The Jets are dead. Long LIVE the Bombers!

BigBlue

Love both teams, have season tickets for both and their schedules conveniently work well together. (Really need a double header this year, afternoon Bomber game, followed by Jets at night). 

But honestly if you are comparing Jets fans to Rider fans...... give your head a shake. First off go to any Rider game and see how the fans treat opposing teams fans. Go to a Jets game and see the difference. Albeit comparing game experiences from football to hockey is a bit hard but you can at least see how the fans treat each other. Secondly, Jets fans do not say that we will win it every year. Most fans are realistic about our chances. Are there good reasons to be excited about our future? Hell yes there is. If someone from TO or Vancouver or whatever wants to cheer for us as their second team, good for them, I don't really care. Thirdly you will not have Jets fans telling you that our fanbase is the sole reason, as to why, the NHL still exists. Are we passionate, yes, are we going to treat the other teams like ****, yes (just the same as when opposing teams come to play the Bombers) are we loud and in your face about our devotion to our team 24/7 365 days a year, no. We would have to go a long way to consider ourselves even close to what the Rider fans have done and how they think of themselves.

Anyways, diehard for both teams. I love go to Bomber games and hearing the stadium get so ******* loud you can't hear the person next to you, the feeling of a defensive stand at the end of the game or the elation of game winning field goal, And I love the feeling of holding 2-1 lead going into the third (during the stretch run to get in), where I am shaking in my seat, seeing big hits and big goals at big times. Its hard to compare the two games really, all I can say is I love both experiences and I never want them to change.

True North isn't about a corporation anymore.

We are True North... the people of this city.  And this city is a little small, a little out-of-the-way, so we have to be the loudest to make sure our voices are heard. 

Ex-Winnipeggers who couldn't take the cold and abandoned this city when it was at its lowest.... you'll never understand.  You're Albertans and British Columbians and Ontarians now... if you don't like the True North chant, it's because you aren't True North, and you never were!

Yeah - totally with ya bud!! Right on - all you people who left can suck it!

But if you hadn't left, you would never have learned of the Little Hobo Cafe.

The True North chant is unique. It is totally applicable and it is entirely Winnipeg's. It is something you should roll with as long as you can.

It is not anywhere near being close to Rider-like. For one thing, they don't know the meaning of originality.

I love the Bombers and I love the Jets. I can't really say that I love one more than the other. I definitely love the CFL more than the NHL - I watch all CFL games but my interest in non-Jets games is hit and miss. And you can count me in as a curling fan too. I don't watch basketball, the NFL or soccer. I used to be a Jays fan (and Expos back in the day) but MLB had one too many labour stopages and I completely lost interest.

Yeah I feel the same way... Though I've been a hockey fan for longer, I find more enjoyment in watching any random football game than any random hockey game. I'd say I'm as much of a diehard Oilers fan as I am a diehard Bombers fan, however I'm certainly more of a CFL fan than an NHL fan.

The media? LOL like TSN and Sportsnet i guess? who only mentioned the Jets in passing this entire season? I don't get this really, The Jets were pretty much ignored by TSN and Sportsnet the entire season, the only time they actually got some love is when they made the playoffs. All year, both TSN and Sportsnet did everything they could to pretty much ignore the Jets, Toronto this, Ottawa that, Montreal this, Calgary that, Vancouver this, Edmonton this... Winnipeg rarely to never received any sort of love from those 2 networks at all, part of the issue i have with sportsnet is how they completely ignored the Jets all season long. Never talked about them and if they did, it was for 20 seconds. They make the playoffs, get some, not lots, but some love and it's a bad thing now? If you really want to go there, during most jets broadcasts on sportsnet, we got the D team and that D team we got, it was pretty obvious they were cheering against the JETS. 

ps: TRUE NORTH!!!

what?? No they didn't (ignore the Jets that is) Sportsnet maybe did, but not TSN

Love both teams, have season tickets for both and their schedules conveniently work well together. (Really need a double header this year, afternoon Bomber game, followed by Jets at night). 

