CFL Supplemental Draft

His play drew the attention of the B.C. Lions, who put him on their negotiation list – a method by which CFL teams commonly lock down American players. He was getting ready to sign his first contract with the team last month when his mom received a message from TSN’s Duane Forde.

“I remember I was sitting on the couch and my mom said, ‘Garrett this CFL analyst just Tweeted me and said to follow him and ‘DM’ him. What’s a DM and how do I follow him?’” Waggoner said. “That was funny.”

Forde, who does colour commentary for CFL games and is the broadcaster’s resident draft expert, had been talking to a scout about Waggoner.

“He mentioned how much he liked this kid and that he was Hal Waggoner’s grandson. I recognized the grandfather’s name just from being around the CFL,” Forde said.

It also got Forde thinking: could Waggoner possibly qualify as a national player, something that would dramatically increase his value to teams around the league?

Though Waggoner was born in the United States, he’s entitled to Canadian citizenship because his father Scott was born here, a practice commonly known as citizenship by first generation descent. In addition, the CFL changed its rules last year to consider any player with Canadian citizenship as a national.

So Waggoner showed his mom how to direct message Forde. Then he called his agent, Fred Weinrauch.

“I told him, ‘Duane Forde said I might be able to qualify for national status, does this mean anything?’” And he said, ‘Definitely, let’s look into it,’” Waggoner said.

Sounds like Kyle owes Duane Forde a doughnut.  Also - how pissed off is Wally right now?  He had this kid in the bag and Forde totally screwed it up for him.

serves Buono right for Westermaning us, and making us deal with Tyson Pencer for all those years!

His play drew the attention of the B.C. Lions, who put him on their negotiation list – a method by which CFL teams commonly lock down American players. He was getting ready to sign his first contract with the team last month when his mom received a message from TSN’s Duane Forde.

“I remember I was sitting on the couch and my mom said, ‘Garrett this CFL analyst just Tweeted me and said to follow him and ‘DM’ him. What’s a DM and how do I follow him?’” Waggoner said. “That was funny.”

Forde, who does colour commentary for CFL games and is the broadcaster’s resident draft expert, had been talking to a scout about Waggoner.

“He mentioned how much he liked this kid and that he was Hal Waggoner’s grandson. I recognized the grandfather’s name just from being around the CFL,” Forde said.

It also got Forde thinking: could Waggoner possibly qualify as a national player, something that would dramatically increase his value to teams around the league?

Though Waggoner was born in the United States, he’s entitled to Canadian citizenship because his father Scott was born here, a practice commonly known as citizenship by first generation descent. In addition, the CFL changed its rules last year to consider any player with Canadian citizenship as a national.

So Waggoner showed his mom how to direct message Forde. Then he called his agent, Fred Weinrauch.

“I told him, ‘Duane Forde said I might be able to qualify for national status, does this mean anything?’” And he said, ‘Definitely, let’s look into it,’” Waggoner said.

Sounds like Kyle owes Duane Forde a doughnut.  Also - how pissed off is Wally right now?  He had this kid in the bag and Forde totally screwed it up for him.

It would have been interesting to know if Wally was planning to switch Waggoner's passport after the draft passed by.

It would have been interesting to know if Wally was planning to switch Waggoner's passport after the draft passed by.

Didn't someone say earlier in this thread that you can't do that??

If Wally had signed him before this happened, he wouldn't have been able to ever switch status.

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

has a club added so much Canadian talent in one offseason in recent memory?

An aging olineman, a mediocre lb, one legit ni talent and three draft picks? I'm sure nearly every year every team does the same.
please give us an example
Remember when the Riders signed Picard and Labatte when both in their prime?

Are you suggesting that no team has signed 3 ni in a season before?

Also for the draft picks remember how great Poblah turned out to be? I wouldn't be bragging about the guys we added just yet.

No, it would seem he's suggesting Walters had a pretty good offseason.  And if you take the 6 players listed and compare them with the 6 players they will replace on the roster, this team has had some serious upgrading done to it.

Now if your counter to that is the Riders once also had a pretty good offseason, uh, yeah, okay...

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

has a club added so much Canadian talent in one offseason in recent memory?

