Bellefeuille OUT.....

trueBlue83

I wonder if they put more faith in Osh's defensive mind to compensate Etch's D. It wasnt unrealistic for them to wanna surround Osh with experience being a rookie HC, and the knock on Etch was he was easily figured out by Labour Day, I wonder if they thought Oshea would be hitting a bit of stride by that point and helping shake up the etch-a-sketch board

O'Shea's never been a DC so it would be unrealistic for them to expect he'd be able to fix Etch's D by mid-season.

I disagree. Due to his experience as a player. He has been a part of some great defenses. And if you hear his former team mates speak, he was basically a coach on the field. He knows the CFL defense and could design one if needed. I have a hard time believing a future HOF MLB wouldn't know how. Especially one that spent basically his entire life around the Canadian game.

I'm also pretty sure that if he could pick any defensive coordinator in the league to run his defence it'd be Steinhauer and everyone here loves his defense right? O'Shea knows what he's doing, a lot of people spouting off on here though don't really know the ins and outs of what goes on in hiring decisions. 

O'Shea didn't just make a mistake with MB. He made a mistake hiring MB, Tracey and Etch. He made a mistake when he only replaced Etch last offseason.

Folks around here want to give O'Shea a pat on the back for hiring Hall but no responsibility for hiring Etch in the first place. BTW: If Hall wanted to stay as a CFL DC, he had no other choice but Winnipeg, so I'm not sure you can call it a great O'Shea hire as much as a good DC was available who had no other choices. They also want to give him an attaboy for firing Tracey mid-season without holding him responsible for either hiring Tracey in the first place or keeping him on after last year. Now they want to say that MB is 'THE' problem on the team and that O'Shea shouldn't bear any responsibility for hiring him or keeping him for 2 years.

For me, it's a pattern of O'Shea not realizing that he's made a mistake followed by not admitting his mistakes followed by finally having to get rid of the mistakes. 

There were other options that could have been choosen from...ones that all we needed to do was offer some $$ and make it a non-lateral move from where they were and it could have happened. But they chose Hall, and he didn't come at a low ball salary either. He was a good and I think right hire to re-establish a sense of a usefull CFL defence.

There was really nothing wrong with his schemes and his game adjustments, more a matter of a couple players shy of really having a good defence, and the fact that it was a new system and an obvious learning curve for all. Next year I bet people will be raving about or defence. 

Pretty sure Oshea knows MB was not the guy to bring us forward but when Willy went down we were handcuffed (especially before we got Nichols) and trying to install a new system amd philosophy with a stable of relative rookie or green to the CFL quarterbacks and not really being experienced with what to look for, how to attack and how to adjust to the Canadian game would have been an utter disaster of massive proportions and would have hurt us moving forward bigtime and made this place look like a looney bin organization.

Sticking with MB was the only choice and Oshea used great judgement and a set of balls to take the heat and if it came to it fall on the sword for the organization and his players. One of the reasons that he is loved and respected by players, and not just on the Bombers and why guys never really quit on him. The players we want to keep never did and the few that looked like they were slacking off are probably already decided upon as not being back anyway. 

The fault of this team for years has been to keep throwing consistancy and dedicated time into things, bringing us to where we are the last decade.

I always like your posts. Well thought out and presented. That being said....

I agree that Hall was a good hire. He was my second choice behind Benevides because I prefer an attacking defence. I read that we offered both of them the job and Benevides turned us down. I'm not sure what Hall is making compared to the other DC's in the league, but his experience would suggest he's going to get more than average. Hall's hiring doesn't relieve O'Shea from the responsibility of Etch's hiring and O'Shea had 2 good candidates to choose from. BTW: 2014 - Etch - Avg Yards per game against = 338.6 = 8th in the league, 2015 - Hall - Avg Yards Per game against = 394.2 = 8th in the league.

MB got us the 9th ranked offense in 2014 in Net Yards and Avg Net offence. That's actually worse than Etch's 8th ranked defence in yards against and net yards per game against. Bringing him back in the name of consistency seems to have worked, because we were still last in Avg Yard Per Game this year. The only time you want consistency is when you're above average to good, not when you're the last in the league. I would much rather have seen Willy learn a new offense where he didn't take so many hits then trotted back out to get creamed over and over in the MB offence.

The fault of this team for years hasn't been a lack of consistency. It's been a lot of bad hires. We constantly go for the rookies and cross our fingers that they will become the next good to great CEO, GM or HC. When they fail, we end up having to pay them out and start over again. When we do pay for experience, we choose candidates with a history of failure with mostly bad teams instead of 'overpaying' for guys with good experience on winning teams. 

This year's coaches of the year candidates show what we should be doing. Both have been coaching since the mid-90's. Both have coached at a high level with good teams who find ways to win. Both have found ways to make their teams highly competitive. 