But honestly if you are comparing Jets fans to Rider fans...... give your head a shake. First off go to any Rider game and see how the fans treat opposing teams fans. Go to a Jets game and see the difference. Albeit comparing game experiences from football to hockey is a bit hard but you can at least see how the fans treat each other. Secondly, Jets fans do not say that we will win it every year. Most fans are realistic about our chances. Are there good reasons to be excited about our future? Hell yes there is. If someone from TO or Vancouver or whatever wants to cheer for us as their second team, good for them, I don't really care. Thirdly you will not have Jets fans telling you that our fanbase is the sole reason, as to why, the NHL still exists. Are we passionate, yes, are we going to treat the other teams like ****, yes (just the same as when opposing teams come to play the Bombers) are we loud and in your face about our devotion to our team 24/7 365 days a year, no. We would have to go a long way to consider ourselves even close to what the Rider fans have done and how they think of themselves.

Anyways, diehard for both teams. I love go to Bomber games and hearing the stadium get so ******* loud you can't hear the person next to you, the feeling of a defensive stand at the end of the game or the elation of game winning field goal, And I love the feeling of holding 2-1 lead going into the third (during the stretch run to get in), where I am shaking in my seat, seeing big hits and big goals at big times. Its hard to compare the two games really, all I can say is I love both experiences and I never want them to change.

nice post. well said

what?? No they didn't (ignore the Jets that is) Sportsnet maybe did, but not TSN

I couldn't believe how much time Sportsnet devoted to the Leafs, even after the regular season was over. Blah blah blah...they suck...what more is there to say? I know that 50% of this country's population cheers for the Leafs so they have to pander to that base, but seriously, how much can be said about Phil Kessel that hasn't already been said?

I couldn't believe how much time Sportsnet devoted to the Leafs, even after the regular season was over. Blah blah blah...they suck...what more is there to say? I know that 50% of this country's population cheers for the Leafs so they have to pander to that base, but seriously, how much can be said about Phil Kessel that hasn't already been said?

You know it! At the beginning of each sport I hope that the Riders, Leafs & Seahawks lose every game.

We are True North... the people of this city. And this city is a little small, a little out-of-the-way, so we have to be the loudest to make sure our voices are heard.

Ex-Winnipeggers who couldn't take the cold and abandoned this city when it was at its lowest.... you'll never understand. You're Albertans and British Columbians and Ontarians now... if you don't like the True North chant, it's because you aren't True North, and you never were!

I left and I love the true north chant. You got a problem? And I miss the deep freeze. Calgary winters are Winnipeg in march. Haha

Yeah - totally with ya bud!! Right on - all you people who left can suck it!

Since you left are you saying you can suck yourself? :P

How do you know I left?

Location: West Kelowna would be the tip off that you left the province.

kw4ec5aea4.jpg

Oh a sarcasm detector. ...that's a real useful invention.

and further to this current train of thought, as much as I love what Chipman and True North have done for the city, the level of adoration is starting to go a little far. I mean, people are REALLY putting TNSE on a pedastal and I'd suggest it needs to be dialed back a bit.

no kidding. The Jets are in big danger of becoming the Riders of the NHL and that's not a compliment. 

Agreed.  I was in Brandon for the Wheat Kings playoff game on Saturday and was stunned to hear the True North shout out during the anthem.  I get it during Jets games (although the circle jerk the fans give themselves afterwards is a different matter) but it's weird to hear it at other events completely unrelated to TNSE.

It's been going on for the past couple years at Wheaties games and it annoys the hell out of me.  TN has nothing to do with the Wheat Kings whatsoever.  It would be like me yelling "Blue!" during the anthem like I was at a Bomber game.  No connection there either.  To be fair though it's usually just a handful of people (mostly kids that don't know any better) while the vast majority of us ignore them.  I will admit that was the loudest "True North" shout I've heard at Westman Place all season this past Saturday.  I blame you Bigg Jay  :lol:.

And I'm right there with you on your point about the cheering right after the True North chant.  Bugged me for years.  I love the chant itself at Jets games but cmon Jets fans, act like you've been there before. 

We are True North... the people of this city.  And this city is a little small, a little out-of-the-way, so we have to be the loudest to make sure our voices are heard. 

Ex-Winnipeggers who couldn't take the cold and abandoned this city when it was at its lowest.... you'll never understand.  You're Albertans and British Columbians and Ontarians now... if you don't like the True North chant, it's because you aren't True North, and you never were!

