guy obviously cares quite a bit. Found his comment about Guelph quite interesting, yeah we will be there around Christmas to see familly, what about the job Friesen asks? Says it's funny how these rumors start.

Good summary, torched the receivers and the D for not forcing enough 2 and outs. Nice to see he recognized the problems that the kool-aide gang didn't. Have to agree that for his flaws, he knows enough about the game and where the improvement is needed.  

Don't really care for the whole "kool-aide gang" comment. I'm guessing you are refering to Oshea and the coaches here? 

I don't know man but... I think if we have truly learned one thing about Mike O'shea, it's that he will not throw players under the bus in public, he's said it multiple times even, I'm not sure why some people have issues with that... Don't kid yourself, MOS recognizes the problems too, he's just not gonna come out and throw anyone under the bus, Neither did walters really, He just said that certain areas, all areas need to improve and you know what, He's right.. Every GM would say that too, Even Calgary and Hamilton and the best teams in the league are always looking to improve, Just cuz MOS doesn't come out and name names and throw people under the bus, doesn't mean he doesn't recognize the problems...

MOS seems to be learning from his past mistakes, he fire bellefeuille pretty quickly after the season ended, he obvious recognized the O was a problem. 

Walters didn't exactly name names either... he mentioned positions and how they'd like to improve on some... He didn't say "this guy" sucked, he said we need to get better at these positions... specifically DL and Receiver.. He didn't name names. The only guy he half threw under the bus was Brohm when he said, he pissed his chance away. 

Amy mentioning on why he brought in **** like Walker instead of recruiting players?

Actually he did address the RB situation in stating that 2 guys were earmarked for the "smaller-quicker" back spot - Carlos Anderson and Cotton. Both, unfortunately, went down with injury. And Marshall wasn't meant to be that kind of back. He didn't mention Walker at all, because unlike some people on this board, he was never meant to be "that guy". He was just an emergency replacement filler, who has played in the CFL. Don't know why anybody figured any different. He was here and gone before anybody could have been brought in and learned the system. Besides, D. Scott came off the 6 game IR. Another reason Walker was signed short term.

Walters ...

- Blames injuries, specifically the one to Willy, for the poor season because "QBs are so rare and the depth isn't there". Well the depth was there, we had 2 backup QBs, except they both sucked and neither one of them could perform. Who's responsibility is that?

- Blamed the D and not the O. Really? Said the O was always starting deep because the D gave up too much. Never mentioned Bellefeuille and wouldn't discuss the OC or the schemes. Seemed to be in denial.

- When asked about offense said the Oline was as good as the top Olines in the league. Claimed the sacks were a result of the QB not getting rid of the ball fast enough and the receivers needed to be better. Must have watched a different game from me.

- Claimed the injuries to Cotton and Anderson took our playmakers away and that Marshall was not a playmaker. That wasn't fair to Marshall who made many plays for us. Who's job is depth again? Walters had all season to replace Carlos Anderson and could only come up with Stoudermire. 

- Stuttered and stammered a lot about the draft. Seemed confused. Confused me.

- When asked about pending Free Agency, needed the media to tell him the names of half the players who contracts were up. Shouldn't Walters have known these names straight up? He seemed disinterested.

I didn't like Walters refernce to Cam Marshall as not being a playmaker. The guy was the only bright spot in our run game & instead had to share time with duds like Chevon Walker all seaon long which made absolutely no sense. He should have been our full time #1 back all along. Also, he should have got the ball much more than he did. I think the guy could have been a thousand yard rusher if he had the opportunity to carry the ball 15-20 times a game & instead our GM dismisses what he did. I sure hope the coaches & GM don't evaluate Marshall the same way they evaluated Brohm & Marve... All wrong.

Walters ...

- Blames injuries, specifically the one to Willy, for the poor season because "QBs are so rare and the depth isn't there". Well the depth was there, we had 2 backup QBs, except they both sucked and neither one of them could perform. Who's responsibility is that?

- Blamed the D and not the O. Really? Said the O was always starting deep because the D gave up too much. Never mentioned Bellefeuille and wouldn't discuss the OC or the schemes. Seemed to be in denial.

- When asked about offense said the Oline was as good as the top Olines in the league. Claimed the sacks were a result of the QB not getting rid of the ball fast enough and the receivers needed to be better. Must have watched a different game from me.

- Claimed the injuries to Cotton and Anderson took our playmakers away and that Marshall was not a playmaker. That wasn't fair to Marshall who made many plays for us. Who's job is depth again? Walters had all season to replace Carlos Anderson and could only come up with Stoudermire. 

