The Day Early Game Day Thread - WPG @ SSK

Great game - unlike last year's home opener against a brand new team who had no idea what they were doing, this win was much more impressive. Not going to start getting to excited until Labour Day though - not falling into that 5 - 1 trap like last year. Not being a pessimist here - just cautious. By far the best game this week - though I missed the Hamilton / Calgary game, Mtrl / Ott and Edm / Tor were total bush league. Embarrassing football games

Great game - unlike last year's home opener against a brand new team who had no idea what they were doing, this win was much more impressive. Not going to start getting to excited until Labour Day though - not falling into that 5 - 1 trap like last year. Not being a pessimist here - just cautious. By far the best game this week - though I missed the Hamilton / Calgary game, Mtrl / Ott and Edm / Tor were total bush league. Embarrassing football games

The Argos?

Ok can someone explain why that kickoff taken into the endzone wasn't a safety?

Demski caught it on the one, stepped into the end zone, then went out the side...? Shouldn't that mean 2 points and bomber ball???

I actually agree. Thought it was a safety too

It's been a couple of years since teams have moved the ball up and down the field so prolifically.  I don't like the "hands off receivers" rules but the league has probably accomplished what they set out to with the new rule changes.

I know it's early but there's lots to like so far on this team. 

1.) The Return of Thunder and Lightening:

Man Cotton is a shifty back. The most Charles Roberts like since ... well, Charles Roberts. Marshall is a bruiser and looks very hard to bring down. Three plays stand out to me: He powered through the right side like butter for his first score. The reception and bruising entrance into the endzone for his second TD, and that final run where the Riders were desperately trying to strip the ball. This is the kind of power back we've needed for some time. I also love the screens and other passes to the RB's. Makes Willy's life much easier.

2.) The O-line:

After a shakey start and a sack on Willy the line dominated one of the best if not the best d lines in the CFL for 3 and a half quarters. We moved the ball up and down the field at will and only had to punt a few times. Willy is going to have pretty gaudy, like 5000 yard gaudy stats at seasons end if this continues and he can stay healthy. 

3.) ST:

Number one and number two return guy go down with injuries, no prob, we've got number 19. Veltung was dynamite and actually looked pretty good at receiver too. Looks like we're stacked at the returner position and it's a nice prob to have. #70 was pretty good tonight except for his insistence on angling the kickoffs into the coffin corner a few extra times giving the Riders good field position. I'll forgive him because his kickoffs were pretty long and he didn't miss a FG or convert. 

4.) Coaching:

Looks like MOS is getting through to the team as they started off with some boneheaded mistakes but didn't take any penalties in the latter part of the game when it really counted. I also credit them for making good personnel choices, they put together a good combo of players on the field that gave us the best chance to match up with the Riders it appears.

Not too impressed with the D yet but I think we'll look a bit better when Leggett gets back and they adjust to Hall's system. Some rookies on there so it's to be expected against vet QB's like the Riders employ. #20 had a nice int and there were some good knockdowns at critical times. Meh, it's a work in progress. Maybe we'll just have to outscore the opposition for now  ;) All and all though very satisfying to get that Rider monkey off our backs, and it's especially satisfying to be right on Moore for my Lock Of The Week  :lol:

I know it's early but there's lots to like so far on this team. 

1.) The Return of Thunder and Lightening:

Man Cotton is a shifty back. The most Charles Roberts like since ... well, Charles Roberts. Marshall is a bruiser and looks very hard to bring down. Three plays stand out to me: He powered through the right side like butter for his first score. The reception and bruising entrance into the endzone for his second TD, and that final run where the Riders were desperately trying to strip the ball. This is the kind of power back we've needed for some time. I also love the screens and other passes to the RB's. Makes Willy's life much easier.

2.) The O-line:

After a shakey start and a sack on Willy the line dominated one of the best if not the best d lines in the CFL for 3 and a half quarters. We moved the ball up and down the field at will and only had to punt a few times. Willy is going to have pretty gaudy, like 5000 yard gaudy stats at seasons end if this continues and he can stay healthy. 

3.) ST:

Number one and number two return guy go down with injuries, no prob, we've got number 19. Veltung was dynamite and actually looked pretty good at receiver too. Looks like we're stacked at the returner position and it's a nice prob to have. #70 was pretty good tonight except for his insistence on angling the kickoffs into the coffin corner a few extra times giving the Riders good field position. I'll forgive him because his kickoffs were pretty long and he didn't miss a FG or convert. 

4.) Coaching:

Looks like MOS is getting through to the team as they started off with some boneheaded mistakes but didn't take any penalties in the latter part of the game when it really counted. I also credit them for making good personnel choices, they put together a good combo of players on the field that gave us the best chance to match up with the Riders it appears.

Not too impressed with the D yet but I think we'll look a bit better when Leggett gets back and they adjust to Hall's system. Some rookies on there so it's to be expected against vet QB's like the Riders employ. #20 had a nice int and there were some good knockdowns at critical times. Meh, it's a work in progress. Maybe we'll just have to outscore the opposition for now  ;) All and all though very satisfying to get that Rider monkey off our backs, and it's especially satisfying to be right on Moore for my Lock Of The Week  :lol:

#20 is Johnny Adams, you're excused this one time only.

Wonder if we won't see something like this by week 4...

Randle-Adams-Leggett-Johnson-Bucknor

Washington-Bass-Burnett

Fraser-Thomas-Turner-Westerman

I mean I want to cheer for Peach but he was getting tossed around by Fulton; maybe Anderson needs a few games to get up to speed...

Don't need more games to say that Hurl is not a starting MLB... maybe WIL -  but our ratio is good