Michael Sam Possibly Playing for Als Next Season

TrueBlue

Just an aside but here's what's going on in Alberta politics at the moment regarding Gay Straight Alliances in schools. Society is changing. I won't debate the merits of that change. Like I said previously, I don't support a gay lifestyle but I don't believe in criticizing or bullying someone who does. Kids that are gay should feel safe in their own schools. Same with gay pro football players feeling safe in their workplace. We have gay football players & we have gay students anyway so I believe that we should let them live their lives the way they want to. In 20 years people will wonder what the fuss was about in football & in school.

http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/breakenridge-mlas-have-little-choice-but-to-accept-gay-straight-clubs-in-schools

Just an aside but here's what's going on in Alberta politics at the moment regarding Gay Straight Alliances in schools. Society is changing. I won't debate the merits of that change. Like I said previously, I don't support a gay lifestyle but I don't believe in criticizing or bullying someone who does. Kids that are gay should feel safe in their own schools. Same with gay pro football players feeling safe in their workplace. We have gay football players & we have gay students anyway so I believe that we should let them live their lives the way they want to. In 20 years people will wonder what the fuss was about in football & in school.

http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/breakenridge-mlas-have-little-choice-but-to-accept-gay-straight-clubs-in-schools

If someone chooses to live a high-risk lifestyle, be it LGBTQ or otherwise, they will still encounter situations where they have to deal with certain sanctions. The ability to donate blood is one of these, and for very good reasons.

I only lasted about two weeks in my Stats class at U of M.  But I think just common sense tells us that the percentage of anyone in the general populace might be different from the percentage in a specialized demographic, like athletics.  But I could be completely wrong.  Seems like a moot point regardless.

Basically it just shows that you can't make that leap... 10% of the general population being gay has no bearing whatsoever on the percentage of gay athletes.

What is the percentage of black people in the USA vs. the percentage of black people in the NBA?  Doesn't correlate very closely does it?  Or the percentage of black people in the NHL for that matter.

No you can't make that leap in any reliable manner. So your point re: stats is correct. 

But the thing is, sexual orientation is different then race. You don't have a lot of black people in the NHL because there aren't a lot of black people tuned into it or growing up playing it. Or blacks playing lacrosse. 

Sexual orientation though is different. If you have a pulse, you could be gay. That's why the barriers are going to go down so fast. 

Thank you for saying this.  Yes, there are more Afro-American people in the NFL than in the general population, but the reason for that can be clearly explained.  Not so much for sexual orientation, but some people can't quite seem to grasp that.

Explain it then

We did.

Pro TEAM sports is a social meat grinder. 

Until 10 years ago being called "gay" was a huge insult. Hell, probably still is in some locker rooms. 

What kid wants to go through that?

So you figure skate, dive, run, do gymnastics, or do anything else where the entire culture isn't geared around being a "man."

It's sad that 'being manly' is now considered bad.

And we wonder why our society is collapsing under political correctness.  Just because the media tells you most people believe in something is fine doesn't make it fact.

Silent majority is just that...silent.  They're not complainers and bleeding hearts.  They keep their heads down, live well, and do their jobs.

Please don't buy into the "real men are being oppressed" nonsense. 

It's low hanging fruit, to appeal to a "silent majority" of men who are unsatisfied in their lives. 

But rather than pick people up, it encourages white men to blame women or minorities, or gays. 

Look, if you are a healthy, straight, white male living in the US or Canada, you have a distinct advantage in probably 95% of the situations you encounter. 

The handful where you might not have an advantage? Boo hoo. You're a man. Grow a set and do something else. 

No one has to "support a gay lifstyle"- all people have to do is treat them the same as everyone else with the same rights and priviledges. Sexuality is not a digital either "perfectly straight" or "totally gay" choice. Sexuality is an analog thing along a sliding scale and homosexuality exists in the animal kingdom as well. The problem is that some politicians and religious leaders curry favour with neanderthals by bashing gays while indulging in questionable sexual practices themselves in secret.

No one has to "support a gay lifstyle"- all people have to do is treat them the same as everyone else with the same rights and priviledges. Sexuality is not a digital either "perfectly straight" or "totally gay" choice. Sexuality is an analog thing along a sliding scale and homosexuality exists in the animal kingdom as well. 

I have seen a few examples of homosexuality in animals, but only when the other option wasn't available.  I have also seen bulls and boars beat each other into a bloody pulp.  

At any rate, I don't think comparisons to the animal kingdom help homosexual rights very much.  For example, many male mammals and birds do nothing to help raise their offspring.  Do we then use that example to defend deadbeat dads?

No one has to "support a gay lifstyle"- all people have to do is treat them the same as everyone else with the same rights and priviledges. Sexuality is not a digital either "perfectly straight" or "totally gay" choice. Sexuality is an analog thing along a sliding scale and homosexuality exists in the animal kingdom as well. 

I have seen a few examples of homosexuality in animals, but only when the other option wasn't available.  I have also seen bulls and boars beat each other into a bloody pulp.  

At any rate, I don't think comparisons to the animal kingdom help homosexual rights very much.  For example, many male mammals and birds do nothing to help raise their offspring.  Do we then use that example to defend deadbeat dads?

As my last comment on this- homosexual behaviour in animals (including primates) is not contingent on a lack of choice of partners- it appears to be innate.

If you think that being gay is a matter of choice, ask yourself: when was the time when you found yourself equally attracted to both genders but made a conscious decision to go one way or another?

As my last comment on this- homosexual behaviour in animals (including primates) is not contingent on a lack of choice of partners- it appears to be innate.

