CFL Supplemental Draft

Leggett is so good (in contention for best in the league) at safety that I would prefer to see Waggoner at WIL. I think he can fit in well there, considering it's become more of a DB spot, and I don't want to move Leggett away from the back of this defense. He's got a solid coverage range that we've lacked for awhile.

Thing is that guys don't have to play the same position every snap either.  Hall has a pretty long history of interchanging his safety and two outside LB's, think Butler and Brackenridge.

Leggett is so good (in contention for best in the league) at safety that I would prefer to see Waggoner at WIL. I think he can fit in well there, considering it's become more of a DB spot, and I don't want to move Leggett away from the back of this defense. He's got a solid coverage range that we've lacked for awhile.

As I recall Leggett stole the safety job from Sears last year due to his "football intelligence" which ultimately helped the entire D backfield in pass defence.   I don't believe he is as heavy a hitter as Sears so I can't see him moving up to LB either. 

Waggoner will have a steep learning curve to overcome adapting to the CFL so I expect he may remain backup behind Hurl for the first half of the season at least.  I'm hoping Sherman isn't the odd man out in this equation as I appreciated his contribution last year and hope he continues to develop his skills in a Bomber uniform.

we'll be picking 9th anyway so it's not that big a deal... ;)

But seriously, wow...

The Bombers only pick 9th if they are the last place team.  You give up the first round, 2nd round continues with same order.  The 2nd round pick can range from 9th to 17th.

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

has a club added so much Canadian talent in one offseason in recent memory?

Saskatchewan when Labette and Picard signed, picked Sam Hurl and Ben Heenan,  traded for Xavier Fulton and Chris Patrick, found Kory Sheets, and traded for Odell Willis.

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

An aging olineman, a mediocre lb, one legit ni talent and three draft picks? I'm sure nearly every year every team does the same.
please give us an example
Remember when the Riders signed Picard and Labatte when both in their prime?

Are you suggesting that no team has signed 3 ni in a season before?

Also for the draft picks remember how great Poblah turned out to be? I wouldn't be bragging about the guys we added just yet.

I'd agree it's too soon to tell how the signings will pay off.  But Walters has brought in more Canadians then any GM in recent history for the Bombers.  To that I say well done Kyle!  Of course he wouldn't have to bring in all these Canadians if the last two clowns had a hot clue on how to properly draft and retain Canadians....

Agree.  Remember the Poblah.

The Bombers only pick 9th if they are the last place team.  You give up the first round, 2nd round continues with same order.  The 2nd round pick can range from 9th to 17th.

I was going off the assumption that:

1. The Bombers kick ass this year without Waggoner

2. They are first in the league, win the Cup, and therefore, end up with the final draft pick in Round one, which given there are 9 teams now, would be 9th overall in the first round

So given those parameters, its not a big deal that we gave up our first pick as it would have been 9th overall anyway.  The bigger issue though was that it was a joke, and not to be taken seriously.

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

With 3 being legit chances to start? I really don't believe so... Solely from a rebuild the canadian content angle, Walters made one helluva splash this offseason..

Would the Bombers potentially look at giving Waggoner reps at safety and moving Leggett to SAM?

Never even considered that.. And it's really a solid idea with the pile of safety prospects we have right now.. Morgan and Wagoneer look like they hit hard enough and cover well..

But seriously, wow...

The Bombers only pick 9th if they are the last place team. You give up the first round, 2nd round continues with same order. The 2nd round pick can range from 9th to 17th.

You pick 9th if you win the Grey Cup. First round is 1-9 because it's, ya know, a 9 team league.

But seriously, wow...

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

Saskatchewan when Labette and Picard signed, picked Sam Hurl and Ben Heenan,  traded for Xavier Fulton and Chris Patrick, found Kory Sheets, and traded for Odell Willis.

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

An aging olineman, a mediocre lb, one legit ni talent and three draft picks? I'm sure nearly every year every team does the same.
please give us an example
Remember when the Riders signed Picard and Labatte when both in their prime?

Are you suggesting that no team has signed 3 ni in a season before?

Also for the draft picks remember how great Poblah turned out to be? I wouldn't be bragging about the guys we added just yet.

I'd agree it's too soon to tell how the signings will pay off.  But Walters has brought in more Canadians then any GM in recent history for the Bombers.  To that I say well done Kyle!  Of course he wouldn't have to bring in all these Canadians if the last two clowns had a hot clue on how to properly draft and retain Canadians....

Agree.  Remember the Poblah.

Remember Esks got Laurant in the supplement draft can get a outstanding player.

