It's time for the Riders to start sucking ...

IC Khari

Whats the sudden man-love for Lapo as an HC ? He had one shot at it and looked way in over his head. What's changed ?

Not it love with LaPo, but always thought he took a lot more heat than deserved for the Bombers' failures. He inherited an absolute mess from Mike Kelly, who ran both Doug Berry and Brendan Taman out of town and then dismantled the team and its reputation with his antics. Has a tough first year with a record number of close losses, and has the wherewithal to recognize his biggest failing as a coach, which is self-admitted micromanagement. Improves in that area next year, and really thanks to the fact that Buck Pierce actually stayed healthy gets to the Grey Cup. Then is forced to start 4 in a row on the road and loses his QB again, and is starting to claw back at 2-6 when he gets blind-sided by Mack. Everyone who blamed LaPo rejoices for about a week until the next game, when 52-0 in Saskatchewan highlights that the problem wasn't the coach, it was his boss and how the team was (so very poorly) built. But too many on the boards had invested their credibility in praising mighty Joe in the wake of Mike Kelly's poor showing, so they bought into the "LaPo as incompetent" theory and began repeating it ad nauseum to deflect from their misguided assessment of Joe Mack's uselessness.

I liked Lapo but man was he a chicken-****. I still remember the Lions game that got him fired. I was sitting a few rows behind the Bomber bench. Elliott kept coming off the field and slamming his helmet down because he was frustrated at the play calling as Lapo kept calling draw plays on second down in the red zone to ensure that we got a field goal, instead of going for the TD. And we lost by one point. No killer instinct.

His pregame speeches put half the team to sleep as well.  Probably why we were such brutally slow starters.

If I'm Lapo is keep the TSN gig. He could do that for several years. Coaching the Riders, he'll be fired in a couple years and no guarantee the TSN gig will still be there for him when that happens. He makes good coin working 2-3 days a week, for half a year with TSN.

I'm not arguing with you personally because I keep reading this same sentiment from many different sites, honest question-how much does he make at TSN?

I don't know for sure, but I've heard rumors it's in the $100-150k range per year. 

That number seems really high for his salary. Regardless Lapo did not inspire when he coached.

I don't see what he brings to the table that would improve the Riders..

Shhhhh ... he doesn't bring anything, that's what we want ;)

Imagine if the Riders offense began to stall and was as bad as ours back in those days?

Lapo would be reunited with some of his former players like Getzlaff, Bagg, Durant & Dressler. He'd have more talent to work with than he did in Winnipeg so maybe he'd do okay. 

Can't really agree with that. The talent level in Saskatchewan is REALLY low right now.

Riders have pretty much the number one offence in the league in most categories, can you explain how the talent level is low?

Lapo would be reunited with some of his former players like Getzlaff, Bagg, Durant & Dressler. He'd have more talent to work with than he did in Winnipeg so maybe he'd do okay. 

Can't really agree with that. The talent level in Saskatchewan is REALLY low right now.

Riders have pretty much the number one offence in the league in most categories, can you explain how the talent level is low?

There are 44 active members on game day. Offence is only 12 of them. Your defence is an abomination, and your STs and depth are not far behind. Hence...the talent level is low. I will agree that your starting talent on offence seems to be clicking right now, and I will even go so far as to say your defence has some talent as well but has way too many guys who are not CFL calibre being forced in due to ratio and poor recruitment. Too many scrubs to overcome.However, I earnestly believe that the D talent does not fit the scheme and that your secondary is poorly suited to the changes in the game. The Riders were a very physical secondary over the past few years and were built to be so, it just doesn't fit with the new rules. It's happening in other places too. Players that were once all star calibre secondary players but relied on physicality to do so are now being exposed. Unfortunately for the Riders...that's your entire secondary in a nutshell.

Your LBs are some weak sauce, with or without Emry, and your ratio problems are forcing you to play scrubs on the DL that are creating zero push and not collapsing the pocket for Chick and Hall.

Chamblin seems to be taking big time heat for this defence, and it does fall on him to find answers, but realistically Taman never put a defensive group of players on the field that is good enough.

I will freely admit that your offence is playing lights out right now. It's the only reason the RIders haven't been getting completely blown out thus far. There are some deep systemic problems that are rearing there ugly heads right now, right from the GMs office on down, and the offence has been the lipstick on the pig. This gets worse before it gets better. I know...I watched this movie over and over again through the 2000's.

Not to worry though, I am sure O'Day and Lapo will do their best to start a rebuild next year.

There are 44 active members on game day. Offence is only 12 of them. Your defence is an abomination, and your STs and depth are not far behind. Hence...the talent level is low. I will agree that your starting talent on offence seems to be clicking right now, and I will even go so far as to say your defence has some talent as well but has way too many guys who are not CFL calibre being forced in due to ratio and poor recruitment. Too many scrubs to overcome.However, I earnestly believe that the D talent does not fit the scheme and that your secondary is poorly suited to the changes in the game. The Riders were a very physical secondary over the past few years and were built to be so, it just doesn't fit with the new rules. It's happening in other places too. Players that were once all star calibre secondary players but relied on physicality to do so are now being exposed. Unfortunately for the Riders...that's your entire secondary in a nutshell.

