Lawless: O'Shea & Walters to return in 2016

gbill2004

I have read all the posts both pro and con and really don't have an answer. I however, know one thing - the season ticket count for 2016 will tell us whether the decisions that need to be made shortly will be correct or not.

MOS coming back next year is the equivalent of telling the fans that the starting quarterback will once again be Buck Pierce.

I will think positive and believe in 1 more Bomber win and 2 BC/MTL losses.

The problem with your posts Iso, is that they are too logical.

Posts are to be based on how you feel about a player/coach/manager, and who you like, or don't like.

I would like to see someone to post a detailed list of the accomplishments of the head coach over two seasons.

He knows how to ice a kicker ... oh wait.

Posts are to be based on how you feel about a player/coach/manager, and who you like, or don't like.

I would like to see someone to post a detailed list of the accomplishments of the head coach over two seasons.

In back-to-back seasons his player evaluations have produced real gems at MB with Kuale and Hurl.

lol J5V....

Up till yesterday, at least we could say the defence was improving.

but now, with the constant rejigging, switching players in and out for no apparent reason, ditching lineman who played well, putting in guys that havent played well,

the defence seems to have started going south as well. Over five hundred yards against the team, collapse when it mattered most.

I expect consequences for this debacle of a season. If I'm Wade Miller, I fire Danny McManus and lure a top notch scout away from another team. I, aslo, hire a Tom Higgins type of guy as a director of player personnel and hold Walters feet to the flame. Put him on notice that he better do better. I don't fire Walters or O'Shea but make sure I have people at the ready to take over.

If I'm Walters, I talk to O'Shea and demand the firing of MB and let him know his replacement must come with his approval and had better be a good one. I find a blue chipper scout and either add him on or replace McManus/Goveia. I let a lot of our pending non NI FA's walk and sign Andrew Harris and OL help. I sign Bilikudi and dump Hurl. I make every effort to re-sign Matt Nichols or another experienced backup.

If I'm O'Shea, I turf the entire offensive coaching staff. They suck. I get a top notch ST coordinator as well.as a QB coach for Willy and Nichols. Nichols, seemed to have trouble getting into a groove early in ball games and I think that was mostly mental on his part. A good QB coach may have been of great assistance. I, also, walk into Walters office and demand that he sign a gamebreaker on offence. We simply have no one that the opposing defence needs to fear. We need that type of player that changes how opposing defences would like to play against you, into how they have to play against you. We don't have that. We need it desperately. Andrew Harris immediately comes to mind. He keeps opposing defences on their heels.

This, of course, is just a preliminary list but it's where I'd start, I don't believe that firing Walters or O'Shea lends any credibility to our team at all and is something we should try to avoid. Not saying they don't deserve a good public rebuke or that the organization shouldn't put in a first class exit strategy in place for their future dismissal. However, I believe we should stay the course with improvements made of course. We simply cannot continue to be the organization that continues to hire and fire every second year. That could cost us far more then keeping these guys on. We must show stability for once in the past decade or we immediately revert back to being a joke again. We can avoid that. The problems of our current coaching and management are not insurmountable, they just need more of and a better supporting cast....much like the core group of players that we will keep.

Fantastic analysis! I would just add that you need to give your relatively inexperienced GM and head coach some leeway to make mistakes and correct them. In Walters' case, he needs to enhance/replace the scouting staff.

In O'Shea's case, he needs to replace his OC and maybe more of his offensive staff. I think part of the problem with O'Shea has been his deference to his more experienced coordinators, but now that he himself has gained more experience, he should be more confident to pull the trigger on needed changes. I really do think that it's tweaks that we need, not wholesale changes. If you bring in a capable OC (and a left guard), the offense scores more points and stays on the field longer, which makes it easier to play defense, and all of a sudden, you have a playoff team.

O'Shea has his flaws, for sure, but there's something to be said for the fact that his players seem very loyal to him, and has created a fair amount of loyalty to the club (see the long-term extensions signed by players this season). That said, I would only give this regime one more year. If they can't improve next year, then it's time to move on.

I think I have heard this 15 of the last 20 years: 

"I would only give this regime one more year. If they can't improve next year, then it's time to move on."

I expect consequences for this debacle of a season. If I'm Wade Miller, I fire Danny McManus and lure a top notch scout away from another team. I, aslo, hire a Tom Higgins type of guy as a director of player personnel and hold Walters feet to the flame. Put him on notice that he better do better. I don't fire Walters or O'Shea but make sure I have people at the ready to take over.

If I'm Walters, I talk to O'Shea and demand the firing of MB and let him know his replacement must come with his approval and had better be a good one. I find a blue chipper scout and either add him on or replace McManus/Goveia. I let a lot of our pending non NI FA's walk and sign Andrew Harris and OL help. I sign Bilikudi and dump Hurl. I make every effort to re-sign Matt Nichols or another experienced backup.

If I'm O'Shea, I turf the entire offensive coaching staff. They suck. I get a top notch ST coordinator as well.as a QB coach for Willy and Nichols. Nichols, seemed to have trouble getting into a groove early in ball games and I think that was mostly mental on his part. A good QB coach may have been of great assistance. I, also, walk into Walters office and demand that he sign a gamebreaker on offence. We simply have no one that the opposing defence needs to fear. We need that type of player that changes how opposing defences would like to play against you, into how they have to play against you. We don't have that. We need it desperately. Andrew Harris immediately comes to mind. He keeps opposing defences on their heels.