An interview with Waggoner prior to NFL draft:

C2P - What is your best quality at your position?

GW - I think my blend of size and athleticism helps me do something's others at my position cannot. With my size and strength I can walk down and play in the box. I feel like I match up well against Tight Ends in both the run and pass game, and with the progressively bigger, more athletic Tight End trend I can be an asset in these matchups. Aside from being able to be a force in the run I can match up downfield in man-to-man coverage with speed receivers as it is something I have done my entire career.

C2P - What offense/defense did you play mostly in college?

GW - The system I played in during college was multi-faceted in its scheme, so I have experience playing multiple roles, depending on our package. In our Cover 1/3 scheme, I would play the lone high Free Safety. In a two high safety shell, I would take over the Strong Safety role. And finally I have walked down and played a hybrid, Safety/Outside Backer role when facing more traditional Pro-I teams. Overall, however, I would call our defense a 4-2-5 with the Nickel serving an Outside Backer role. With the athleticism on the perimeter and throwing tendencies of the NFL increasing, I believe my experience in this system will be an asset for me going forward.

C2P - What part of your game goes most unnoticed or what abilities are in you that haven’t been revealed yet?

GW - I think my athleticism that accompanies my football IQ is something that has surprised a lot of scouts throughout the Regional Combine and Pro Day process. Despite coming from a smaller school, I have the numbers that stack up very well with any of the big time prospects around the country.

C2P - What will be your biggest adjustment moving forward?

GW- Definitely one of the biggest changes will be playing in front of more people in the stadium and on a bigger stage in terms of a national audience, definitely a change I am excited to see.

C2P - What pro player would you remind us most of with your style of play?

GW - I really like how Kam Chancellor plays the game after seeing a lot of him this past postseason. His physicality sets the tone for the defense as well as the entire team and is a huge asset to their on-field success. His football skill set allows for that defense to have many personalities dependent on the situation and makes it difficult for the opposing offense to gameplan against him.

C2P - How many positions can you play or have played?

GW - Strong Safety, Free Safety, Outside Linebacker, all special teams.

C2P - Any all-star invites and if yes have you accepted the invite?

GW - I had a few coming out after my true Senior year, but decided to forego them in hopes of being approved for a Fifth Year in the Ivy League.

C2P – The system you played in college. Is there an NFL team that comes to mind that resembles in the most?

GW - The 4-2-5 scheme we ran at Dartmouth is definitely a direction the NFL seems to be trending towards on all teams. With the emergence of the more athletic, receiver-type Tight Ends, teams are answering with another Defensive Back on the field. I believe that my experience in this system will be an asset going forward in my NFL career.

C2P - What makes you unique to another player at the same position?

GW - My blend of size/strength along with my speed/agility is something that makes me unique as a Safety. I can do things that other safeties cannot in terms of playing multiple roles depending on offensive personnel, gameplan, etc. putting my team in the best position for success on the field.

C2P – What is your most memorable play in your college career?

GW - In our final game this past season we were up by four against Princeton (who was previously unbeaten in league play and eyeing a perfect season), late in the game, in a driving blizzard that started in the beginning of the 4th quarter I intercepted a deep post with under a minute left to finish the game. Catching an interception on my last collegiate career in pouring snow was pretty surreal.

C2P - What other schools showed interest in your leaving high school?

GW - Coming out of high school, I was pretty heavily recruited by most of the Ivies and some of the other high academic D-1 programs. I took visits to Dartmouth and Cornell and fell in love with the Dartmouth campus. I received a late offer at Duke about a month after I had decided on Dartmouth but wanted to stay true to my commitment and headed up to Hanover in the Fall of 2009.

C2P - If you are small school prospect. Why do you feel you slipped through the cracks coming out of high school?

GW - I was definitely undersized and not nearly as developed, both as an athlete and football player, coming out of high school. As sort of a “late bloomer” I guess you could say, I really made progress going into my Junior year of college and have been able to blend the football IQ and instincts I developed over the years playing football with my newly developed athletic skill set and have been blessed to have emerged as an NFL prospect.

For NFL Scouts

C2P - Have you ever been arrested or have a criminal record?

GW - No

C2P - Where you a team captain in college?

GW - Yes, for 2 seasons, 2012 and 2013.

C2P - Are you married, engaged or single?

GW - Single

C2P - Have you ever belonged to a gang?

GW - No

C2P - How many games did you miss due to injury (College)?

GW - Redshirted my true Junior season.

C2P – How many concussions have you had or known of?

