Marcel Bellefeuille - When does he get axed

Brandon

I'll simply ask the question to promote some discussion .. is it that we lack talent of that we aren't putting our talent in a position to succeed?

Clearly we have playmakers on this team and clearly we lack high end Canadian talent (won't be fixed overnight) .. so in my mind, it's probably a bit of both .. thoughts?

I think its both. 

The roster is bad. Really, really bad. I don't think a really good offense is even a possibility until we have a decent OL and QB. It will help to have Nichols there but its not like he's great either. Regardless, asking someone to build an offense with Brohm or Marve is equivalent to handing someone keys to a car with a dead battery. We're struggling to find Americans at positions that shouldn't be hard to find good ones - RB, WR, DL to some extent. Kudos to Walters for finding Bass and Adams, but we need more than just a couple of additions a year to turn this team around. For all the praise that Walters gets as some Canadian scouting guru, there are still problems. How bad is Goossen that he can't earn work over Dom Picard? Addison Richards is halfway to a redshirt season. Walters has had some good ideas and even perhaps a good overall plan, but its not coming together. I think AKAChip did a great job elaborating on Walters' problems last week.

The roster is bad but the team is also being hampered by poor decisions, and that's on O'Shea. The only roster changes we seem to make are just due to injury. Hat tip to AKAChip for this line, but when was the last time a player lost his job for poor play? No one is being held accountable. He is loyal, but I fear that he thinks loyalty will somehow improve a player. That over time it'll just all come together. I'm all for patient, but making changes halfway through a season no longer counts as overreacting. Change your roster or expect the same result.

Also, its never a good sign when the part of the team your coach is most experienced with (special teams) absolutely blows. 

I would disagree that the Bombers talent level is bad at RB, WR or DL.  These 3 categories are not even on the radar as being problem areas with this team.  #1 problem coaching.  #2 problem QB.

Honestly, in this thread about firing MB, the common theme revolves around the fact that we may never know what kind of offence we truly do have while Marcel is still employed as OC. Can we comment on the play of such and such, when he has no chance in this offence?

It is, by far, the most high-schoolish offence in the CFL. We truly, could not do worse, if he was gone tomorrow.

I'll simply ask the question to promote some discussion .. is it that we lack talent of that we aren't putting our talent in a position to succeed?

Clearly we have playmakers on this team and clearly we lack high end Canadian talent (won't be fixed overnight) .. so in my mind, it's probably a bit of both .. thoughts?

I think its both. 

The roster is bad. Really, really bad. I don't think a really good offense is even a possibility until we have a decent OL and QB. It will help to have Nichols there but its not like he's great either. Regardless, asking someone to build an offense with Brohm or Marve is equivalent to handing someone keys to a car with a dead battery. We're struggling to find Americans at positions that shouldn't be hard to find good ones - RB, WR, DL to some extent. Kudos to Walters for finding Bass and Adams, but we need more than just a couple of additions a year to turn this team around. For all the praise that Walters gets as some Canadian scouting guru, there are still problems. How bad is Goossen that he can't earn work over Dom Picard? Addison Richards is halfway to a redshirt season. Walters has had some good ideas and even perhaps a good overall plan, but its not coming together. I think AKAChip did a great job elaborating on Walters' problems last week.

The roster is bad but the team is also being hampered by poor decisions, and that's on O'Shea. The only roster changes we seem to make are just due to injury. Hat tip to AKAChip for this line, but when was the last time a player lost his job for poor play? No one is being held accountable. He is loyal, but I fear that he thinks loyalty will somehow improve a player. That over time it'll just all come together. I'm all for patient, but making changes halfway through a season no longer counts as overreacting. Change your roster or expect the same result.

Also, its never a good sign when the part of the team your coach is most experienced with (special teams) absolutely blows. 

I don't think our special teams are that bad.  They need to get a punter and forget the 3 good games Stoudermire had last season.  Cover teams are solid, only problems happen when Hajrullahu puts the ball in the middle of the field, even on a bunch of those miscues they cover those punts well.

Given our current state of affairs, if Willy is anything less than 100%, is there any point to bringing him back before the O-line is a lot better and Bellefeuille's head is on a post in front of IGF?

Sure, if you're Mike O'Shea. 

Listen it's going to take some time, Bellefool got a reprieve by having Drew Willy carry the offense to some decent performances early this year and now that he's hurt Bellefool can hide behind the "well the backups just suck" shield. It won't last forever but it does extend his life here. Just be patient and he will use all that rope he's been given to hang himself. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marcel hang on until the end of the year.  Further to what 17to85 said, by firing our STC I'm thinking that O'Shea won't want to bring more instability to the team right now.  So MB's likely here for a few more games at minimum, and if we happen to win one of those, he's probably here until the end of the season.  Let's just hope that he's gone the week after the season ends so that a search for the next guy can start asap.  Hopefully, they'll look at someone who's a good OC and can also act as an interim HC because I have a feeling that come 2016, that might be a handy guy to have around.  

Keep MB til the end of the year, it's too late to do much anyway. Send him packing November 1st. 

Conventional wisdom suggests Walters gets a chance to gas a HC to save his own ass, so expect MOS to hang around until next August or so. 

While MB is clearly terrible, I think MOS is marginally more effective as a HC as Walters is as GM. But its close. 

Keep MB til the end of the year, it's too late to do much anyway. Send him packing November 1st. 

Conventional wisdom suggests Walters gets a chance to gas a HC to save his own ass, so expect MOS to hang around until next August or so. 

While MB is clearly terrible, I think MOS is marginally more effective as a HC as Walters is as GM. But its close. 

There is a statement that keeping obviously poor coaches (O'Shea and Bellefeuille for starters) makes and that is that there is no committment to winning and no consequence to incompetence. If the quality of our coaching, or lack thereof, is obvious to us, it must be way moreso to the players, and that has to breed disrespect for the organization.

Well, we saw what MB could do with the extra bye week to prepare (Stamps)

We then saw the uber-timid, vanilla gameplan...against the worst D in the league (Riders)

So what else would we need to see here?  Think the players on O are chomping at the bit and full of confidence in the schemes? Think our back and receivers are properly utilzed?

If you are going to talk accountablilty and changing the tempo around here......just get rid of the guy now.....no need to see another half season of total incompetence - beyond the message it sends to the players (and for that matter the fanbase) that total fail is somehow acceptable.....

It's not like you can change the playbook in one week, but still think MB needs to go and i think sooner rather than later, he will  be sent packing. Possibly next week or the week after.

I dunno, but the excuse about Marve and Brohm and it's probably a valid excuse after seeing them play, it won't exist with Nichols this week, Nichols knows CFL D's, he's a 6 year veteran, if he does nothing on O, then i think MB is done this time next week.