SERGIO!

IC Khari

Career Stats: Has made 38 of 49 field goals in his career with a long of 56. Converted 174 of 177 extra-points and will go down in school history as one of the top kickers WT has had. He ranks third all-time in school history in scoring at 288 points. Set the school-record for field goals in a season in 2012 with 20 and owns the school record for career field goals with 38. Broke the school record for consecutive PATs in a career with 64 during the 2012 season as he made 69 of 70 for the year. Has the second-longest field goal made in school history at 56 yards against Abilene Christian in 2012.

2012: Ranked tied for ninth nationally in field goals per game at 1.33 this past season. He also finished 35 nationally in scoring at 8.60 points per game. Went 38 of 49 in field goals made with a career-long 56-yarder against Abilene Christian. Went 69of 70 in extra-points, setting the school-record for 64 consecutive extra-points made during the season. Earned first team all-conference honors and earned Daktronics First Team All-America accolades, as well as being a first team Daktronics All-Region selection. Castillo also earned D2Football.com Honorable Mention All-America honors and BSN Sports First Team All-America accolades. He also was a Little All-America First Team honoree.

2011: Castillo became one of the best kickers in the Lone Star Conference during his sophomore campaign for the Buffs in 2011. He connected on 9 of 13 field goals with a long of 44 yards for a percentage of 69.2. Castillo was good on 6-of-7 from 20-29 yards and 2 of 3 from 30-29 yards on the season, he also went 49 of 50 in PAT’s to rank second on the team in scoring with 76 total points. The sophomore also filled in on kickoffs at certain points of the season, kicking off six times for 385 yards and two touchbacks. For his efforts on the field, Castillo was named to the All-Lone Star Conference First Team.

2010: Castillo stepped into a starting role for the Buffs as a redshirt freshman during the 2010 season. The La Joya native went 9 of 13 with a long of 40 yards for a percentage of 69.2 on the season. Castillo was a perfect 5 for 5 from 20-29 yards out and 1 of 1 from 30-39 yards. Castillo also kicked off the ball nine times for 476 yards. The freshman was named a member of the All-Lone Star Conference First Team for his efforts on the field.

2009: Redshirted.

La Joya High School: Castillo earned first team all-district honors as a placekicker and was a second team selection as a punter for La Joya (Mission, Texas) HS. He also lettered in baseball and soccer for the Coyotes, while also playing in the band.

Personal: Born Nov. 1, 1990. Mother is Maria Guadalupe Cazares. Castillo graduated with a degree in history and starting graduate school this fall.

Career Stats: Has made 38 of 49 field goals in his career with a long of 56. Converted 174 of 177 extra-points and will go down in school history as one of the top kickers WT has had. He ranks third all-time in school history in scoring at 288 points. Set the school-record for field goals in a season in 2012 with 20 and owns the school record for career field goals with 38. Broke the school record for consecutive PATs in a career with 64 during the 2012 season as he made 69 of 70 for the year. Has the second-longest field goal made in school history at 56 yards against Abilene Christian in 2012.

2012: Ranked tied for ninth nationally in field goals per game at 1.33 this past season. He also finished 35 nationally in scoring at 8.60 points per game. Went 38 of 49 in field goals made with a career-long 56-yarder against Abilene Christian. Went 69of 70 in extra-points, setting the school-record for 64 consecutive extra-points made during the season. Earned first team all-conference honors and earned Daktronics First Team All-America accolades, as well as being a first team Daktronics All-Region selection. Castillo also earned D2Football.com Honorable Mention All-America honors and BSN Sports First Team All-America accolades. He also was a Little All-America First Team honoree.

2011: Castillo became one of the best kickers in the Lone Star Conference during his sophomore campaign for the Buffs in 2011. He connected on 9 of 13 field goals with a long of 44 yards for a percentage of 69.2. Castillo was good on 6-of-7 from 20-29 yards and 2 of 3 from 30-29 yards on the season, he also went 49 of 50 in PAT’s to rank second on the team in scoring with 76 total points. The sophomore also filled in on kickoffs at certain points of the season, kicking off six times for 385 yards and two touchbacks. For his efforts on the field, Castillo was named to the All-Lone Star Conference First Team.