GW - None

C2P - How many games did you start?

GW - 37 starts out of 42 total games.

C2P – What’s your 40 time, vertical jump, and short shuttle?

GW - 4.51/40, 43”/Vert, 4.1/Shuttle

C2P – When is your Pro Day and where?

It was March 28th at Dartmouth College

C2P – Pro Day results if you have already performed the drills?

GW - Pro Day/Regional Combine: 4.51/40, 25 reps at 225, 43”/Vert, 10’3”/Broad, 4.1/Shuttle

And scouting report:

Will impress with this athleticism. Strong, aggressive hitter and outstanding hitter. Will face up and strike. Makes key plays. Definitely shows up in run support. Team leader and tempo setter. Good all around athlete with good size. As big as some weak-side linebackers. Very, very aggressive. Has better range versus the run than the pass. Catch-up ability in coverage remains to be seen. Athletic, feisty and productive player who should not be overlooked. Tenacity and ability to advance. Promising developmental player at safety.

If the end game is to see if ww can bulk him up to be a WIL or better yet MAC then i will be astounded with how well this offseason and draft went.. if he ends up SAM, CB or safety i will still be pleased as punch. regardless, optimism is very high that we will finally not NEED to raid another teams cuts for depth..

This player transaction could define Walters the way the Kito Poblah transaction defined Sleepy Joe Mack's regime. Mack brought in some good players but Poblah was a complete and utter bust. If Waggoner turns out to be as good as we hope, Walters will be venerated for decades. If Waggoner does not pan out, people will quickly forget all the good moves.

This player transaction could define Walters the way the Kito Poblah transaction defined Sleepy Joe Mack's regime. Mack brought in some good players but Poblah was a complete and utter bust. If Waggoner turns out to be as good as we hope, Walters will be venerated for decades. If Waggoner does not pan out, people will quickly forget all the good moves.

I think you're overestimating both. Kito didn't "define" Joe Mack, and Waggoner won't "define" Walters. Mack was a terrible GM who made a lot of bad decisions, but was a good scout. The verdict is still out on Walters but so far I love what I see. Even if he strikes out on Waggoner, Walters can still be a success. The fact that 3-4 other CFL GMs put in a first round bid on Waggoner makes me comfortable with the move no matter how it turns out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339027/article/tampa-regional-combine-smallschool-star-has-nfl-dream

Garrett Waggoner appeared, at least on the surface, to be among the most impressive prospects in attendance Saturday. At 6-foot-1, 225 pounds, Waggoner showed some skills that would have been competitive at the invitational NFL Combine in Indianapolis. He posted a 43-inch vertical and a 4.1 second shuttle run.

That vertical would have set him among the best of the best for safeties at the main Combine in Indianapolis. Waggoner, a first-team All-Ivy League player for Dartmouth last season, certainly seemed to do enough to earn an advancement to the Super Combine on April 12-13 in Detroit.

If the end game is to see if ww can bulk him up to be a WIL or better yet MAC then i will be astounded with how well this offseason and draft went.. if he ends up SAM, CB or safety i will still be pleased as punch. regardless, optimism is very high that we will finally not NEED to raid another teams cuts for depth..

But if James Green comes available, y'know, tradition is tradition...

Yup was posted earlier by someone, This is pretty crazy actually, at least 2 other teams bid a first round pick in 2016 for Waggoner.. Tells me the kid has some skills. Like this move by Walters lots actually.

Our Canadian depth has improved vastly since Walters took over, it's really crazy to think where we were under Joe Mack even Canadian depth wise to now... Night and Day for real. 

Also don't forget about the dark Mike Kelly year....  ugh completely destroyed our team...

That was many years ago now, Kelly might have done some damage to the team but... Mack had a chance to fix it and didn't. Kelly had 1 year, Mack had what? 3.. this is walters what? 2nd? And for as much heat as this may get, I think Mike Kelly was quite misunderstood, yup he told it like it was, fans and media didn't like that but... reality is, if he was given 3 years like Mack was, my guess, the team is better off now than it was under Mack canadian depth wise at least...

Can talk about Mike Kelly messing up all you want but his main man was John Murphy who is now in Calgary with Huff, Murphy knows his stuff, the 'database' was legit, just never got more than a year to see what it could do. 

Not sure how Mike Kelly would ever have got that done when he traded our draft picks away like they were Skittles on Halloween. Kelly was not misunderstood...he was terrible. Suggesting anything else is revisionist history. Take a look at the draft picks he traded away in his one year and tell me with a straight face that our NI talent would have been better with him.