what would our record be if Willy hadn't been injured?

Nolby

you really think we only win 1 or 2 games since he went out in our 7th game? we were 3-3 at that point with him, and even though Hamilton scored on its opening drive the game he went down, he stormed back and got us a TD right back. reminded me a lot of the 2nd half bombers (2nd half the year) but clicking offensively right out the gate. thats been the huge difference between nichols and willy imo. nichols seem to adjust by late 2nd quarter-early 3rd quarter,  where as willy could go go go.

I never felt willy couldnt march the ball at any time,  with nichols it was not a matter of if,  but when,  with brohm and marve not at all

What would all the other teams records be if their starting QB s hadn't got hurt? Welcome to the reality of the CFL and the living prove of the need for QB depth something that Winnipeg failed to have.

Why ask why? Just play along lol. Not every question needs to be turned into a bashfest.

7-11 or 8-10 as even with a healthy Willy at the helm, MB's offense is just not capable of beating CFL defenses of today. Every DC really seemed to be in Bellfools head. Every gimmick play was picked up almost right from the get go. Almost every offensive series had the offense fighting themselves and the defense.

Willy had us at 3-3 when our defence was still figuring things out early in the season. If he had remained healthy....and that's a big if....and he got to play when our defence had finally found it's legs this season would be entirely different. We would be a playoff team for sure.

That's why not signing Kevin Glenn this offseason was a big mistake imo. Had he been able to take over right at the time Willy got injured we may not have seen the black hole that was Marve/Brohm and even some of the stinkers that Nichols put up.

Unfortunately, for us, our management hasn't valued backup QBing for quite some time. Instead using our backup spot on development players in order to prove they can develop one of their own.

To answer the question, I can think of 4 games that Willy would have easily made the difference in. That's 9-9 right there, and possibly even 10-8.

What could've been if our GM had done it right.

you really think we only win 1 or 2 games since he went out in our 7th game? we were 3-3 at that point with him, and even though Hamilton scored on its opening drive the game he went down, he stormed back and got us a TD right back. reminded me a lot of the 2nd half bombers (2nd half the year) but clicking offensively right out the gate. thats been the huge difference between nichols and willy imo. nichols seem to adjust by late 2nd quarter-early 3rd quarter,  where as willy could go go go.

I never felt willy couldnt march the ball at any time,  with nichols it was not a matter of if,  but when,  with brohm and marve not at all

Yes I believe they would have won only one or two more games at best. As I have mentioned Willy's numbers were starting to drop. Eventually the offensive scheme would have consumed him as badly as it did the year before and as it did our back ups. He also had the same receivers to throw to and an ineffective running game. If you just sit your QB in the pocket all the time eventually your are going to be having little to no offense. I believe that unless we had a good scrambling QB back there like a Collaros or Lulay the results would have been the same as we have now. The absolute best game that Willy had was when he threw MBs offense out the door and used his feet to better our offense. Willy wasn't going to be doing that all the time. Coaches would have insisted that he remain chained in the pocket. He stayed there after that and we all know what happened.

I like Willy but I don't think he'd have made as much of a difference as a lot fans around here. His slower release would have meant he tooks  takes a bunch more punishment than Nichols who throws the ball away instead of taking the hits when he can. He'd have worn down through the season like he did last year and we'd still send him out at 95% then 90% then 80% then as long as he could hold his arm up and limp to the huddle because of our backup situation. We wouldn't have traded for Nichols so every time Willy went down, Brohm or Marve would try in get the win with pretty obvious results.

I think you completely missed the point of the thread. The question was what would our record have been if Willy hadn't been injured. I think it is fairly safe to assume that the OP meant if he had stayed healthy all season. Sure things might have played out like you say, but that wasn't the question really. Our record if we can keep Willy upright and healthy....10-8.

With Willy at the helm, we would have been better, but probably not a whole bunch. That said, with the Riders, BC and Montreal sucking as bad as they have this year, we likely would have made it into the playoffs only to be dismantled. The loss of Willy was bad, there are a lot of problems on this team apart from even Bellefeuille.

So the game is what if Willy stayed healthy the entire year and played as well as he did when we won, while 6 other team's QB's went down to injury? Yup... that's realistic.  :rolleyes: What's the point? To make up a scenario where the Bombers could have made the playoffs this year? To what end? To say we were better than our record so we can say that the 3 stooges (Miller/Walters/O'Shea) should be kept on because they're on the right track?

So the game is what if Willy stayed healthy the entire year and played as well as he did when we won, while 6 other team's QB's went down to injury? Yup... that's realistic.  :rolleyes: What's the point? To make up a scenario where the Bombers could have made the playoffs this year? To what end? To say we were better than our record so we can say that the 3 stooges (Miller/Walters/O'Shea) should be kept on because they're on the right track?

It's comical the depths people will go to as a means of trying to justify their points instead of realistically considering the impact injuries have on a team. Acting like they don't have an impact on one's season (Look at Hamilton's offence as it is now for example) only makes one look foolish.

The big difference between us and Hamilton's situation was the timing. Collaros already had Hamilton easily in playoff position, while for us Willy's injury happened in mid-August. Five weeks is a big difference in a football season.

It's comical the depths people will go to as a means of trying to justify their points instead of realistically considering the impact injuries have on a team. Acting like they don't have an impact on one's season (Look at Hamilton's offence as it is now for example) only makes one look foolish.

The big difference between us and Hamilton's situation was the timing. Collaros already had Hamilton easily in playoff position, while for us Willy's injury happened in mid-August. Five weeks is a big difference in a football season.

I did realistically consider the impact of Willy's injury (Check back just a few posts to see it) and I was told that that's not what the OP was talking about.