The Day Early Game Day Thread - WPG @ SSK

I am not as hopeful coming out of training camp as I was going into it. Most of the players I thought would impress are either gone or on the PR, and some of the weaknesses we had last year are still there or still question marks.

Quarterbacks- same as last year

Running backs- about the same

Receivers- about the same

O-line- vastly improved

D-line- marginally better

Linebackers- a big question mark and a real concern considering Sask's willingnes to run and run effectively

D-backs- about the same

Special Teams- about the same

Coaching- damned well ought to be better

All this said, we still should be able to beat the Riders today, and I can't imagine how devastating a lop-sided loss would be to team confidence.

Running backs about the same?  Last year we relied on a guy who couldn't do any of the basics well and our offense was basically one dimensional, leading to our quarterback getting killed because teams didn't have to respect the run at all.  This is a huge difference coming into this season.

We had no boundary wideout last season and relied on Aaron Kelly and Romby Bryant for stretches last season.  Maybe you don't like Darvin Adams, but the receivers are better.  Moving Watson out doesn't have much impact because he basically became a glorified tight end who could barely move around the field.  Feoli-Gudino is probably better at this point.

I expect Chungh to be heavily tested by Chick.

I heard on on of the radio or tv discussions  that Chick had three sacks in their last nine games last season. I thought their defence looked ordinary after Durant got hurt.

If Nick Moore plays regularly, he should make a difference.

good thing the game isn't here. thunder storm is serious

I am not as hopeful coming out of training camp as I was going into it. Most of the players I thought would impress are either gone or on the PR, and some of the weaknesses we had last year are still there or still question marks.

Quarterbacks- same as last year

Running backs- about the same

Receivers- about the same

O-line- vastly improved

D-line- marginally better

Linebackers- a big question mark and a real concern considering Sask's willingnes to run and run effectively

D-backs- about the same

Special Teams- about the same

Coaching- damned well ought to be better

All this said, we still should be able to beat the Riders today, and I can't imagine how devastating a lop-sided loss would be to team confidence.

Running backs about the same?  Last year we relied on a guy who couldn't do any of the basics well and our offense was basically one dimensional, leading to our quarterback getting killed because teams didn't have to respect the run at all.  This is a huge difference coming into this season.

We had no boundary wideout last season and relied on Aaron Kelly and Romby Bryant for stretches last season.  Maybe you don't like Darvin Adams, but the receivers are better.  Moving Watson out doesn't have much impact because he basically became a glorified tight end who could barely move around the field.  Feoli-Gudino is probably better at this point.

The caveat is that we haven't seen any of these newcomers in action yet. Last year, we thought that Moore, Kelly and Grigsby would really spark the offense, so I looked at how the team measured up now VS this point last season.

MB finally has his running game... just went from crap OC to pretty good

Willy looking confident, making smart decisions

Moore, Denmark, Adams looking real sharp

OL went to war... and won

DL needs an airlift fast - before we meet Stamps in week 4

Might as well put Sherman back in, at least he was fast enough to get to QB

Leggett's job is safe

Bucknor holds his own... again... liking it

8 Cdn experiment can end now...

We won and that's all that matters. Gave up a few big plays but got a few of our own too. Proves that you can't win just running the ball. Willy was outstanding. 22 of 25 325 3 tds. Cotton was very good too. Shore up the run D and we will be OK but regardless messam has big games against us and Allen is very good too.

MB finally has his running game... just went from crap OC to pretty good

Willy looking confident, making smart decisions

Moore, Denmark, Adams looking real sharp

OL went to war... and won

DL needs an airlift fast - before we meet Stamps in week 4

Might as well put Sherman back in, at least he was fast enough to get to QB

Leggett's job is safe

Bucknor holds his own... again... liking it

8 Cdn experiment can end now...

Defence is definitely a work in progress but they got the stop in crunch time so at least a positive to be had, that and the W.