Michael Sam Possibly Playing for Als Next Season

TrueBlue

There is a certain % of the population who have a pathological need to see "not us" as "lesser than us"or even sub-human and this is not exclusive to hostility towards gays. These biased individuals can hate blacks, asians, women, catholics, francophones, natives, even the physically disabled. This part of the population is consistently about 10-15% and have a need to compensate for deep-seated doubts about their own competence or sexual confidence. If they do not direct their hatred against gays because there are none present, they will look for other targets. These are individuals who have been indoctrinated by familial or group culture and choose to not question their beliefs. Worse yet, there are those like Fox/Sun  News and their ilk who seek to profit from fanning the flames  of hatred.

The ironic thing is that often the most vocally homophobic individuals have barely repressed homosexual tendencies (like Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker).

Michael Sam seems like he would be a very good fit for a CFL team.

Agreed.  I wouldn't mind the Bombers taking a chance on him, it seems like he should be able to do some damage up here - obviously won't happen due to neg rights - but I'd also probably get annoyed after the first month of the world looking at our team as a social experiment.

Michael Sam seems like he would be a very good fit for a CFL team.

Agreed.  I wouldn't mind the Bombers taking a chance on him, it seems like he should be able to do some damage up here - obviously won't happen due to neg rights - but I'd also probably get annoyed after the first month of the world looking at our team as a social experiment.

I completely agree but some in the CFL might think of it as good exposure for the league...

I only lasted about two weeks in my Stats class at U of M.  But I think just common sense tells us that the percentage of anyone in the general populace might be different from the percentage in a specialized demographic, like athletics.  But I could be completely wrong.  Seems like a moot point regardless.

I only lasted about two weeks in my Stats class at U of M.  But I think just common sense tells us that the percentage of anyone in the general populace might be different from the percentage in a specialized demographic, like athletics.  But I could be completely wrong.  Seems like a moot point regardless.

Basically it just shows that you can't make that leap... 10% of the general population being gay has no bearing whatsoever on the percentage of gay athletes.

What is the percentage of black people in the USA vs. the percentage of black people in the NBA?  Doesn't correlate very closely does it?  Or the percentage of black people in the NHL for that matter.

Basically it just shows that you can't make that leap... 10% of the general population being gay has no bearing whatsoever on the percentage of gay athletes.

What is the percentage of black people in the USA vs. the percentage of black people in the NBA?  Doesn't correlate very closely does it?  Or the percentage of black people in the NHL for that matter.

I was actually going to make that exact same point!  Although it brings up an interesting point, what is the percentage of gay people per ethnic demo?  Does it maintain a constant through all ethnicities, subject only to cultural influences ofcourse?

No you can't make that leap in any reliable manner. So your point re: stats is correct. 

But the thing is, sexual orientation is different then race. You don't have a lot of black people in the NHL because there aren't a lot of black people tuned into it or growing up playing it. Or blacks playing lacrosse. 

Sexual orientation though is different. If you have a pulse, you could be gay. That's why the barriers are going to go down so fast. 

I was actually going to make that exact same point!  Although it brings up an interesting point, what is the percentage of gay people per ethnic demo?  Does it maintain a constant through all ethnicities, subject only to cultural influences ofcourse?

Stats I've seen is yes, though its always subject to self declaration. Basically impossible to say. Good luck getting someone in Russia to declare their sexual preference. 

Stats I've seen is yes, though its always subject to self declaration. Basically impossible to say. 

There is also the belief that everyone is gay.

Stats I've seen is yes, though its always subject to self declaration. Basically impossible to say. 

What's wrong with being happy?  ARE YOU ANTI-HAPPY TUP?

Spend enough time in Manhattan and you'll start to wonder that....

No you can't make that leap in any reliable manner. So your point re: stats is correct. 

But the thing is, sexual orientation is different then race. You don't have a lot of black people in the NHL because there aren't a lot of black people tuned into it or growing up playing it. Or blacks playing lacrosse. 

Sexual orientation though is different. If you have a pulse, you could be gay. That's why the barriers are going to go down so fast. 

Thank you for saying this.  Yes, there are more Afro-American people in the NFL than in the general population, but the reason for that can be clearly explained.  Not so much for sexual orientation, but some people can't quite seem to grasp that.

Thank you for saying this.  Yes, there are more Afro-American people in the NFL than in the general population, but the reason for that can be clearly explained.  Not so much for sexual orientation, but some people can't quite seem to grasp that.

Explain it then