Sign Willy!

Floyd

TB, logically speaking, I'd think you're close to bang on.

He probably took a modest signing bonus today (~50k?) and saw some of his performance money become base salary money.

Going forward, there's probably room for him to renegotiate his bonus in 2016 based on how much of it they can put on the 2015 cap at the end of the year.

But really, impossible to say and it's not even worth worrying about.

Kirk Penton ‏@PentonKirk 5m5 minutes ago

So it sounds like Drew Willy will be making about the same $250,000 this year, and then he'll be up over $400K in 2016 and 2017.

I hope this one's true. Gives Willy a chance to prove it or get cut if he's not worth the $400K.
Which is, sort of... exactly what we were trying to tell you earlier. So are you now going to argue with yourself? That would be fun to watch!
He's getting a bonus this year in addition to his base salary, as part of the extension.

My guess is this is how the contract works:

2015: $250k base + $100k bonus (new money as part of extension

2016: $400k base

2017: $400k base

Give or take 2016 & 2017 with some performance bonuses tied in there.

Not sure that makes sense.  $100K signing bonus is all cap hit and Walters said that the cap hit this year wouldn't be all that different.  I'd guess they converted a lot of bonuses into base salary and gave him a smaller signing bonus than $100K, but it's all conjecture at this point.

I thought that there was a small increase to the cap between this year and last. There is a chance we gave Willy a signing bonus of some sort and used up some of the new cap space keeping his cap hit roughly the same.

So it sounds like Drew Willy will be making about the same $250,000 this year, and then he'll be up over $400K in 2016 and 2017.

I hope this one's true. Gives Willy a chance to prove it or get cut if he's not worth the $400K.
Which is, sort of... exactly what we were trying to tell you earlier. So are you now going to argue with yourself? That would be fun to watch!
He's getting a bonus this year in addition to his base salary, as part of the extension.

Not sure that makes sense. $100K signing bonus is all cap hit and Walters said that the cap hit this year wouldn't be all that different. I'd guess they converted a lot of bonuses into base salary and gave him a smaller signing bonus than $100K, but it's all conjecture at this point.
I thought that there was a small increase to the cap between this year and last. There is a chance we gave Willy a signing bonus of some sort and used up some of the new cap space keeping his cap hit roughly the same.
Actually 100% Willy got a bonus this year because Walters confirmed it in today's press conference.

Not sure that makes sense. $100K signing bonus is all cap hit and Walters said that the cap hit this year wouldn't be all that different. I'd guess they converted a lot of bonuses into base salary and gave him a smaller signing bonus than $100K, but it's all conjecture at this point.
Actually 100% Willy got a bonus this year because Walters confirmed it in today's press conference.

Article by Lawless

This was so un-Bombers-like. Progressive, smart and forward-thinking. None of the things this franchise had recently been known for, prior to Kyle Walters and his ascension to the GM’s chair.

No, the Bombers’ way would have been to scrimp on the cash this season and then watch Drew Willy progress and come into his own as a starting quarterback — just as his contract expired, and with any number of CFL teams anxious to slide a juicy offer his way in an attempt to pry him out of Winnipeg.

Imagine the calamity, had Walters held off on extending Willy, only to see him develop into an elite starter and then walk out the door to help another team in its quest for a Grey Cup. It would have been a fireable offence. A reason to push Walters out the door and put this franchise back a number of years. Without a GM and without a starting quarterback. No plan, no progress — no chance.

But that’s not the Bombers’ way anymore. Not under Walters. Being a GM in pro sport isn’t about being some mad genius and pulling off crazy deals. It’s about understanding salary systems, overseeing a thorough and detailed scouting department and following a plan.

Don’t get me wrong, Walters is a smart guy. But he’s no wizard pulling off a grand heist behind the curtains. Rather, he’s ultra-transparent and the Willy move is telegraphed protection.

Walters gave Willy a signing bonus of $150,000 this year, which he says he had already accounted for against the team’s cap for this season. The added years to the contact — 2016 and 2017 — will see Willy get a raise to $400,000.So Walters paid $150,000 for insurance to keep Willy should he prove to be a quarterback worthy of those dollars going forward.

If Willy were to unexpectedly regress, Walters could deem him expendable and release him following this season. No fuss, no muss and, most importantly, no financial attachment.

This is all so reminiscent of the Brendon LaBatte negotiations of a few years ago. Except Walters elected to play the wise and prescient overseer rather than the fool.

Back in 2011, then-Bombers GM Joe Mack had the opportunity to extend his top offensive lineman during the season for a reasonable number. His coach Paul LaPolice urged him to do so.

Mack, however, didn’t see the good sense in that reasoning and became red-faced and angry when the all-star fled to the Sasktachewan Roughriders on the first day of free agency.

The management strategy was lazy, uninformed and arrogant. The results were disastrous for the Bombers.

Walters understands the value in protecting assets. Good players are hard to come by and keeping them happy and compensated at the market rate is good business.

My money won’t be on the Bombers to win the Grey Cup this season. They still have glaring holes in the roster. But Walters is making steady progress. When Dominic Picard became available, Walters leapt. Stanley Bryant was the big fish in terms of offensive linemen on the free agent market this off-season and Walters landed him.

Winnipeg will field a better crop of Canadians this season, will have a much better offensive line and a defence suited for the West Division.

The days of the GM chomping on a cigar in his office and playing the role of mastermind are over. Salary caps and technology have changed the role.

