Grey Cup Ticket Sales

blueandgoldguy

Heard nothing but positivity from people attending festivals and galas and whatnot.  IGF looked great on TV and heard great things from people who attended.  We might look at it as a disappointment but I think visitors will leave with a good impression.

That's the one thing I really noticed as well .. how good IGF looked on TV last night .. really impressive actually.

Only in Winnipeg could there be a negative spin on the game selling out.

Barely managing to sell out with only 3,000 seats more than permanent capacity, plus having to subtract 5,000 seats from the original expansion plan and Nissan having to buy 2,000 seats, is nothing to be proud of.

BC didn't sell out last year, but at least there were over 50,000 people in attendance, with just under 48,000 paid.

Blah Blah Blah

What's your life like?   I just cant imagine being so negative all the time.  It must be hard on you and your family.  

Wow was that ever a ignorant comment.  Pretty bush of you BFFC

Enjoyed the game last night, enjoyed the half time show, and I hope the Bombers make a pile of cash so everyone will stop complaining. This board is just barely worth coming to anymore with the constant whining.

My Christmas wish is that the Bombers turn things around so that I don't have to feel like I am the only one I know that gives a crap about them anymore.

Only in Winnipeg could there be a negative spin on the game selling out.

Barely managing to sell out with only 3,000 seats more than permanent capacity, plus having to subtract 5,000 seats from the original expansion plan and Nissan having to buy 2,000 seats, is nothing to be proud of.

BC didn't sell out last year, but at least there were over 50,000 people in attendance, with just under 48,000 paid.

Blah Blah Blah

What's your life like? I just cant imagine being so negative all the time. It must be hard on you and your family.

Wow was that ever a ignorant comment. Pretty bush of you BFFC

The real ignorance is Project Legacy cutting down Winnipeg for having 12000 less fans at the GC than BC, considering the population difference. Not just ignorant but plain stupid.

They will make a ton. Attendance down? A bit but not nearly as much as some want you to believe.

Season ticket holder skips game... irrelevant cuz they already paid for the ticket.

Looking at the attendance... throw in the Banjo Bowl where they had a big crowd... bet 26000 or so is the average attendance. Maybe more. They will make money. Lots of money.

Enjoyed the game last night, enjoyed the half time show, and I hope the Bombers make a pile of cash so everyone will stop complaining.

Let's see if they make money this year. Attendance was lower then expected, they spent 4+m on the Cup and they owe couple mil on the Stadium.

Lol! Like there is any doubt. They made a killing.

Let's just pretend math

36000 people x average tix price of 300 bucks = 10 800 000

I'm probably being a bit conservative in my estimates for avg tix price and attendance is a bit more than 36 K. Throw in the festival stuff and yeah.... huge money. Concessions... man they made a ton. Just off ticket sales to the game they made a huge amount.

The real ignorance is Project Legacy cutting down Winnipeg for having 12000 less fans at the GC than BC, considering the population difference. Not just ignorant but plain stupid.

No that wasn't the issue, it was that people were patting themselves on the back for finally selling the game out, Winnipeg had to cut down capacity from 41,000 to 36,000, because they were have big problems selling tickets and Nissan had to buy 2,000 ticket just to get to the 36,000. Look, I'm glad that Grey Cup Weekend was a success and people seemed to be happy with the overall experience, as that's the most important thing, but before comparisons are made to other cities Metro Population, let's see how Hamilton (765k) does once they get a Grey Cup, and BTW Saskatchewan sold out pretty well, of which Regina has about 1/3 the Metro pop of Winnipeg. BC also held 2 Grey Cups in 4 years, so that should also be kept in mind.

No that wasn't the issue, it was that people were patting themselves on the back for finally selling the game out, Winnipeg had to cut down capacity from 41,000 to 36,000, because they were have big problems selling tickets and Nissan had to buy 2,000 ticket just to get to the 36,000. Look, I'm glad that Grey Cup Weekend was a success and people seemed to be happy with the overall experience, as that's the most important thing, but before comparisons are made to other cities Metro Population, let's see how Hamilton (765k) does once they get a Grey Cup, and BTW Saskatchewan sold out pretty well, of which Regina has about 1/3 the Metro pop of Winnipeg. BC also held 2 Grey Cups in 4 years, so that should also be kept in mind.

How many tickets were sold to corporate sponsors in BC? Obviously you have that info in order to make a fair comparison. Waiting on the numbers, thanks.

How many tickets were sold to corporate sponsors in BC? Obviously you have that info in order to make a fair comparison. Waiting on the numbers, thanks.

I don't know, I don't work for the League or Lions. Again as for a truly fair comparison as you say let's see what happens when Hamilton gets the game.

I also find it hilarious that you give BC a pass with flying colours for 'almost' selling out while Winnipeg gets a fail for selling out, but not fast enough.

I wouldn't give BC a pass per se, there was little to no buzz around the Grey Cup last year and they failed to sell out, of which I found disappointing, but again that was their second Grey Cup in 4 years. Winnipeg only "sold out" the game by subtracting 5,000 seats. I love how you seem to ignore that Regina sold out their Grey Cup with only a 1/3 the population of Winnipeg, so similar situation to compare from Winnipeg to Vancouver, no ?

Regina did a great job. Don't see how that diminishes what Winnipeg did. They also have, by far, the most rabid CFL fanbase in the country and there was a very realistic chance, even before the season started, the Riders would be in the Cup.

By the way, your numbers are off. Nissan bought 1000 tickets, not 2000, and seating was reduced by approximately 3500, not 5000.

Being to the last 4 I would rank them.

1. 100th

2. 103rd

3. 101st

4. 102nd

Wish I could have been there.  I went to last year's in BC but didn't really get a chance to participate much in the festivities.  I was at 2011's Cup in Vancouver, that was a blast, and of course it helped that the Bombers were in it, so a lot of Bomber fans were running around the streets and packing the Elephant and Castle.  What really makes these things isn't just the events, its the people AT the events.  It's truly a day (now several days with all of the events) in the year where Canadians from all over the country (and some Yanks too!) can get together and participate in something truly and uniquely Canadian.  Highly recommend people go if they have the chance (and the cash!), and truly sorry I couldn't make it out this year to the event in Winnipeg.

Did anyone get a chance to hang out with the Blue Bastard?  He's hilarious!

It went from 40 plus to 36k cuz the half time act couldn't play on the field. It's not about not being able to sell tickets. It was about the other 5000 or so temp seats were gonna go where fallout boy played. CFL said no that's where the half time act will be... capacity lowered as a result. Too much negativity. Christ. I swear that some of you are just pissed off all the time. What a life that must be. Complain about every Damn thing. A sell out is a sellout... project legacy probably thinks Ottawa and Hamilton selling out their 24000 seat stadiums is a big deal but..36000... nope.

I don't know, I don't work for the League or Lions. Again as for a truly fair comparison as you say let's see what happens when Hamilton gets the game.

I also find it hilarious that you give BC a pass with flying colours for 'almost' selling out while Winnipeg gets a fail for selling out, but not fast enough.

I wouldn't give BC a pass per se, there was little to no buzz around the Grey Cup last year and they failed to sell out, of which I found disappointing, but again that was their second Grey Cup in 4 years. Winnipeg only "sold out" the game by subtracting 5,000 seats. I love how you seem to ignore that Regina sold out their Grey Cup with only a 1/3 the population of Winnipeg, so similar situation to compare from Winnipeg to Vancouver, no ?

You really don't see any other factor that could account for the difference? 

You really don't see any other factor that could account for the difference? 

Well, who was in that Grey Cup again? Hmmm....oh I get it...