Michael Sam Possibly Playing for Als Next Season

TrueBlue

Jim Popp has apparently told Dave Naylor there is a 50/50 chance that Michael Sam will play for the Alouettes in 2015.

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/642701

Please keep the discussion politically correct and in good taste.

Kinda sad that you had to include a warning to the Mo Price'ers out there.

Im not familiar enough with Sam's level of skill but Id presume he's good enough for the CFL so if he can play well, great.

There are so many pro-grade players in the 330,000,000 US of A that the difference between making the team and not can be simply whether or not the coach like the colour of your eyes. Sam may be good but he would have had to be outstanding to be a lock on any team. He could be a good addition to the Als and bring some more good media attention to the league.

Jim Popp has apparently told Dave Naylor there is a 50/50 chance that Michael Sam will play for the Alouettes in 2015.

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/642701

Please keep the discussion politically correct and in good taste.

He's a marginal football player at best.

That's quite incorrect... he's a very good defensive end... problem is he has tweener size for the NFL... too small to be a DE but doesn't have the skill set to be an OLB... he is the perfect size to be a CFL DE.... he's need to put on 30 lbs to be an NFL DE

I just find it ridiculous that his orientation is the thing that always gets brought up... Seriously who cares? Can he play football? Just seems that there's too much intolerance out there. I'd be awfully shocked if there weren't a hell of a lot of gay men playing football already. 

Probably 10% for sure. I can understand why they'd prefer to wait to come out til after their career is wrapped up though. 

Probably for sure?

I'd don't think the stats for the general population translate equally to pro sports. Not that I think Sam is the only gay football player out there, but do you really think there's an average of four gay players per team in the CFL?

I just find it ridiculous that his orientation is the thing that always gets brought up... Seriously who cares? Can he play football? Just seems that there's too much intolerance out there. I'd be awfully shocked if there weren't a hell of a lot of gay men playing football already. 

Probably 10% for sure. I can understand why they'd prefer to wait to come out til after their career is wrapped up though. 

Probably for sure?

I'd don't think the stats for the general population translate equally to pro sports. Not that I think Sam is the only gay football player out there, but do you really think there's an average of four gay players per team in the CFL?

Yes.  Why wouldn't it apply to professional sports?

I just find it ridiculous that his orientation is the thing that always gets brought up... Seriously who cares?

You're absolutely right that it's ridiculous. I honestly think the media is trying to make a bigger story of it that most people really think it is. Not that many people would have cared if it wasn't 24/7 on ESPN.

My favourite Michael Sam segment on ESPN was when they discussed how things would be in the shower with a gay man on the team. The producers must have thought he'd be prancing around the shower dropping soap in front of everyone.

Probably for sure?

The 10% estimate is not borne out by modern research.  3-5% of the population tends to be the high end.  But having said that,  they did a study a while back and found that virtually 100% of the people who play pro sports are human beings, which is exactly the same proportion of human beings found in the general population.  So my question would be, what makes you think that pro sports would be any different?

they did a study a while back and found that virtually 100% of the people who play pro sports are human beings, which is exactly the same proportion of human beings found in the general population.  So my question would be, what makes you think that pro sports would be any different?

You're adorable. Yes, everybody is a human being.

Is every group of people represented in pro sports equally to their % of the general population?

they did a study a while back and found that virtually 100% of the people who play pro sports are human beings, which is exactly the same proportion of human beings found in the general population.  So my question would be, what makes you think that pro sports would be any different?

Is every group of people represented in pro sports equally to their % of the general population?

You didn 't answer the question.  Why do you think that pro sports people would be different than the general population?  I'm curious.

To be fair, even if 10% of the population is gay -- which I would argue is far closer to reality than 3-5%, as so many men (and women) that are gay force themselves to live and "report" as straight -- I do think 4 per football squad would be exaggerated, especially at the pro level.

At least not til after another generation or two of societal tolerance. 

But percentage of gays in something less stigmatized like swimming or track or tennis? Sure, 10%.

Percentage in something like figure skating? Haha likely a bit higher.  

You didn 't answer the question.  Why do you think that pro sports people would be different than the general population?  I'm curious.

Because they are different from the general population in every other way.

Well, goes without saying but he's the first one to come out while still playing. Ten years from now it won't be an issue anywhere.

Really, "every other way"? That's a rather bold statement to make.  How so?  Remember, we're not talking about behavioral stuff here, we're talking biological/developmental stuff.  So how are they different?

Really, "every other way"? That's a rather bold statement to make.  How so?  Remember, we're not talking about behavioral stuff here, we're talking biological/developmental stuff.  So how are they different?

How are pro athletes different from the average joe?  I'll let you figure that one out on your own.  It's not hard, I'm sure you'll get it.