- When asked about pending Free Agency, needed the media to tell him the names of half the players who contracts were up. Shouldn't Walters have known these names straight up? He seemed disinterested.

Must have been a different presser than the one I heard..

I didn't like Walters refernce to Cam Marshall as not being a playmaker. The guy was the only bright spot in our run game & instead had to share time with duds like Chevon Walker all seaon long which made absolutely no sense. He should have been our full time #1 back all along. Also, he should have got the ball much more than he did. I think the guy could have been a thousand yard rusher if he had the opportunity to carry the ball 15-20 times a game & instead our GM dismisses what he did. I sure hope the coaches & GM don't evaluate Marshall the same way they evaluated Brohm & Marve... All wrong.

Marshall isn't that kind of game breaker - not play maker. A breaker who, on one touch can outrun everybody on one touch. Marshall is prized for the kind of player he is..a pounder and a heavy runner who can also catch the ball out of the backfield. He isn't going anywhere.

Share time with Chevon? Like for 5 weeks until Scott came back?

I'm not sure Marshall is an every play back, but he isn't being dismissed at all by Walters that I could see.

Walters ...

Must have been a different presser than the one I heard..

Somewhere in between.

I listened to both parts about 45 minutes ago. Not bad, KW does recognize the issues, Says their receivers don't really stack up with the receivers on other teams, we know this but nice to see KW saying it, Mentioned the DLine and how they want improvement there, Mentioned Zach Anderson specifically saying he bulked up too much this year and next year he will hopefully be down some weight and fully recovered from his surgery, Got the feeling that maybe a guy like  Turner won't be around much longer.. Also thought his thoughts on Brohm was interesting but... i didn't really see him defending him, basically said, he had his chance but pissed it away, Brohms a goner... Sounded like he was more high on Marve than Brohm actually but Marve had to retire, we all know that. Do agree that the talent on the oline is there, Bryant,Chungh,Goossen and Jace Daniels are a good group, they really just need a guard and they should be better... never mentioned Picard or Neufeld once. Found that interesting, did mention that they might have to release some players making some good money in the future... Thought it was good, spoke about the scouting and how they are talking about if they need to add another scout or more, found that interesting. Lots of the questions weren't very good tho, not very well thought out questions by our media, never did get in to specifics too much... would have liked to see the media ask some tougher more interesting questions but they are what they are I guess. 

Listening to Walters really makes me want to see him do well, The guy obviously cares quite a bit. Found his comment about Guelph quite interesting, yeah we will be there around Christmas to see , what about the job Friesen asks? Says it's funny how these rumors start.

I didn't see anyone in this forum wishing that Walters, O'Shea, Bellefeuille or whoever the heck would screw up so badly as to cause the team to miss the playoffs and put their own jobs at risk. Etcheverry appeared to be a twit, however and incapable of adapting. The undeniable fact is that they have nor gotten the job done and have nothing but cliches and platitudes to offer as hope for next season. Until very recently I have been a Walters supporter (whatever that's worth) but it is sounding more and more like he has no idea what to do to fix this.

Realistically, would we have been worse off if Chevon Walker had never signed? Would we have been better off to field another tight end or even a mediocre import receiver and go with a 5-receiver set?

More on MOS: -

THE HEAD COACH

For a guy who holds the title of most games played by a defensive player, won four Grey Cups, and is second in league history in tackles, his toughness sure gets put into question frequently. Many times throughout the season, including in his end of year address Tuesday, he was asked why he doesn’t show more emotion, (i.e. getting after players on the sidelines during a game) for everyone to see.

Have you ever heard the saying “don’t believe everything you read?” Well, don’t believe everything you see, either. His ‘calm’ demeanor on the sidelines is often misconstrued, because he’s the type of guy that can send Goosebumps down your spine simply by looking at you.

Fans didn’t hear him walk up to a player this season and say, “you ever do that again I’ll cut your *** right on the *** sidelines.” They didn’t see him storm into the locker room at halftime of a road game this year, and with the room dead silent say, “that’s the most embarrassing half of football I have EVER been a part of.” Fans don’t see the look in his eyes as he roams the locker room at halftime, diminishing players to a cower for taking a stupid penalty.

People say Coach O’Shea isn’t emotional. Ask any player, and they will agree, he is hands-down one of the most emotional people I have ever met. He commands the respect of our locker room like no coach I have ever worked with, and as he told me the other day, “We WILL get this right. We have to.” I’ve seen and heard a lot here over the course of seven years, and without hesitation, I believe that statement wholeheartedly.

http://m.bluebombers.com/article/blog-wrapping-up-2015