Mr Walters: What has Ottawa done that you have not?

BigBlue

Hamilton, read Austin, put themselves in a position where they "say" they're not interested in trading for Glenn, because Austin stated at the start of the year that the team is built on the "next man up" concept, and he has pretty well followed that plan all year. Plus, he has stated that he has complete confidence in his QBs. Now, that concept will be mightily put to the test when you look past Collaros, and see nothing but Jeff Matthews, Jacory Harris and....Jeremiah Masoli.

BC could have kept Glenn and didn't... they have no interest in him...

Austin came out and basically said HELL NO to Glenn...

Glenn, a good backup... but perhaps his starting days have passed him by.

He's basically... good enough to get you there but probably not good enough to win.

You know what you get with Glenn, and what you get is basically when the game is on the line, he folds. 

Ottawa did what needed to be done and not just the bare minimum. Seriously, though Walters has basically already admitted that he doesn't see the whole picture very well. It took a year for him to do something about the OL, he barely did anything about the D line, he didn't bother trying deal with Sear's spot by finding an actual LB, he barely addressed the Canadian talent, didn't bother looking for any more receivers, etc, etc. Never mind some of his current hires in the coaching ranks. I won't even address the whole rebuilding attitude, other than to say that's for losers.

Hamilton, read Austin, put themselves in a position where they "say" they're not interested in trading for Glenn, because Austin stated at the start of the year that the team is built on the "next man up" concept, and he has pretty well followed that plan all year. Plus, he has stated that he has complete confidence in his QBs. Now, that concept will be mightily put to the test when you look past Collaros, and see nothing but Jeff Matthews, Jacory Harris and....Jeremiah Masoli.

I think Austin is making a big mistake by not trading for Glenn as quickly as possible.  With the team strength of the Cats, Glenn gives them a passable opportunity to advance to the Grey Cup if they work him in now rather than later.  It may take a couple of more losses before Austin sees that reality with his current QB's.  Glenn can't carry the team but if he can put enough points up on on the board as he has with Sask. the Ti-Cat D can certainly hold opponents down long enough to win games.

I think Austin is making a big mistake by not trading for Glenn as quickly as possible.  With the team strength of the Cats, Glenn gives them a passable opportunity to advance to the Grey Cup if they work him in now rather than later.  It may take a couple of more losses before Austin sees that reality with his current QB's.  Glenn can't carry the team but if he can put enough points up on on the board as he has with Sask. the Ti-Cat D can certainly hold opponents down long enough to win games.

Why would Sask. deal Glenn? I doubt it would go very far to fixing their issues and it would be a step back on offence (though Smith was progressing fairly well).

Why would Sask. deal Glenn? I doubt it would go very far to fixing their issues and it would be a step back on offence (though Smith was progressing fairly well).

Get something while they can and the more desperate the situation the more they can ask for Glenn.  Without a permanent GM or Coach, Sask. is obviously going into a rebuilding mode and I wouldn't expect that a 37 y.o. QB would be a part of those plans next year, so it's unlikely they will get anything for him if they wait till seasons end.

Okay, but I would think that regardless of what is to come in the off-season they would still like to have someone in there that gives them the best chance to win. I also don't know if Hamilton is that panicked yet. Maybe if he can't get what he needs out of Matthews and whoever he might but that hasn't happened yet.

Ottawa did what needed to be done and not just the bare minimum. Seriously, though Walters has basically already admitted that he doesn't see the whole picture very well (1). It took a year for him to do something about the OL (2), he barely did anything about the D line (3), he didn't bother trying deal with Sear's spot by finding an actual LB (4), he barely addressed the Canadian talent (5), didn't bother looking for any more receivers (6), etc, etc. Never mind some of his current hires in the coaching ranks (7). I won't even address the whole rebuilding attitude, other than to say that's for losers.

There's many things wrong in this post so I thought I would break it down by numbers for readers' convenience...

1) seriously, when did he say that? (maybe he did and I can't recall)

2) hard to revamp an o-line in one season... in the first 6 or so months he brought in 4 Imp tackles, drafted Goossen, and signed a couple UDFA NI players... not sure what else you expect in that short period of time...

3) you're partially correct about this... but signing the best NI DE in the league is a pretty good move... 

4) So you're not happy with the play of Bass at WIL and Randle/Leggett at SAM/DIME?... not sure if you heard of Ian Wild... and how has Sears been in Hamilton this year?... letting Sears walk and replacing him in house has been one Walters' best moves...