I wonder if they put more faith in Osh's defensive mind to compensate Etch's D. It wasnt unrealistic for them to wanna surround Osh with experience being a rookie HC, and the knock on Etch was he was easily figured out by Labour Day, I wonder if they thought Oshea would be hitting a bit of stride by that point and helping shake up the etch-a-sketch board

O'Shea's never been a DC so it would be unrealistic for them to expect he'd be able to fix Etch's D by mid-season.

I disagree. Due to his experience as a player. He has been a part of some great defenses. And if you hear his former team mates speak, he was basically a coach on the field. He knows the CFL defense and could design one if needed. I have a hard time believing a future HOF MLB wouldn't know how. Especially one that spent basically his entire life around the Canadian game.

MO was a great MLB no question about it but being part of great defences and designing great defences are two totally different skillsets. 

MO was a great MLB no question about it but being part of great defences and designing great defences are two totally different skillsets. 

Yes, but he was also a great ST player. And he's shown he knows how design some pretty good ST. So he has shown he does have the skill set to transfer on field experience to the playbook. Hence, it wouldn't be unrealistic to expect him to be able to help design a new etch D.

O'Shea was a great MLB and a great STC, but he's never tried to be a DC so we really don't know if he can do that job or not. You can assume he can, but then again most folks assumed he'd be a great HC and he's been a bust so far.

We aren't discussing whether or not he would be a good DC. Just whether or not it would be unrealistic to expect him to know how to Design a Defense along with another DC (Etch), which is what your original statement was. That it would be unrealistic to assume so. I'm simply stating that since he's already shown he can take on field experience and transfer that to a playbook via Special teams. It isn't unrealistic that he could also do that for a Defense. Whether or not it would work out is another discussion all together.

I think some people are severely underestimating the MOS's understanding of the game in Canadian football, and therein lies the problem. They only think of him as a great MLB, not as a guy who has seen and learned from some of the best coaches this league has seen. The problem(s) MOS has had to face are probably only partially known to the common fan. After all, it is Winnipeg were talking about.

From what I've seen and read, there are many "fans" of what MOS is doing in the 'Peg and that alone makes me reflect on what they're saying. More time..we're close.

Good. We're moving on with O'Shea and I hope to high heaven it works out for him to justify the faith he has shown in this org.

O'Shea was a great MLB and a great STC, but he's never tried to be a DC so we really don't know if he can do that job or not. You can assume he can, but then again most folks assumed he'd be a great HC and he's been a bust so far.

We aren't discussing whether or not he would be a good DC. Just whether or not it would be unrealistic to expect him to know how to Design a Defense along with another DC (Etch), which is what your original statement was. That it would be unrealistic to assume so. I'm simply stating that since he's already shown he can take on field experience and transfer that to a playbook via Special teams. It isn't unrealistic that he could also do that for a Defense. Whether or not it would work out is another discussion all together.

If he were a former DC at any level then I'd agree with you. As he wasn't I don't.

If he were a former DC at any level then I'd agree with you. As he wasn't I don't.

So only DC's can recognize or design defensive schemes then?  I'm betting that lots of defensive position coaches can, to various degrees do it, and I'm willing to bet that some players can too.  I know this because there is no "magic" that happens once someone is named defensive coordinator.  They are not suddenly able to do things that they couldn't do before, it's just that they are now being paid and given the responsibility for doing it.

So does O'shea have a background that might allow him to help a DC put together a defensive package?  Of course he does.  Arguing that he doesn't is just plain silly.  Would O'Shea be really good at doing it?  Maybe, maybe not.

So only DC's can recognize or design defensive schemes then?  I'm betting that lots of defensive position coaches can, to various degrees do it, and I'm willing to bet that some players can too.  I know this because there is no "magic" that happens once someone is named defensive coordinator.  They are not suddenly able to do things that they couldn't do before, it's just that they are now being paid and given the responsibility for doing it.

So does O'shea have a background that might allow him to help a DC put together a defensive package?  Of course he does.  Arguing that he doesn't is just plain silly.  Would O'Shea be really good at doing it?  Maybe, maybe not.

Nope, you're just not getting it and going way off on a tangent. 

Expecting a HC with 4 years coaching experience total, none of it as a DC, to fix Etch's schemes when he's been a coach since 1980 and a DC since 1994 is ridiculous. No GM, even ours, would expect that to happen. If our HC was an ex-DC, then expecting him to help and fix Etch's schemes would be realistic.

Nope, you're just not getting it and going way off on a tangent. 

Expecting a HC with 4 years coaching experience total, none of it as a DC, to fix Etch's schemes when he's been a coach since 1980 and a DC since 1994 is ridiculous. No GM, even ours, would expect that to happen. If our HC was an ex-DC, then expecting him to help and fix Etch's schemes would be realistic.