This, of course, is just a preliminary list but it's where I'd start, I don't believe that firing Walters or O'Shea lends any credibility to our team at all and is something we should try to avoid. Not saying they don't deserve a good public rebuke or that the organization shouldn't put in a first class exit strategy in place for their future dismissal. However, I believe we should stay the course with improvements made of course. We simply cannot continue to be the organization that continues to hire and fire every second year. That could cost us far more then keeping these guys on. We must show stability for once in the past decade or we immediately revert back to being a joke again. We can avoid that. The problems of our current coaching and management are not insurmountable, they just need more of and a better supporting cast....much like the core group of players that we will keep.

Fantastic analysis! I would just add that you need to give your relatively inexperienced GM and head coach some leeway to make mistakes and correct them. In Walters' case, he needs to enhance/replace the scouting staff.

In O'Shea's case, he needs to replace his OC and maybe more of his offensive staff. I think part of the problem with O'Shea has been his deference to his more experienced coordinators, but now that he himself has gained more experience, he should be more confident to pull the trigger on needed changes. I really do think that it's tweaks that we need, not wholesale changes. If you bring in a capable OC (and a left guard), the offense scores more points and stays on the field longer, which makes it easier to play defense, and all of a sudden, you have a playoff team.

O'Shea has his flaws, for sure, but there's something to be said for the fact that his players seem very loyal to him, and has created a fair amount of loyalty to the club (see the long-term extensions signed by players this season). That said, I would only give this regime one more year. If they can't improve next year, then it's time to move on.

I think I have heard this 15 of the last 20 years:

"I would only give this regime one more year. If they can't improve next year, then it's time to move on."

Unfortunately this is true. You would think the way some people around here talk about MoS is this guy is a great coach just needs all the stars to align to reveal his genius.

Face the fact that a head coach with extremely limited coaching experience was hired. Limited in terms of both longevity and the fact that his prior coaching was as a ST coach. Compare that to the resumes of the other head coaches in the CFL. Not even close.

And given a crappy team too boot.

Iso logical? Now that's funny...
He makes more sense than someone like you who has their head firmly buried in the sand.
Ahhh...typical Dragon37...

the ole head in the sand comment lol. yup missed those from tep

I think O'Shea will get a one year contract extension so as to not appear a lame-duck coach.  Same as Claude Noel after his second season with the Jets.

MOS needs to have an "associate HC" . (in case he's asked to depart during the season next year) The game has passed MB and Richie Hall by. I'm sick to death of the futility of the Bomber running game and watching opposition recievers having a 10 yard cushion on obvious passing plays. (Demond Washington needs to play somewhere else)

But if you apply political logic to MOS then he had more than enough experience and besides how can you have experience as a head coach until you're a head coach.

He hasn't even been a defensive coordinator. He was a STC & that's it.
Reinbold 2.0

Yes, I think Reinbold was just a STC when he was hired by the Bombers. 

If either of these clowns is back next year as anything other than stadium ushers, I will be taking the year off from following them. I went to a couple of games this year (they lost both games) and I will not stand witness to another season of debacles.

OK, but if they are back, and you don't take the year off, will you change your handle to backtracker?

Touche'- but stay tuned to see.

If either of these clowns is back next year as anything other than stadium ushers, I will be taking the year off from following them. I went to a couple of games this year (they lost both games) and I will not stand witness to another season of debacles.

OK, but if they are back, and you don't take the year off, will you change your handle to backtracker?

And if they are back and we suck again are you gonna step up and say crap these guys did suck? Maybe change your name to no indeed?Or instead of Mr Dee Mr Duped?

And if they are back and we suck again are you gonna step up and say crap these guys did suck? Maybe change your name to no indeed?Or instead of Mr Dee Mr Duped?

Stay tuned. If the same people are still at the helm next season with the almost guaranteed result, there will be enough misery here that I would not need to add by doing an "I told you so". That would be unkind.

I thought it was quite interesting the number of former players on the Ottawa coaching staff. At least 4 names stood out for me. My vote is to fire MB and promote Buck Pearce.

We need changes on the defense, I don't get these huge cushions our DB's give, especially when you can rub and jostle within the 5 yards.

Our offence is offensive, and not getting better. MB has to go. Nicholls I think is taking too long to decide whether to throw or run, resulting in sacks, and we all saw him make some rather poor decisions yesterday. That being said, I want him back, and Brohm gone.

Somebody else mentioned it earlier, lets draft a left guard and get a new o'line coach.

I thought it was quite interesting the number of former players on the Ottawa coaching staff. At least 4 names stood out for me. My vote is to fire MB and promote Buck Pearce.

We need changes on the defense, I don't get these huge cushions our DB's give, especially when you can rub and jostle within the 5 yards.

Our offense is offensive, and not getting better. MB has to go. Nichols I think is taking too long to decide whether to throw or run, resulting in sacks, and we all saw him make some rather poor decisions yesterday. That being said, I want him back, and Brohm gone.

Somebody else mentioned it earlier, lets draft a left guard and get a new o'line coach.

Ottawa may be the beneficiary of Burris having a great year which he may never reach again, but despite a lot of slagging in this forum, DesJardins has made some smart acquisitions. The coaching staff appears to be decent if not exceptional, so that is on DesJardins as well. It has to be really difficult to assess our offensive players until we have good coaching for the offense and O-line and another training camp to get everyone on the same page in a new system.

My vote is to fire MB and promote Buck Pearce.

No.

I'm all for keeping Buck around, but nothing any of the offensive coaching staff have done deserve them a promotion. Bring in a seasoned OC or just say **** off to the fans.

I'm mean, don't we need an OC who can teach Buck something useful? Then when MOS is let go mid-season, at least Buck would have a half year of decent learning under his belt.