5) Do you know how many Canadians currently on the roster were there when Walters took over? 3 - Thomas, Kohlert, Pontbriand... we're certainly not loaded with Canadian superstars but to say he's "barely addressed it" is flat out wrong...

6) he has brought in many receivers... some aren't very good... some might be a result of our crappy system... but to say "he didn't bother to bring in any receivers" is just plain wrong...

7) you finally got one close... MB has been a serious blunder (although assistant coaches are hired by the HC, not the GM...)

Kyle Walters has been no where near perfect (I'm kinda hoping the Guelph thing "works out" for him)... but if you're going to make an argument against him... at least try to make it intelligent...

Okay, but I would think that regardless of what is to come in the off-season they would still like to have someone in there that gives them the best chance to win. I also don't know if Hamilton is that panicked yet. Maybe if he can't get what he needs out of Matthews and whoever he might but that hasn't happened yet.

1-17 or 3-15 does it matter? Hamilton had a potential GC championship team with Collaros. Now, they'll be lucky to win the East Final if they make it that far. They need an experienced qb like Glenn even have a fair chance to win a championship. The Riders are going nowhere with Glenn. 

I think Austin is making a big mistake by not trading for Glenn as quickly as possible. With the team strength of the Cats, Glenn gives them a passable opportunity to advance to the Grey Cup if they work him in now rather than later. It may take a couple of more losses before Austin sees that reality with his current QB's. Glenn can't carry the team but if he can put enough points up on on the board as he has with Sask. the Ti-Cat D can certainly hold opponents down long enough to win games.

Smith was awful and getting exposed the more he played. No ability to pass the ball at all. People really overrate QB's who can break a tackle.

Ottawa did what needed to be done and not just the bare minimum. Seriously, though Walters has basically already admitted that he doesn't see the whole picture very well (1). It took a year for him to do something about the OL (2), he barely did anything about the D line (3), he didn't bother trying deal with Sear's spot by finding an actual LB (4), he barely addressed the Canadian talent (5), didn't bother looking for any more receivers (6), etc, etc. Never mind some of his current hires in the coaching ranks (7). I won't even address the whole rebuilding attitude, other than to say that's for losers.

There's many things wrong in this post so I thought I would break it down by numbers for readers' convenience...

1) seriously, when did he say that? (maybe he did and I can't recall)

2) hard to revamp an o-line in one season... in the first 6 or so months he brought in 4 Imp tackles, drafted Goossen, and signed a couple UDFA NI players... not sure what else you expect in that short period of time...

3) you're partially correct about this... but signing the best NI DE in the league is a pretty good move... 

4) So you're not happy with the play of Bass at WIL and Randle/Leggett at SAM/DIME?... not sure if you heard of Ian Wild... and how has Sears been in Hamilton this year?... letting Sears walk and replacing him in house has been one Walters' best moves...

5) Do you know how many Canadians currently on the roster were there when Walters took over? 3 - Thomas, Kohlert, Pontbriand... we're certainly not loaded with Canadian superstars but to say he's "barely addressed it" is flat out wrong...

6) he has brought in many receivers... some aren't very good... some might be a result of our crappy system... but to say "he didn't bother to bring in any receivers" is just plain wrong...

7) you finally got one close... MB has been a serious blunder (although assistant coaches are hired by the HC, not the GM...)

Kyle Walters has been no where near perfect (I'm kinda hoping the Guelph thing "works out" for him)... but if you're going to make an argument against him... at least try to make it intelligent...

1) In admitting he should have brought in a proven back-up he was admitting he did not see the big picture. Though he did not have much of a look at Marve or Brohm it should have been enough to at least try and shore the postion up.

2) Yes it is hard to revamp o-line in a year but he did have the opportunity in year one to bring a few guys via FA. Nothing major but a couple of guys that could have brought experience to bear (Bare?) Yes he did draft Gossen but it remains to be seen if he is even going to pan out. To be fair no-one since and including Kelly really addressed the issue since 2009. Well, Kelly did blow up a line that was missing maybe two pieces.

3) Westeman was a good signing but did not address that particular empty spot.

4) It isn't a matter of who is playing the spot now it is the fact that with first Randle they moved him from a spot he was damn good at to a position he did not know. I honestly do not think that who has covered for the Randle move has done as good a job. At the time it was weakinging two positions. It worked out but it could have easily backfired.