If you think that being gay is a matter of choice, ask yourself: when was the time when you found yourself equally attracted to both genders but made a conscious decision to go one way or another?

I agree that it's not a choice - I would just be careful about comparisons to the animal kingdom.

Who will actually answer that? 

What does "support a gay lifestyle" mean?

In regards to the question posed is hope everyone can admit they are able to identify when a person is physically

Attractive regardless of gender. Doesn't mean you are sexually attracted to them.

Personally I believe everyone is probably "gay" to a degree. Some all the way to one side or the other and some somewhere in the middle. It's sort of moot trying to pigeonhole a definition especially when cultural, religious and other considerations skew things for a lot of people.

I only lasted about two weeks in my Stats class at U of M.  But I think just common sense tells us that the percentage of anyone in the general populace might be different from the percentage in a specialized demographic, like athletics.  But I could be completely wrong.  Seems like a moot point regardless.

Basically it just shows that you can't make that leap... 10% of the general population being gay has no bearing whatsoever on the percentage of gay athletes.

What is the percentage of black people in the USA vs. the percentage of black people in the NBA?  Doesn't correlate very closely does it?  Or the percentage of black people in the NHL for that matter.

No you can't make that leap in any reliable manner. So your point re: stats is correct. 

But the thing is, sexual orientation is different then race. You don't have a lot of black people in the NHL because there aren't a lot of black people tuned into it or growing up playing it. Or blacks playing lacrosse. 

Sexual orientation though is different. If you have a pulse, you could be gay. That's why the barriers are going to go down so fast. 

Thank you for saying this.  Yes, there are more Afro-American people in the NFL than in the general population, but the reason for that can be clearly explained.  Not so much for sexual orientation, but some people can't quite seem to grasp that.

Explain it then

We did.

Until 10 years ago being called "gay" was a huge insult. Hell, probably still is in some locker rooms. 

So you figure skate, dive, run, do gymnastics, or do anything else where the entire culture isn't geared around being a "man."

And we wonder why our society is collapsing under political correctness.  Just because the media tells you most people believe in something is fine doesn't make it fact.

Silent majority is just that...silent.  They're not complainers and bleeding hearts.  They keep their heads down, live well, and do their jobs.

It's low hanging fruit, to appeal to a "silent majority" of men who are unsatisfied in their lives. 

But rather than pick people up, it encourages white men to blame women or minorities, or gays. 

Look, if you are a healthy, straight, white male living in the US or Canada, you have a distinct advantage in probably 95% of the situations you encounter. 

The handful where you might not have an advantage? Boo hoo. You're a man. Grow a set and do something else. 

If I may play devils advocate... what other group do people say this to? No one else is told to just deal with it...

Do you know how hard it is working down the hall from Voodoo?  The sexual tension is CRAZY!  But I chose not to cheat on my wife.

But I can still check out his hot ass whenever I walk behind him.  MEEOW!

If I may play devils advocate... what other group do people say this to? No one else is told to just deal with it...

advocate.jpg

Good, humorous point. Those of us who fit into the category of middle-class white folks have been in a privileged position for a long time and the problem with being in power is that darned few willingly give it up. Those of us who are AWOGS (angry white old guys) tend to see change of any sort as a threat. This is probably an unconscious reaction to the fading control and power in our own existences as we age. Its always easier to rail at someone else's rise than mourn our own fading.

Do you know how hard it is working down the hall from Voodoo?  The sexual tension is CRAZY!  But I chose not to cheat on my wife.

But I can still check out his hot ass whenever I walk behind him.  MEEOW!

*RAWR*

advocate.jpg

Good, humorous point. Those of us who fit into the category of middle-class white folks have been in a privileged position for a long time and the problem with being in power is that darned few willingly give it up. Those of us who are AWOGS (angry white old guys) tend to see change of any sort as a threat. This is probably an unconscious reaction to the fading control and power in our own existences as we age. Its always easier to rail at someone else's rise than mourn our own fading.

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/2014/10/05/snl-whites-video/

Explain it then

We did.

No other group in society is in the driver's seat in virtually every context. 

Problem is, we only "see" it in when we (meaning white men) are seemingly getting the shaft -- like when a job posting says "preference given to minorities blah blah blah."

That's when we notice it. Not the thousands of other contexts where being a white male in N America is actually, well, a pretty sweet deal. 

Problem is, we only "see" it in when we (meaning white men) are seemingly getting the shaft -- like when a job posting says "preference given to minorities blah blah blah."

That's when we notice it. Not the thousands of other contexts where being a white male in N America is actually, well, a pretty sweet deal. 

That's a cop out there. There are certain areas where men are at a disadvantage why should we just ignore that because there are a lot of other advantages? True equality only exists when everyone is treated the same and part of that does include ensuring that men and white men are treated fairly too. Discrimination against anyone is bad no matter how much they are in the drivers seat. 

That's a cop out there. There are certain areas where men are at a disadvantage why should we just ignore that because there are a lot of other advantages? True equality only exists when everyone is treated the same and part of that does include ensuring that men and white men are treated fairly too. Discrimination against anyone is bad no matter how much they are in the drivers seat. 

It's not a "cop out."

True equality exists in a pipe dream  -- because our society is designed by guys like us, so guys like us can win easier. 

Sure there are exceptions -- but they're just that: exceptions. Not the rule. 

Yes, it's a double standard. But the sad fact is, it's needed. At least for now.

A part of me dies every time I see a young, smart, white dude whine about affirmative action. Are you that much of a fricken loser that you need EVERYTHING equal before you step to the plate?