Michael Sam Possibly Playing for Als Next Season

TrueBlue

I only lasted about two weeks in my Stats class at U of M.  But I think just common sense tells us that the percentage of anyone in the general populace might be different from the percentage in a specialized demographic, like athletics.  But I could be completely wrong.  Seems like a moot point regardless.

Basically it just shows that you can't make that leap... 10% of the general population being gay has no bearing whatsoever on the percentage of gay athletes.

What is the percentage of black people in the USA vs. the percentage of black people in the NBA?  Doesn't correlate very closely does it?  Or the percentage of black people in the NHL for that matter.

No you can't make that leap in any reliable manner. So your point re: stats is correct. 

But the thing is, sexual orientation is different then race. You don't have a lot of black people in the NHL because there aren't a lot of black people tuned into it or growing up playing it. Or blacks playing lacrosse. 

Sexual orientation though is different. If you have a pulse, you could be gay. That's why the barriers are going to go down so fast. 

Thank you for saying this.  Yes, there are more Afro-American people in the NFL than in the general population, but the reason for that can be clearly explained.  Not so much for sexual orientation, but some people can't quite seem to grasp that.

Explain it then

We did.

Pro TEAM sports is a social meat grinder. 

Until 10 years ago being called "gay" was a huge insult. Hell, probably still is in some locker rooms. 

What kid wants to go through that?

So you figure skate, dive, run, do gymnastics, or do anything else where the entire culture isn't geared around being a "man."

I was referring to his claim that it is easy to explain why there are more black people in the NBA/NFL, etc.

In part, It has to do with opportunities for inner city youth (especially males) throughout the US.

So why not baseball?  Just as much opportunity for black kids to play baseball as there is for them to play football.  Yet the ratios are wildly different.  Why?  Don't give me some lame partial explanation, you said there is a clear explanation, so let's hear it.

I was referring to his claim that it is easy to explain why there are more black people in the NBA/NFL, etc.

In part, It has to do with opportunities for inner city youth (especially males) throughout the US.

So why not baseball?  Just as much opportunity for black kids to play baseball as there is for them to play football.  Yet the ratios are wildly different.  Why?  Don't give me some lame partial explanation, you said there is a clear explanation, so let's hear it.

1) Culture. 

Cant compare baseball in the US to basketball. Baseball is much more white America's past time than blacks. 

Not saying blacks "don't like" baseball but basketball is HUGE culturally. 

But baseball in Mexico, Puerto Rico, etc? HUGE game. Hence, the representation. 

2) Genetics 

Basketball is probably the most genetically selective major sport -- speed, coordination, not to mention extreme height -- all 3 are qualities you can NOT train, at least not very much. 

Black people very often are born with those gifts. You just had great coaching and opportunity and ka-pow. 

Well, I didn't know that every sport had to have an equal radio of ethnicities to satisfy you, so we won't go into hockey or soccer then.  I've pointed out one of several reasons.  You want more?  Do what I did and go to school.  Learning is fun! 

I just find it ridiculous that his orientation is the thing that always gets brought up... Seriously who cares? Can he play football? Just seems that there's too much intolerance out there. I'd be awfully shocked if there weren't a hell of a lot of gay men playing football already. 

Probably 10% for sure. I can understand why they'd prefer to wait to come out til after their career is wrapped up though. 

Probably for sure?

I'd don't think the stats for the general population translate equally to pro sports. Not that I think Sam is the only gay football player out there, but do you really think there's an average of four gay players per team in the CFL?

Yes.  Why wouldn't it apply to professional sports?

The jock culture present in most locker rooms, which includes a lot of homophobia, probably keeps a significant number of homosexuals away from organized sports, so I don't doubt that percentage would be lower in pro sports.

Why is this such a big deal? If Micheal Sam can play football & play well then why wouldn't he be welcomed by fans & players across our league? I get the locker room thing but really there are gay players in pro football now so nothing will have changed other than ONE player (Sam) who came forward & announced he was gay.

Yes, there'll be a push back from groups & individuals who think homosexuality will lead to an eventful lake of fire after we pass on. But you won't change their minds anyway. They all have to die off & take their prejudices to the grave with them one by one. In 20 years society's take on things will be different.

I don't get Atomics's "Slippery Slope" comments as gays already are in NFL & CFL locker rooms. If Sam was taken off the Als Neg List then the Bombers should add him IMO. If he keeps his sex life out of the locker room then who cares? This is a huge non starter for me. 

I don't agree with homosexuality or the homosexual lifestyle but at the same time I don't think it's anyone's place to deny employment to anyone because of sexual orientation. 

I don't see how it's anyone's business where two consenting adults find love.  It's kind of sad in this day and age that there are 5 pages on a topic about any players sexual orientation.  All I care about is can he play football?  The answer to that question is still up in the air.

I completely disagree with you. 

I think the fact that there is a 5-page discussion on a players sexual orientation and not a single post saying or even implying "keep that ***** away from my team" is pretty fricken awesome. 