5) Sure he has filled some roster spots with Canuck talent but for someone touted as some CIS expert the lack of starting or Canucks other fear is disconcerting. Even when Mack was GM Walters was not filling the roster with talented Canucks. It is a matter of me expect far more based partly on what Walters said when he took over the GM role and partly what the press/experts said about him.

6) For a postion that is supposedly a dime a dozen postion the lack of productivity should be disconcerting to most people. Again, as I have said in a few other threads, our receivers are serviceable but not very scary to other teams. Yes the system could take some of the blame but good receivers tend to stand out regardless.

7) I am fine with rebuilding but there should be something to show that it is, in fact happening, I just don't see it. Two years is plenty of time to show progress and in this league it is pretty much expected. (Sure the assistants are chosen by the coach but who chose the coach ;) Two way street.)

Walters has been around for sometime now and it just hasn't been reflected on the field. He was a middling ST Coord, Invisible Assistant GM, and less than effective GM. He tried, he did some good things, but just not enough to improve the team in the way it is needed.

I think Austin is making a big mistake by not trading for Glenn as quickly as possible. With the team strength of the Cats, Glenn gives them a passable opportunity to advance to the Grey Cup if they work him in now rather than later. It may take a couple of more losses before Austin sees that reality with his current QB's. Glenn can't carry the team but if he can put enough points up on on the board as he has with Sask. the Ti-Cat D can certainly hold opponents down long enough to win games.

Smith was awful and getting exposed the more he played. No ability to pass the ball at all. People really overrate QB's who can break a tackle.

Well I saw part of his first game and much of his second and third games and he was progressing. Even TSN guy recognized this. The wheels fell off in Winnipeg but in their other games they were mostly in them offensively. He was certainly doing better than Marve and Brohm.

The TSN guys also push guys like Walker and Grigsby as being these amazing running backs... so for real, i wouldn't really take what the TSN guys say so seriously.

It's almost at the point where if the TSN guys are praising someone, it means that guy isn't very good.

I didn't really hear the TSN guys praising Smith so much, just one and he's a rider prider. 

I don't know if he was progressing or not but i do know that there have been tons of QB's like smith in this league who have come and gone over the years. 

The TSN guys also push guys like Walker and Grigsby as being these amazing running backs... so for real, i wouldn't really take what the TSN guys say so seriously.

It's almost at the point where if the TSN guys are praising someone, it means that guy isn't very good.

I didn't really hear the TSN guys praising Smith so much, just one and he's a rider prider. 

I don't know if he was progressing or not but i do know that there have been tons of QB's like smith in this league who have come and gone over the years.

Smith was probably being hyped by suitor and we all know how he is. Smith is not very good. He is still developing but if he wasnt on an offense that works so well, he would stuggle mightily. Mobility isnt the be all end all in the CFL, you need an arm capable of either deep threat or pinpoint accuracy..

I havent seen either outta Smith.

"Been waitin’ for that one for a while,” says Bass, of his first meeting with the Ottawa REDBLACKS. “They basically just told me I wasn’t good enough. I wasn’t fast enough, I couldn’t move well in space and things like that. For a guy who’s been trying to make it for the past two and a half, three years, that’s not exactly what you want to hear.”  http://www.bluebombers.com/article/syndicated/475019/landry-bass-determination-led-path-to-bombers

TSN picks a storyline, particularly Suitor, and runs it into the ground all broadcast, even if it is complete rubbish. Suitor needs to make some in-game adjustments.

American style sports broadcasting. The game isn't interesting to sell itself they have to find some story to sell, just ridiculous.

Not sure it's American style.  I don't get the same kind of thing on NFL broadcasts.

TSN picks a storyline, particularly Suitor, and runs it into the ground all broadcast, even if it is complete rubbish. Suitor needs to make some in-game adjustments.

American style sports broadcasting. The game isn't interesting to sell itself they have to find some story to sell, just ridiculous.

Not sure it's American style.  I don't get the same kind of thing on NFL broadcasts.

Are you kidding me? The NFL hypes the crap out of any little thing. It's the single biggest reason that I can't watch the NFL despite being a football fan. Maybe it's not one player throughout the course of the game but Americans are obsessed with playing the game on paper and then seeing if the game will follow their script.