The Day Early Game Day Thread - WPG @ SSK

I like JFG.  But as a back up Canadian.  I don't like him starting as an 8th Canadian.  I would prefer to see a better American in that spot.  And if we couldn't find an American better than JFG I just kind of wonder about our off-season recruiting.    

I don't know.  Maybe a harsh assessment but I would have hoped the ratio flexibility created elsewhere would have been used to get more of a weapon in that 5th receiver spot.  

I like JFG.  But as a back up Canadian.  I don't like him starting as an 8th Canadian.  I would prefer to see a better American in that spot.  And if we couldn't find an American better than JFG I just kind of wonder about our off-season recruiting.    

I don't know.  Maybe a harsh assessment but I would have hoped the ratio flexibility created elsewhere would have been used to get more of a weapon in that 5th receiver spot.  

JFG doesn't have to play every snap, and if a NI goes down in game we're not scrambling as we have had to in the past.  This is the ratio flexibility.  I'm sure you'll see Marshall and Veltung out there too.

JFG doesn't have to play every snap, and if a NI goes down in game we're not scrambling as we have had to in the past.  This is the ratio flexibility.  I'm sure you'll see Marshall and Veltung out there too.

What's you read on Veltung? Lot of people doesnt seems to impressed with him espcially on the receivers position.

What's you read on Veltung? Lot of people doesnt seems to impressed with him espcially on the receivers position.

Scared of him handling punts, he really struggled last Friday, can't let balls hit the turf.  Thought he looked like one of the better new receivers in the pre-season games, like a Denmark type, good routes, good hands, good at adjusting to the ball.

It will be pretty disappointing if they can run on the Bombers as they did last year.

That would have some people hopping mad.

Hard for me  to tell what's going on watching on the tube, but I guess we'll find out a bit about Hurl.

Will we see the 2014 Bombers as in the start of the last year? You know, the ones that shocked everybody and move the ball effectively, and defended the ball grudgingly. The team that everybody wanted to see, but were afraid to ask for? The team that played like a real team and gave us cause for elation, and even hope?

Or...same old,same old?

There really is no reason that this team can't go into Regina and come home with a win. Saskatchewan has as many question marks surrounding certain players as we do. If we can get any kind of running game going, we can take the pressure off of Willy and put the pressure on their LBs and secondary.

C'mon MB, give us a good game plan. And of course, let's see some magic from Cotton and Marshall.

- No Dressler

- No Brack

- No Taj

- Messam starting at tailback

- Dan Clark starting at center

- A late round rookie Canadian starting at DT

- Jamel Richardson starting in the slot

... they have more questions than we do personnel wise, for sure.

... and yet on their site they're talking blowout, like usual.

I'm hoping we try and test MacDougall at safety a lot. With the right routes we can get our speedy guys out in space against him in man to man coverage. Guy with not a lot of experience might make him an easier target.

Pretty hard to get the Safety into man coverage... and MacDougall was no slouch in Calgary

If there's a weakness, maybe its Emry...

Good on ST, but has limited experience in a starters role.

Depending on the play you can indeed get the safety into a situation where the receiver is his primary responsibility. Mostly 5 or 6 receiver sets and you have multiple mid to deep routes.

I am not as hopeful coming out of training camp as I was going into it. Most of the players I thought would impress are either gone or on the PR, and some of the weaknesses we had last year are still there or still question marks.

Quarterbacks- same as last year

Running backs- about the same

Receivers- about the same

O-line- vastly improved

D-line- marginally better

Linebackers- a big question mark and a real concern considering Sask's willingnes to run and run effectively

D-backs- about the same

Special Teams- about the same

Coaching- damned well ought to be better

All this said, we still should be able to beat the Riders today, and I can't imagine how devastating a lop-sided loss would be to team confidence.

Rider Depth Chart

m9ol76.jpg

Not that anything Sask does interests me, but I am curious in how they will use Glenn this year behind Durant.

For example, outside of injury, what's the mindset with Durant's play that would tell Chamblin to call Glenn's number?

All Durant has to do is fumble. Seems to work for the RB's

I am not as hopeful coming out of training camp as I was going into it. Most of the players I thought would impress are either gone or on the PR, and some of the weaknesses we had last year are still there or still question marks.

O-line- vastly improved

Linebackers- a big question mark and a real concern considering Sask's willingnes to run and run effectively

D-backs- about the same

All this said, we still should be able to beat the Riders today, and I can't imagine how devastating a lop-sided loss would be to team confidence.

It all depends on how the D plays (typical), because I don't think the changes made to the  offence are enough to slant the field in the Bombers favour.  I expect Chungh to be heavily tested by Chick. 

If they take the same offensive plan from last season into this game, they are basically planning to fail.  Hopefully the running attack can put up 150 yards and establish itself as a dangerous weapon in the Bomber arsenal.

O-line- vastly improved

D-backs- about the same

Less hopeful here too, than I was before TC for the reasons above. Worried about Sask's tailbacks running over us. Hopefully Hall has a solution. Hopefully Willy plays with urgency. Hopefully MOS shows decisiveness as a sophomore coach. We were very close to Sask stats-wise last year in most categories and I think we have improved on the O-line - while Sask has lost some key people. I predict it'll be a close game and that Kevin Glenn, replacing Durant, with throw a last minute pick-6 to someone like Lyn-J and that seals the Bombers victory! First CFL game I ever saw was in 1966 at Taylor Field. Ronny Lancaster was QB for the Riders and Ken Ploen QB for the Bombers. It was an amazing game, although the final score was 11-11. Been hooked on CFL football ever since. Go Bombers!