Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

Well we knew the Riders were going to sign players at one point because they can't scout and are quite a bit short of a full roster. Just glad most of the signing are there own fringe players and other teams castoffs. Glad they didn't use the money to improve their club. Hall (if he can re-adapt to the CFL game) replaces Foley so that's a wash, and Emry was about as good as Kilgore last year. Despite some trumpeting by Rider fans today, I fail to see the improvement. Imo, they have done nothing to make themselves a better club thus far this offseason.

Meh, I'd say moving from Foley and Kilgore (or whoever they had at MLB) to Emry and Hall is a big upgrade.

Other than that, they've retained depth similar to what we've brought in because we didn't have it in the first place.

Let's see how things keep unfolding, though.

I would agree if they were getting the 2012 Emry. His play has seen a noticeable drop off since then. Last year, just my opinion, I thought he was among the weakest MLBers in the league. He gave Kuale a run for his money. Hall is a good DE that should help IF he doesn't show up looking like Hickman did last year. I somehow doubt it but you never know. At any rate, I see this as a wash. I don't think that Hall will be as good as Foley was last year, and I don't think Emry provides more than a small upgrade at MLB for the Riders if he plays like last year. I guess we will agree to disagree but I see it as at best a small upgrade for the Riders. Certainly not enough to offset their other losses they have sustained this offseason.

See above. Bad job editing.

THIS JUST IN: @Ticats re-sign DE Justin Hickman. Details to come. #CFLFA15

Glad we didn't get him. Last night, after initially being in favor of us pursuing, I thought about it for awhile and realized he really didn't have a very good year last year.

How many games did he play in ? He's an impact player. How big an impact is certainly up for discussion.

Not so much a bust but Getzlaff is injured quite a bit. riders better hope Durant stays healthy or they are screwed.

And J Richardson, Emry, Watson.  Its the roll the dice year for us. We apparently are just going to wing it from here on out.

You guys are nothing without Durant. Proved it last year. 

Well we knew the Riders were going to sign players at one point because they can't scout and are quite a bit short of a full roster. Just glad most of the signing are there own fringe players and other teams castoffs. Glad they didn't use the money to improve their club. Hall (if he can re-adapt to the CFL game) replaces Foley so that's a wash, and Emry was about as good as Kilgore last year. Despite some trumpeting by Rider fans today, I fail to see the improvement. Imo, they have done nothing to make themselves a better club thus far this offseason.

Meh, I'd say moving from Foley and Kilgore (or whoever they had at MLB) to Emry and Hall is a big upgrade.

Other than that, they've retained depth similar to what we've brought in because we didn't have it in the first place.

Let's see how things keep unfolding, though.

The biggest changes the riders had to make IMO were on the coaching staff and scouting dept. Those are the changes that the fans are excited about. The riders have a pretty good team already, there weren't a lot of moves that had to be made.
I agree. Gonna be a dog fight in the west this year.

I like the moves you guys have made. Outside of Bryant, none of them are earth shattering. BUT, Walters has a plan it appears and he is slowly putting the pieces together. The Bombers are going to be very much in the hunt this year. You already had a qb, rb and kicker from last year which was a good start. Are making moves to shore up the oline, which i'm sorry to say guys was really rough last year. Willy with more time means more points on the board which means more wins for you. You guys need to make some moves on the defensive side of the ball now. Hickman? I'm happy for you guys, its exciting when the team starts making moves, IN A GOOD WAY.

Better coaching and new approach will help the defence, and it was obvious the Oline had trouble protecting Drew Willy. But he doesn't need more time to look and read. Willy needs to get rid of the ball quicker.

Not so much a bust but Getzlaff is injured quite a bit. riders better hope Durant stays healthy or they are screwed.

And J Richardson, Emry, Watson.  Its the roll the dice year for us. We apparently are just going to wing it from here on out.

Any team without its starter is in big trouble. Pretty basic football 101.

Better coaching and new approach will help the defence, and it was obvious the Oline had trouble protecting Drew Willy. But he doesn't need more time to look and read. Willy needs to get rid of the ball quicker.

Yeah in the last few games he was taking far too long to make a decision. No o-line can give a QB more than four steamboats on every down. Willy wasn't the same guy in the last 9 games that he was in the first nine weeks. I hope the Drew we knew in July 2014 makes a comeback in 2015.

The more surprising part for me was how ineffective the passing game was when Durant was still healthy.  It's one thing to be a run-based offence, but the passing game looked completely out of sync for most of the year no matter who was under center.  I don't know what to expect from that team this year.

The more surprising part for me was how ineffective the passing game was when Durant was still healthy.  It's one thing to be a run-based offence, but the passing game looked completely out of sync for most of the year no matter who was under center.  I don't know what to expect from that team this year.

The O looked bad all year. Hopefully getting rid of Cortez helps that situation

you mean before they got Dressler back? Let's face it the RIder receivers without Dressler didn't scare anyone. With that guy though it changes the entire group.

The O looked bad all year. Hopefully getting rid of Cortez helps that situation

I'm all for blaming the OC -- this is WPG after all -- but Chapstick is only an "upgrade" over Cortez until DD sours on him too. 

Cortez was a genius going into last season though, right?

Welcome back btw! Been far too long since seen ya posting on the bombers :)
Thanks, pal! Appreciated, good to see some familiar faces like you and other OBers kickin' around!

I hear ya. I was saddened when everyone kind of went separate ways because there was always such awesome discussion there... Luckily, everything that was right with OB has essentially happened here so that's pretty sweet.

Ottawa REDBLACKS @REDBLACKS 6m6 minutes ago

Today's #REDBLACKS transactions: SIGNED - LB Evan Frierson SIGNED - QB Brock Jensen RETIRED - long snapper Kevin Scott

Man wish the Bombers could of got him but excited to see Brock Jensen in the CFL. This could very well be their quarterback of the future. Can run and pass all he did was win at North Dakota state I think in his time there he may have lost a max 3 games. Won three straight FCS national championships and I am pretty sure was MVP in all of them.