2010: Castillo stepped into a starting role for the Buffs as a redshirt freshman during the 2010 season. The La Joya native went 9 of 13 with a long of 40 yards for a percentage of 69.2 on the season. Castillo was a perfect 5 for 5 from 20-29 yards out and 1 of 1 from 30-39 yards. Castillo also kicked off the ball nine times for 476 yards. The freshman was named a member of the All-Lone Star Conference First Team for his efforts on the field.

La Joya High School: Castillo earned first team all-district honors as a placekicker and was a second team selection as a punter for La Joya (Mission, Texas) HS. He also lettered in baseball and soccer for the Coyotes, while also playing in the band.

Personal: Born Nov. 1, 1990. Mother is Maria Guadalupe Cazares. Castillo graduated with a degree in history and starting graduate school this fall.

Considering where Castillo comes from he should have no problem kicking in wind.

Everyone realizes that most of his kicks were under 40 yards, right? And that his longest was only 41?

Yup but... every one of them went right down the middle.

And I'm still blaming Liram for the loss against Calgary - I bet Castillo nails that 49 yard field goal 90% of the time min. Liram has missed 6 or 7 extra points this year from 32 yards out. Not sure on your point aalgernon but 5 for 5 is 5 for 5 - Liram can't even kick 5 XP's in a row.

That would be the best thing to do. It will be an interesting next few games in the kicking department.

As an aside, I have to wonder if depending on Lirim to do both punting and pk hurt his pk game? He was originally brought here for hid pk not punting maybe it finally caught up with him?

So funny because we said the same things about Lirim last year. Hilarious. Love this fan base.

One game lol. Granted a fantastic one game, but still...ONE GAME. May Mike Kelly's quote of a schizophrenic fan base live in infamy.

Anyone remember Rob Pikula's game with us when Westwood got hurt? What happened after...

Why take anything with a grain of salt lol. Jump in with both feet. Sergio for president/ceo/gm/hc/oc/dc and emporor!

Like I'm not trying to be a rooster (the alternative was understandably censored) contrary to what most people may want to believe. If it so happens Castillo turns out to be our kicker for the next 5-7 years, perhaps longer, fantastic. That being said I'm not going to proclaim him to be a kicking savior off of one game. You can make a very, very long list of athletes, football or otherwise that have had one solid game, or one solid debut, and accomplished a whole lot of nothing afterwards.

Just a general observation, he seems to have quite the routine that he goes through from the moment he steps on the field, to the moment the ball is kicked. Rather interesting I thought.

Yup. Hear ya 100% and agree. Gotta be realistic as many kickers have played lights out for brief periods.

His routine tho is what I think will keep him on point, very old school style of setting up and positioning himself. Other kickers who used to use that technique were often successful because it keeps your mechanics on track imo.

Read somewhere he won an award for best kicker in the country (maybe county lol i sped read it) during one season as well. Country would be quite the feat! (Foot?)

That would be the best thing to do. It will be an interesting next few games in the kicking department.

As an aside, I have to wonder if depending on Lirim to do both punting and pk hurt his pk game? He was originally brought here for hid pk not punting maybe it finally caught up with him?

Rest of the season will probably tell the tale. Im assuming he wasnt a dual purpose kicker before and his mechanics got skewed by that and the new pat. Maybe another off-season of kicking strength and conditioning will right the ship.

I agree, I've thought all along that Lirim had played better when he's only had one dutie to worry about... his place kicking was much better when Renaud was punting last year... this game appeared to be his best punting on the season...

Everyone realizes that most of his kicks were under 40 yards, right? And that his longest was only 41?

Yup but... every one of them went right down the middle.

And I'm still blaming Liram for the loss against Calgary - I bet Castillo nails that 49 yard field goal 90% of the time min. Liram has missed 6 or 7 extra points this year from 32 yards out. Not sure on your point aalgernon but 5 for 5 is 5 for 5 - Liram can't even kick 5 XP's in a row.

My point is just that we shouldn't be proclaiming him our special teams saviour just yet. He had a good game - but we're going to need a larger sample than that to determine how good of a kicker he is in the long run. I'm glad he played well, don't get me wrong... I just think it would be silly to jump the gun on anything. I myself am cautiously optimistic. And yes, it's nice to see a kicker who doesn't seem to have the same mental blockage around PATs that Lirim has.