Lawless on Matt Nichols

gbill2004

From today's Free Press:

Back to the Bombers and backup Matt Nichols. He would be a nice fit as a long-term stablemate for No. 1 QB Drew Willy. Nichols wants to shop around for a starting gig in the CFL. But if the offer gets juiced up a little, he’d sign now and play second fiddle.

pretty sure gbill is not big fan of Willy. one of the "he holds the ball too long" faction, I think.

I don't know how anyone can say if Tate is good or not, the guy rarely plays.

I'd say this is partially true. I am a fan of Willy, he'll be on the next Bomber jersey I buy. But I do think he holds onto the ball too long. I'm also a fan of Nichols, and talent-wise he isn't as good as Willy, but because Nichols is a little more mobile and gets rid of the ball quicker, there isn't much of a drop off in terms of which QB gives us the best chance to win games.

Mike's right about the OC and I'll go a little further and say that the O-line or lack there of is making it more difficult to gauge what we have at QB and yes I include Willy as well. 

But a good OC would also design a offensive system that could minimize some of the short comings we have on the line. 

You guys have watched Matt Nichols now for what  - a month? I've watched him for 6 years (well 4 and a half due to injury). Problem here is people are being swayed a bit by us actually having a backup QB. You should be comparing Matt Nichols to the real incumbents - from Ryan Dinwiddie to Tee Martin to Elliot to Brink to Marve to Brohm. THAT's the glasses people are looking through and subbing Willy's name in there lmao.

Nichols is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> better than ANY bomber QB recruited here over the past 10 years - definitely.

He is NOT better than Willy - there is a clear drop off there for sure. 

He is not more mobile than Willy either. He just plays a different style.

Nichols is definitely a backup QB in this league. A very good backup don't get me wrong, but a backup nevertheless. And I for one hope we do sign him as after twenty plus years I have totally given up on the bombers ever recruiting and developing their own quarterback - just won't happen

A mobile QB also helps make an OL and OC look better.

And we have two mobile QB's but our OC has tied an anchor to them. 

Willy has more than proven that he's mobile.

in one of his last games this season  he was our leading rusher for instance. He put some serious moves on some defenders, made one guy fall down without putting a hand on Drew.

Long time ago it seems, remember when he was annoyed at the idea that he couldn't run, and said he was a state basketball all-star?

pretty sure gbill is not big fan of Willy.    one of the "he holds the ball too long" faction, I think.

I don't know how anyone can say if Tate is good or not, the guy rarely plays.

Bad attitude & injuries killed his career. You don't scream at offensive linemen on the field. You don't get in Jon Cornish's face if he hits the wrong hole when he's the team MVP. You don't scream at John Hufnagel on the sidelines which he did. You don't tell TSN at halftime of a playoff game (as a joke) that you got a head injury & don't remember the first half at all then play the entire second half which started a league investigation & got former head physiotherapist Pat Clayton, the team doctors & Hufnagel in trouble with the league.

Dave Dickenson had to prepare Tate differently than his other qbs for the  games as he was high as a kite beforehand. He had to calm Tate down somehow. He never sat with his teammates or talked to any players or coaches between series preferring to be alone & if anyone came near him including Dickenson he'd snarl at them. i think he's matured & learned his lesson. I think he'd be a lot calmer now than before. The guy has talent but some of the things Tate did just sounded like he was very self centred & as soon as BLM was ready the Stamps coaches made the switch.

From everything I've read, Mitchell is the exact opposite of Tate. The man is cool, calm & collected on the field & on the sidelines. I think the injuries got to Tate thinking if anyone messes up it just means he could be back on the bench again off the field so he took everything to heart too much & let it get to him. 

So the criteria for judging the big drop-off between Willy and Nichols is the incompetent o.c.....Far as I know they are both playing with the same lousy offensive co-ordinator, so that doesn't wash..  Give Matt some time with a better oc as well and his game should also improve...I like the one , two combo....Willy and Nichols if we can swing it...

Why do people always equate "mobile QB" with a QB who runs? 

Mobility, first and foremost, is about extending the play .. awareness .. moving around in the pocket .. and yes, occassionally taking off and running the ball.  Our starting quarterback is a "mobile" quaterback .. he's not some statue in the pocket in the mold of Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers or Danny McManus .. but his ability to move and extend a play with his legs is a vastly under-rated part of his game.  No, he's not the same athlete as a Riley or Collaros but he does get the job done when he's forced to use his legs. 

That said .. if we can lock Nichols up going into next year .. that's not a bad thing .. he's proven he can win games .. is unfraid to push the ball downfield (for good and bad) .. and is a guy who can step in and still provide you with an "effective" offensive leader.   Is he in the same tier as Willy?  No.. but he doesn't need to be.  All he need to be able to do is move the offensive IF his number is called. 

Don't know why we can't. We were willing to go after Muamba & throw a ton of money at him to sign here. He just decided on more tons of money in Montreal (ha, ha) & signed there. I'll take our top 2 qbs over the top 2 Alouettes qbs any day of the week. If Nicholls is allowed to leave during free agency then that's just bad asset management by Walters.

Why do people always equate "mobile QB" with a QB who runs? 

Mobility, first and foremost, is about extending the play .. awareness .. moving around in the pocket .. and yes, occassionally taking off and running the ball.  Our starting quarterback is a "mobile" quaterback .. he's not some statue in the pocket in the mold of Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers or Danny McManus .. but his ability to move and extend a play with his legs is a vastly under-rated part of his game.  No, he's not the same athlete as a Riley or Collaros but he does get the job done when he's forced to use his legs. 

That said .. if we can lock Nichols up going into next year .. that's not a bad thing .. he's proven he can win games .. is unfraid to push the ball downfield (for good and bad) .. and is a guy who can step in and still provide you with an "effective" offensive leader.   Is he in the same tier as Willy?  No.. but he doesn't need to be.  All he need to be able to do is move the offensive IF his number is called. 

Exactly. And we need to give him the team around him to win. We aren't there yet. Nichols can only be as good as the players surrounding him offensively, defensively & ST wise.