I always enjoy reading your responses because you really do try so very hard to move the point of the argument around as much as possible.  If you were in charge of setting up the goal posts for CFL games, you'd have them on dollies.

Sure that's how it works. Once someone has enough experience points they level up and gain new skills that they don't have access to before. 

You are allowed your opinion. Even though it's wrong. ;)

Sure that's how it works. Once someone has enough experience points they level up and gain new skills that they don't have access to before. 

*finger snaps*

I am defeated...

Oooh someone's got himself a Post of Burning +1

/nerd off.

For those who believe that O'Shea's background allowed him to recognize and build a great defence, if this were the case, why could he not realize what many here saw in Etcheverry's record and defence as it was fielded with the Bombers? We didn't have to wait past a few games before the defence was getting trampled, and the offence has been the worst or second worst in the league for two years- predictable and toothless.

If the members in this forum could see the problems in the offense, defence and special teams for so long, and even predicted them, how could an allegedly astute head coach not?

How do we know that O'Shea wasn't trying to give advice/suggestions to Etch all through that year.  At the same time, you have to let you coordinator do what it is you're paying him for, so it's expecting a lot to expect a rookie HC to just get in there and do it himself and send his DC packing mid season.  At the end of the year I recall O'Shea saying that he had had a talk with Etch and had tried to get him to make some changes, but that Etch couldn't buy into them.  Sounds to me like O'Shea did have some ideas after all.

Having said all that, O'Shea did not do well in his first go-around of hiring HC's.  That's obvious and I'm thinking he's probably used all of his "whoops" passes in that department.

For those who believe that O'Shea's background allowed him to recognize and build a great defence, if this were the case, why could he not realize what many here saw in Etcheverry's record and defence as it was fielded with the Bombers? We didn't have to wait past a few games before the defence was getting trampled, and the offence has been the worst or second worst in the league for two years- predictable and toothless.

If the members in this forum could see the problems in the offense, defence and special teams for so long, and even predicted them, how could an allegedly astute head coach not?

That is only an Assumption. This is a fan forum, and while some may have more knowledge then others. No one here really knows what goes on during meetings etc etc.

How do we know that O'Shea wasn't trying to give advice/suggestions to Etch all through that year.  At the same time, you have to let you coordinator do what it is you're paying him for, so it's expecting a lot to expect a rookie HC to just get in there and do it himself and send his DC packing mid season.  At the end of the year I recall O'Shea saying that he had had a talk with Etch and had tried to get him to make some changes, but that Etch couldn't buy into them.  Sounds to me like O'Shea did have some ideas after all.

Having said all that, O'Shea did not do well in his first go-around of hiring HC's.  That's obvious and I'm thinking he's probably used all of his "whoops" passes in that department.

Etcheverry's rep was out there and was hired anyways. Same for Bellefeuille. The same ineffectiveness that Bellefeuille's offenses have shown in his previous incarnations has been evident for two years before he was finally canned. The special teams were a mess for a season and a half before at coach was fired. Is there a pattern here?

Has any coach in the CFL survived into a third season with such a record in choosing poor assistants plus accumulating an equally poor win/loss record and so many blowout losses?

Oooh someone's got himself a Post of Burning +1

/nerd off.

Your nerd is never off.

That is only an Assumption. This is a fan forum, and while some may have more knowledge then others. No one here really knows what goes on during meetings etc etc.

If O'Shea was aware of these problems and still sat on his hands that long, does that make his status better or worse?

If O'Shea was aware of these problems and still sat on his hands that long, does that make his status better or worse?

Assuming he did nothing while seeing the issues that would obviously make his status worse. But again, there is no way of knowing either way.

I'm also pretty sure that if he could pick any defensive coordinator in the league to run his defence it'd be Steinhauer and everyone here loves his defense right? O'Shea knows what he's doing, a lot of people spouting off on here though don't really know the ins and outs of what goes on in hiring decisions.
What do you base that MOS knows what he is doing on?His record?His hiring of assistant coaches?I would suggest you don't know a lot of the in and outs any better than the naysayers.Just saying.

What do you base that MOS knows what he is doing on?His record?His hiring of assistant coaches?I would suggest you don't know a lot of the in and outs any better than the naysayers.Just saying.

I'm not pretending like I know the ins and outs. That's the difference. I base O'Sheas knowing what he's doing on the improvements in the defence when he didn't have to hire a last choice after being turned down by everyone else of interest. I base it on the way he speaks about the defense in Hamilton and specifically mentioning how well Steinhauer has those guys playing. Mike O'Shea is not a dummy. He didn't get where he is by being a dummy. Even when he talks about Bellefeuille he mentions continuity being important for Willy in his mind. Not a bad point, they tried to spend their way into better protection for him and it didn't work so he fired the guy. Just because he is more patient than people here doesn't mean he's not a good coach, just means he isn't the knee jerk reaction type.