SEC defensive player of the year? Yeah, dude can clearly play football too. 

can he play the run, or is he mainly a pass rusher?

I don't buy the tweener excuse. How much does Clay Mathews weigh? about the same I think. 

NFL teams are years behind on all social issues

three or so months ago, the head of the league thought knocking out your girl friend and dragging her around by the hair

meant a two game suspension as punishment.

Even the hallowed Tony Dungy said that he could understand why teams didn't want Sam.

and He's highly respected. and a fundamentalist christian I think. what does that tell you about the NFL?

In fact, on nearly every good play you see somebody pointing skyward.

Fundamentalist Christians think Homosexuality is a sin. There are a lot of them in the NFL. coaches and players

(should add so do orthodox Jews, and Muslims) 

so, I think that has more  to do with Sam not getting making it in the NFL than his size, or skill.

sec defensive player of the year. How many of the people that won that didn't make an NFL team? close to zero is my guess.

Looked it up: Yeah, his orientation appears to have cost him an NFL job.

"To get some sense of the range of outcomes for the “productive” players who won their major conference Defensive Player of the Year awards, I looked back at the last decade in the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, and Pac-10/12. In the SEC, only one player who won the award was selected outside the top 33 picks in the draft–"

"The big lead"

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/10/michael-sam-only-one-other-sec-defensive-player-of-the-year-has-been-drafted-outside-the-first-two-rounds/

If Montreal has his rights, they'd be dumb not to sign him, if he wants to come to the CFL. and they aren't dumb.

I just find it ridiculous that his orientation is the thing that always gets brought up... Seriously who cares? Can he play football? Just seems that there's too much intolerance out there. I'd be awfully shocked if there weren't a hell of a lot of gay men playing football already. 

Exactly. I wish people would just equally treat each other like normal human beings. No need to make each other different.

But great to see him make a run at the CFL! Hope all goes well for him.

I don't see how it's anyone's business where two consenting adults find love. It's kind of sad in this day and age that there are 5 pages on a topic about any players sexual orientation. All I care about is can he play football? The answer to that question is still up in the air.

I completely disagree with you.

I think the fact that there is a 5-page discussion on a players sexual orientation and not a single post saying or even implying "keep that ***** away from my team" is pretty fricken awesome.

SEC defensive player of the year? Yeah, dude can clearly play football too.

That's a good point. A forum I used to post on earlier this year has several members who were homophobes including a moderator. This place is much more in tune with modern reality.

Exactly. I wish people would just equally treat each other like normal human beings. No need to make each other different.

But great to see him make a run at the CFL! Hope all goes well for him.

I wish Jeff Garcia's wife had a twin sister who was in my kitchen making me breakfast cause I did such a bang-up job last night. 

Sadly, wishing gets us no where. 

And yes, there's room for Sam on our D-line. 

I only lasted about two weeks in my Stats class at U of M.  But I think just common sense tells us that the percentage of anyone in the general populace might be different from the percentage in a specialized demographic, like athletics.  But I could be completely wrong.  Seems like a moot point regardless.

Basically it just shows that you can't make that leap... 10% of the general population being gay has no bearing whatsoever on the percentage of gay athletes.

What is the percentage of black people in the USA vs. the percentage of black people in the NBA?  Doesn't correlate very closely does it?  Or the percentage of black people in the NHL for that matter.

No you can't make that leap in any reliable manner. So your point re: stats is correct. 

But the thing is, sexual orientation is different then race. You don't have a lot of black people in the NHL because there aren't a lot of black people tuned into it or growing up playing it. Or blacks playing lacrosse. 

Sexual orientation though is different. If you have a pulse, you could be gay. That's why the barriers are going to go down so fast. 

Thank you for saying this.  Yes, there are more Afro-American people in the NFL than in the general population, but the reason for that can be clearly explained.  Not so much for sexual orientation, but some people can't quite seem to grasp that.

Explain it then

We did.

Until 10 years ago being called "gay" was a huge insult. Hell, probably still is in some locker rooms. 

So you figure skate, dive, run, do gymnastics, or do anything else where the entire culture isn't geared around being a "man."

It's sad that 'being manly' is now considered bad.

And we wonder why our society is collapsing under political correctness.  Just because the media tells you most people believe in something is fine doesn't make it fact.

Silent majority is just that...silent.  They're not complainers and bleeding hearts.  They keep their heads down, live well, and do their jobs.

Explain it then

We did.

It's sad that 'being manly' is now considered bad.

And we wonder why our society is collapsing under political correctness.  Just because the media tells you most people believe in something is fine doesn't make it fact.

Silent majority is just that...silent.  They're not complainers and bleeding hearts.  They keep their heads down, live well, and do their jobs.

I believe that we're all intelligent enough that we don't need the media to tell as how to behave, think or create our own personal values.  

I'm not religious so I don't have a higher being telling me how to live and what is right and what is wrong.   My morals and how I treat people were developed over many years and I guess I must also give some credit to my parents who imparted  their liberal ideals on us.   

I live by the Golden Rule and it's done me quite well for 53 years.