A GM has to understand the value of the players he has and develop a constantly refreshing pipeline of talent. This is Walters. A GM for today.

gary.lawless@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @garylawless

Gary Lawless, Winnipeg Free Press

Are you joking? Drew Willy 100% deserves more money than Crompton.

I don't know, Crompton only threw three less touchdowns. That's pretty much even. Crompton is in line for a big raise now.

Thanks Drew Willy

I hope you're joking too. I've watched them both play. Crompton isn't even in Willy's league.

Except he won.  8-2 in the second half of the season and he took them to the playoffs.  What more can you ask for?

So, it appears that Willy will be making 400k this year.  Good on Walters for playing the small (and obvious to most) gamble of spending the dollars needed to make sure that we lock him up for the foreseeable future.  I have to say that I was very nervous about his hiring, but as time continues, Walters seems to be doing the things that need to get done in order to finally turn this franchise around. 

Here's Darren Cameron's blog entry about Drew Willy. And yeah, yeah, we know it's a fluff piece. It really isn't necessary to go over that yet again.

Today is a huge day for this organization. For the first time in well over a decade, the Blue Bombers have committed largely, both in term and financially, to a franchise quarterback. It’s an exciting day, and another step in the continued path to success for any organization; maintaining continuity and stability.

When we first traded for Drew Willy in February of 2014 we were all in Ottawa for the CFL Congress – annual league meetings held each year. We made the trade Thursday morning, flew back Thursday night, and Drew and his girlfriend Hillary walked into my office early Friday before the press conference.  He was polite, quiet, and looked really young. Despite only being a year apart in age, I couldn’t help but wonder if he was in his early 20’s – knowing full well he wasn’t.

Prior to Drew and Hillary arriving that morning, Coach O’Shea, Kyle Walters and myself had met in Kyle’s office to go over the core message of the press conference. Given that we were still in early February, I had suggested that Mike refrain from emphatically anointing him the starter, unless he was one thousand percent certain that was the direction he wanted to go. Most of the time, whether it’s with Wade, Kyle or Mike, we discuss messaging prior to public appearances and advice is taken into considerable account. Not this time. Mike was definitive and without hesitation. “Drew Willy is the starter, and I don’t want there to be any doubt about that,” he told me that morning. Alright, then.

Much like a Head Coach, football PR people spend a lot of time with the starting quarterback. Their media demands are significant, and you get to see a side of the player that many others don’t. With Drew, the leadership oozes out, but not vocally. Although he plans to be more vocal this season, he is one who leads by example. Rarely is a player in the building before him, or after him, and his evenings are usually spent watching film on his iPad. He rarely displays emotion, especially publicly. He’s a guy who pushes praise onto others when it’s directed at him, but someone who has his hand up first to take the fall when things go poorly. When we started out 5-1 last season, and the town was being dubbed ‘Willypeg’, he would shy away from the topic. The idea of making ‘Willypeg’ tee-shirts was suggested during that hot run in June and July. Drew quickly squashed the idea; he wanted no part in it. Sure, he thought the name was cool and make no mistake, he appreciates the love, but he isn’t into self-promotion. A leader by example.

When he threw a pick-six to Saskatchewan’s Terrell Maze to give the Riders the lead and an eventual win late in August last year, we walked off the field together. Neither of us said a word, but as we entered the tunnel the coast was clear, Drew screamed so loudly my ears rang from the noise and the shock of this sudden anger. Before we went out for his post-game press conference, as we ran through the numbers and potential questions, he interrupted me abruptly: “This is my fault, that’s the bottom line and my answer.” Was it all his fault that night? Absolutely not. But he was going to take responsibility, and there was no conversation to be had.

He took a franchise record number of sacks, but wouldn’t place blame on anyone. After he hurt his shoulder in mid- September, rarely would you see him at his locker stall during halftimes. Need Drew? He’s in with  Alain Couture (Head Athletic Therapist), and team doctors in the training room, trying to help him make it through another half. Yet he wouldn’t use that as a crutch, ever. Ask him to talk about his injuries or how he was feeling, his answer was and always will “fine”, even though we all knew the truth.

He has his quirks (don’t ever give him a middle seat on a plane), but if Bomber fans want a leader, stability, and talent at the most important position on the field, they are getting all that and more with today’s announcement. Maybe we can work on him with regards to the Willypeg stuff, he is, after all, going to be here a while. 

If you have any blog ideas or thoughts on what you want to hear about from Florida’s mini- camp (April 19th-21st) feel free to contact me on Twitter @darren_cameron.

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/blog-the-real-drew-willy

I will bet Crompton does well with the ladies in Montreal.

Why do you say that?

All you have to do is look at him to know the answer.
I don't see it, but I'm a guy.

Yet you're fascinated by what's inside Troy Stoudermire's shorts. ;)

Crompton took his team to the playoffs, Willy didn't. Therefore Crompton is the better QB.

The hair also puts him over the top.

Crompton is rompin in that hair ...

1409930057000-crompton.jpg

Willy, kinda silly ... ;)

drew-willy.jpg

Oooww that's touchy.  Can't criticize the man's hair, he donates it for little kids with cancer that have lost their hair.....

http://www.locksoflove.org/

IC KHARI HATES LITTLE BALD KIDS WITH CANCER!!! 

BURN HIM!!!

BURN HIM!!!

NO, FIRST CUT OFF HIS HAIR AND THEN....BURN HIM!!!