Your LBs are some weak sauce, with or without Emry, and your ratio problems are forcing you to play scrubs on the DL that are creating zero push and not collapsing the pocket for Chick and Hall.

Chamblin seems to be taking big time heat for this defence, and it does fall on him to find answers, but realistically Taman never put a defensive group of players on the field that is good enough.

I will freely admit that your offence is playing lights out right now. It's the only reason the RIders haven't been getting completely blown out thus far. There are some deep systemic problems that are rearing there ugly heads right now, right from the GMs office on down, and the offence has been the lipstick on the pig. This gets worse before it gets better. I know...I watched this movie over and over again through the 2000's.

Not to worry though, I am sure O'Day and Lapo will do their best to start a rebuild next year.

....that and a horrendous number of injuries to starters.

I like Lapo personally (though I dont know him personally) and thought he was in tough here as a first time HC working under Mack.  I think he deserves another shot.  The decision to leave TSN probably comes down to a guy who loves football and wants to coach.  More power to him if he's willing to jump back in the fire out of love and passion for the game.

I generally like the Riders in the sense I like SK but love to see the Riders lose.  I love that they are building a palace to play in and I hope the team never is at risk of folding and I have friends in SK that are cool.  I like having the Riders around the cheer against.  Its a "love to hate" feeling.  So I'd be intrigued to see Lapo there.

Just wondering if the riders might have been involved in Smith's bail application. I remember reading something to that effect. That could explain the weird way the deletion from the team was handled.  As for Rod he probably goes to sleep with a melon on his head and as the melon dries up it squeezes his head and scrambles his brain. His grey matter is green.

Glenn has been lights out for four games now. It's about time he gives us a glimpse of his dark side - The reason he never quite made it as a number 1. 

For the record, Not sure if I'm in favor of Lapo or not, but I'm willing to certainly consider him as a good option. Some of you may disagree but also think the Bombers firing Lapolice was a mistake that set u guys back a few years.

There isn't anything in your post that isn't a fair statement and I generally agree. The just of my post mostly referred to Lapo being an offensive guy and our offense is pretty solid, although I imagine they will cool off a bit. At the end of the day Chamblin's biggest mistake is he refuses to adapt to the news rules and he is too stubborn to admit he can't run a effective defence, both will see him gone either during the season or at season's end. Lapolice for example only would simply hire a DC and let him run things, it seems simple but obviously it isn't because Chamblin won't do it. Just my personal opinion but I always like the head coach to be a offense guy and leave the defence/ special teams to the coordinators, things seem to work better that way and there is less meddling by the HC. The way Oshea defended Kuale last year indicates he was meddling a bit in him playing when clearly he was brutal and should have been gone. Jones clearly meddles in the EDM defence, which is fine as long as it works, which it does as they have been very good.

If I'm Lapo is keep the TSN gig. He could do that for several years. Coaching the Riders, he'll be fired in a couple years and no guarantee the TSN gig will still be there for him when that happens. He makes good coin working 2-3 days a week, for half a year with TSN.

You are right, he'd be smart to stay there. We will end up hating him and run him out of town at some point, but oh well that's the nature of coaching. Happens in every city. Its not exclusive to Saskatchewan. Coaches want to coach, its what they do, its what they sign up for. How's this season play out for O'shea if you guys tank and miss the playoffs? Hosting the cup and all, fans will want him gone plain and simple.

There isn't anything in your post that isn't a fair statement and I generally agree. The just of my post mostly referred to Lapo being an offensive guy and our offense is pretty solid, although I imagine they will cool off a bit. At the end of the day Chamblin's biggest mistake is he refuses to adapt to the news rules and he is too stubborn to admit he can't run a effective defence, both will see him gone either during the season or at season's end. Lapolice for example only would simply hire a DC and let him run things, it seems simple but obviously it isn't because Chamblin won't do it. Just my personal opinion but I always like the head coach to be a offense guy and leave the defence/ special teams to the coordinators, things seem to work better that way and there is less meddling by the HC. The way Oshea defended Kuale last year indicates he was meddling a bit in him playing when clearly he was brutal and should have been gone. Jones clearly meddles in the EDM defence, which is fine as long as it works, which it does as they have been very good.

I think it more indicated that O'Shea will not throw his players under the bus publicly... unlike a certain coach you are familiar with... 

but I get the frustration... it is a bit of an insult to fans to back a player that everyone can see is incompetent...

Jones clearly meddles in the EDM defence, which is fine as long as it works, which it does as they have been very good.

Meddles? Jones is also the DC of the Esks.

You know what I mean. Like I said at least it works and secondly Jones doesn't feel the need to hire a meat shield either like CC did with Quick.

I think it more indicated that O'Shea will not throw his players under the bus publicly... unlike a certain coach you are familiar with... 

but I get the frustration... it is a bit of an insult to fans to back a player that everyone can see is incompetent...

I like O'Shea and supported the hiring of him. I read the posts on here, fans wanted Kuale gone, it appeared to me that O'Shea was his only lifeline. The HC could easily have made the decision to sit him at any time but it never happened.  As far as the fans, we don't always know as much as we think we do, but we aren't friggin blind either. CC having a stand off here and there with Ridernation is adding fuel to the fire and sealing his fate here. Can't please the fans for sure but don't insult their intelligence either.