An aging olineman, a mediocre lb, one legit ni talent and three draft picks? I'm sure nearly every year every team does the same.
please give us an example
Remember when the Riders signed Picard and Labatte when both in their prime?

Are you suggesting that no team has signed 3 ni in a season before?

Also for the draft picks remember how great Poblah turned out to be? I wouldn't be bragging about the guys we added just yet.

I was only looking for examples.

And while yes the riders did sign two starting CND's in their prime. We've added (upgrades) 3 starters for sure...but possibly 6 depending on how TC works. It's not a reach at all to think Chungh Richards and Waggoner will start for the bombers at some point this season. While the jury is still out, Walters may have brought in 6 quality CND starters this off season. That's something I'm not sure the CFL has seen in a long time.

I was concerned that we gave up a first round draft pick originally but I am not as concerned now that I have heard that three or possible even four teams all offered first round draft picks.  That means that multiple teams and scouts and GM's felt this guy was worth a first round pick next year and were willing to put it out there like the Bombers did.  It's great that we have him hopefully all those GM's were right and he ends up being a starting Canadian for us!

Could we be looking at starting 8 or even 9 Canadians this season? It seems like we keep adding more and more Canadians I thought I heard earlier in the off season that they might intend on starting 8

Yup was posted earlier by someone, This is pretty crazy actually, at least 2 other teams bid a first round pick in 2016 for Waggoner.. Tells me the kid has some skills. Like this move by Walters lots actually.

Our Canadian depth has improved vastly since Walters took over, it's really crazy to think where we were under Joe Mack even Canadian depth wise to now... Night and Day for real. 

Yup was posted earlier by someone, This is pretty crazy actually, at least 2 other teams bid a first round pick in 2016 for Waggoner.. Tells me the kid has some skills. Like this move by Walters lots actually.

Our Canadian depth has improved vastly since Walters took over, it's really crazy to think where we were under Joe Mack even Canadian depth wise to now... Night and Day for real. 

Also don't forget about the dark Mike Kelly year....  ugh completely destroyed our team...

Also don't forget about the dark Mike Kelly year....  ugh completely destroyed our team...

That was many years ago now, Kelly might have done some damage to the team but... Mack had a chance to fix it and didn't. Kelly had 1 year, Mack had what? 3.. this is walters what? 2nd? And for as much heat as this may get, I think Mike Kelly was quite misunderstood, yup he told it like it was, fans and media didn't like that but... reality is, if he was given 3 years like Mack was, my guess, the team is better off now than it was under Mack canadian depth wise at least...

Can talk about Mike Kelly messing up all you want but his main man was John Murphy who is now in Calgary with Huff, Murphy knows his stuff, the 'database' was legit, just never got more than a year to see what it could do. 

Waggoner, Hurl, Newman, Briggs, Morgan, Bucknor, Jones, Sherman

... that is a lot of talent on defense. I can't imagine we keep it all together and I doubt every single one of these guys meets the hype but it sure beats throwing Rene Bandaid and Neil McKinlay out there.

Sherman is borderline, Hurl is borderline, Bucknor is 30 (old for a CB), none of the rest have shown they can start.

And you forgot Westerman and Thomas.

Sherman and Hurl can probably play a role at least.  Bucknor is a guy I don't trust, particularly if they crack down on contact by DB's as they have pledged to.  He can't cover.

IMO, you have a spot for Hurl/Waggoner/Briggs at LB.  You have a DB spot, most likely Bucknor or Jones, maybe a little Sherman/Newman (health being a massive question mark) on passing downs as a second safety/blitzer, allowing an all import DL.  You have a DL spot for Westerman and Thomas.  3 defensive NI spots with probably at least 5 or 6 guys getting a decent amount of reps if everyone is healthy.  I'd love it if we could add a decent DL, Ivan Brown isn't horrible either for a handful of snaps.

4 starters on offence, 3 OL and Kohlert, fair amount of JFG and fullbacks too.  Reasonable amount of depth and a fair amount of high ceiling guys.

Leggett is so good (in contention for best in the league) at safety that I would prefer to see Waggoner at WIL. I think he can fit in well there, considering it's become more of a DB spot, and I don't want to move Leggett away from the back of this defense. He's got a solid coverage range that we've lacked for awhile.