I was reading some static from other fans and reporters during the Jets-Ducks series on how our fanbase was getting all the love even though we didn't have much to cheer about and our city sucked and blah blah blah.  And they kinda had a point, getting the 3rd star in game 4 was pretty weak and a little condescending I thought.  But what a lot of those people don't understand and can't ever understand is how it feels having your team ripped, torn, stolen away from you and knowing you would never get it back (did anyone honestly think the NHL would come back during those dark days in the mid to late 90s?).  Most of us moved on to other teams and put the Jets behind us for good.

Then came the MTS Centre and there was a kernel of hope that maybe, just maybe we could get a team again.  It wasn't much, especially seeing how hard the NHL fought to keep Phoenix and Nashville from moving, but it was hope.  Then the day we got the Thrashers it was the complete opposite of Apr 96.  It washed away 15 years of wrong and made it right again.  So, to me anyways, when we yell "True North" it's our way of saying thank you to TN for bringing our team back (yeah I know the Thrashers were never in Winnipeg, not the point) and fixing that wrong from 96.  And maybe a little FU to the rest of the league for letting us leave in the first place.  

Having said all this I do think that it should stay at Jets games.  Not a fan of hearing it at Bomber games and it should never be heard at Wheaties game.  

We are True North... the people of this city. And this city is a little small, a little out-of-the-way, so we have to be the loudest to make sure our voices are heard.

Ex-Winnipeggers who couldn't take the cold and abandoned this city when it was at its lowest.... you'll never understand. You're Albertans and British Columbians and Ontarians now... if you don't like the True North chant, it's because you aren't True North, and you never were!

I was reading some static from other fans and reporters during the Jets-Ducks series on how our fanbase was getting all the love even though we didn't have much to cheer about and our city sucked and blah blah blah. And they kinda had a point, getting the 3rd star in game 4 was pretty weak and a little condescending I thought. But what a lot of those people don't understand and can't ever understand is how it feels having your team ripped, torn, stolen away from you and knowing you would never get it back (did anyone honestly think the NHL would come back during those dark days in the mid to late 90s?). Most of us moved on to other teams and put the Jets behind us for good.

Then came the MTS Centre and there was a kernel of hope that maybe, just maybe we could get a team again. It wasn't much, especially seeing how hard the NHL fought to keep Phoenix and Nashville from moving, but it was hope. Then the day we got the Thrashers it was the complete opposite of Apr 96. It washed away 15 years of wrong and made it right again. So, to me anyways, when we yell "True North" it's our way of saying thank you to TN for bringing our team back (yeah I know the Thrashers were never in Winnipeg, not the point) and fixing that wrong from 96. And maybe a little FU to the rest of the league for letting us leave in the first place.

Having said all this I do think that it should stay at Jets games. Not a fan of hearing it at Bomber games and it should never be heard at Wheaties game.

Don't hold your breath about not hearing outside of jets games.

I used to hear 'go jets go' at some moose games.......

and further to this current train of thought, as much as I love what Chipman and True North have done for the city, the level of adoration is starting to go a little far. I mean, people are REALLY putting TNSE on a pedastal and I'd suggest it needs to be dialed back a bit.

no kidding. The Jets are in big danger of becoming the Riders of the NHL and that's not a compliment. 

Last week I was reading some Jets article in the paper and that same thought popped in my head - the level of circle jerking going on was really starting to remind me of something.

And then it hit me...Rider fans.  They were the same justifications I've heard from Rider fans.  The bowl of cereal suddenly had an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

I'm not a big fan of the "True North" chant, especially cheering for ourselves after we do it, but at least it makes some sense at a Jets game. IMO if you're yelling it anywhere else you look/sound like an idiot.

The Rider fans comparison isn't that far off. Asking every player/coach who comes to Winnipeg how awesome we are really reeks of a need for constant reassurance. All we need is a Commissioner's award for being "the best fans ever".

I was talking to some people out here during the playoffs who had adopted the Jets as their 2nd team because everyone in Canada is rooting for them!, I told him yeah, that's cause they've been doormats for so long, give it time, the fans will make you hate them. Being everyones 2nd favourite team is an insult.  Just means you haven't won ****.