Game systems

tacklewasher

As someone who will buy NHL, Madden and possibly the odd shooter ... what console would I like better?

I dont have either but from the information i've read, the PS4 has higher graphic ability.  One review said that developers making a game for both systems would design it using the lower spec system but that both were virtually the same.  I looked at an extensive review of GTAV yesterday and it indicated slightly higher graphics for PS4 but said it was only noticeable side by side.

It really seems to come down to:

- Personal preference.  Are you a Microsoft guy or a Sony guy?

- What do your buddies have.  If you're going to play online, all need the same system.

- Console exclusives.  Any titles that are must-have for you but only available on a specific system.

Price seemed to be a big factor early on with people gravitating towards Sony.  Microsoft lowered the Xbox price and have begun gaining on Sony in sales.  Another issue is the Kinect which is really, really cool and likely the future of home entertainment.  But as my gf calls it, Skynet is always watching.  There was a news story today warning people that a website has appeared that features videos gleaned from webcams and baby monitors.  I applaud Microsoft for being forward thinking but it seems the public wasnt quite ready to embrace an always-on Big Brother-type Skynet device.

This is way off topic on the video game front, but feeds nicely into your Skynet comparison.  Very interesting read on anyone planning to buy a new "Smart" TV.

http://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/im-terrified-my-new-tv-why-im-scared-turn-thing

I read that too!  Im torn because Im a sucker for new technology (though usually dont buy until the prices come down).  I work for a telecom and at a recent meeting we were discussing current and future bandwidth needs and were told in a few years the average home will have over 200 connected devices.  Literally every appliance will be "smart".  i cant remember the figure for current average but most people thought it would be 2 or 3 but I think they said its 12 or 14.  It includes phones on your wi-fi network, smart TV, smart blu ray, game console, Computers (many homes have multiple) and things like smart fridge, smart thermostat etc.

I dont mind a business collecting general data (for example, if a smart TV gathers real data on what people watch, thats a plus but that information about me specifically should not be sold).  I read one story about smart kitchens and in time the fridge will keep track of whats in it, expiry dates, reccommend meals based on its content etc.  Ive already been tempted to get one of those smart thermostats.

But I admit, everytime I sit at the desktop computer, I see that webcam eye looking back at me and I dont like it.

I read that too!  Im torn because Im a sucker for new technology (though usually dont buy until the prices come down).  I work for a telecom and at a recent meeting we were discussing current and future bandwidth needs and were told in a few years the average home will have over 200 connected devices.  Literally every appliance will be "smart".  i cant remember the figure for current average but most people thought it would be 2 or 3 but I think they said its 12 or 14.  It includes phones on your wi-fi network, smart TV, smart blu ray, game console, Computers (many homes have multiple) and things like smart fridge, smart thermostat etc.

I dont mind a business collecting general data (for example, if a smart TV gathers real data on what people watch, thats a plus but that information about me specifically should not be sold).  I read one story about smart kitchens and in time the fridge will keep track of whats in it, expiry dates, reccommend meals based on its content etc.  Ive already been tempted to get one of those smart thermostats.

But I admit, everytime I sit at the desktop computer, I see that webcam eye looking back at me and I dont like it.

I work in IT, and while I don't work in the specific fields for these products, I have a basic enough understanding of how technology and the internet works to make somewhat informed decisions on how I use new technology.  For people who have no idea and just "trust" the manufacturers of what they buy and the internet services they use, it can be pretty scary the data and patterns they unknowingly give up about themselves.

I grew up at a time when we "only" had 13 channels on cable TV with a dial to change the channel and no remote as well as a rotary phone land line.  I have friends who lived in the country and had a party line where they had to share the same phone number with their neighbors (ie. pick up the phone and if you hear someone talking, it is your neighbor using the line so hang up and come back and try again later).  

I find it really scary what this generation grows up with as "normal" in terms of privacy and data that is shared and known about individuals.  When you never know another way, and this is just the way things are, more and more is taken.

Now I'm going to go sit on my porch with my shotgun and be a crotchety old man....

I work in IT and trust me it is insanely easy to hack into webcams , baby monitors and security cams that are online. Same with hacking into your network (wi fi makes it simple) and getting into phones is not very tough.

Nothing is secure.

Back to gaming... Get the system that your friends play with. The consoles are pretty much identical this time around.

The last gen the ps3/was designed very uniquely so developers had trouble coding for it. The ps4 now is very similar to the PC and Xbox one so this is why the games play nearly the same on both.

Get what your friends have or get one based on your preference of controller.

Speaking of next-gen consoles, Just Cause 3 is the first game that really seems to justify them.

Is that a game you can pick up if you have never played the prior entries and be fine?

Yeah, the Just Cause series doesn't have any strong continuity or character importing or other RPG elements. It's mostly just about fantastic mayhem.

Re: choosing between xbone and PS4 to play sports franchises ... if you want to play multiplayer online with your friends, then get what they have. Otherwise, just pick one.

I mostly play single-player games and if someone gave me my choice of a nextgen console for free I'd go with a PS4 because Sony's exclusives were way better last generation (The Last of Us, God of War III, Twisted Metal, the Uncharted series) but who knows if that's gonna keep holding true.

You know what's funny...I just watched the rerun of the Big Bang Theory where Sheldon is at wits end trying to decide on whether to buy the PS4 or the XBOX1.  At the end he's sitting on the floor with Amy in the store and the salesmen comes up to him informing him that the store is closed and he still hasn't made a decision and he just flips out.

As someone who will buy NHL, Madden and possibly the odd shooter ... what console would I like better?

Great question. I'm very much the same kind of gamer. Last time I was in Winnipeg I asked an EB employee at St. Vital and KP the same question. If you're going to be primarily focused on sports games it doesn't really matter all that much.

For me, I'm leaning towards PS4. I own a 360 and was going to buy a One because I'm familiar with the XBox. That changed for me when PS4 made an update that allows you to play your friend's games for free, if you are a PlayStation Plus member - Which to the best of my understanding is like having the XBox Live Gold membership.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/10/24/ps4-update-lets-you-play-your-friends-games-for-free

Totally off topic but I wish one console would bring back the split screen gaming concept.. Having to have two consoles and two TVs and two copies of a game is unreal..

I really miss the days of co-op call of duty, battlefield, halo, golden eye, etc etc.. Hell, I think even some hockey and football titles can't be played together on one system..

I'm that type of gamer and I prefer the PS4.

Put me in that boat, as well....and I've always found that, for me, it comes down to which controller is easier to handle, and I always found the PS controllers a bit easier. That first XBox had such a gigantic, clunky controller...turned me off XBox ever since. Not a HUGE fan of the dual-joystick function on PS, but I think it's still better than XB.

There is so little difference between the systems, it really comes down to I think their online system since that seems to be the big thing these days and the controllers. I've never tried the xbox really so I can't say but I found the playstation controllers always seemed to be too small and hard to hold. Best controllers for a system in my mind was the gamecube. Just so smartly laid out, shame that people loved to crap on that system cause they were too cool for Nintendo. Was a real nice piece of work that got ignored by developers because the playstation was the hip thing. 

I'm that type of gamer and I prefer the PS4.

Put me in that boat, as well....and I've always found that, for me, it comes down to which controller is easier to handle, and I always found the PS controllers a bit easier. That first XBox had such a gigantic, clunky controller...turned me off XBox ever since. Not a HUGE fan of the dual-joystick function on PS, but I think it's still better than XB.

There is so little difference between the systems, it really comes down to I think their online system since that seems to be the big thing these days and the controllers. I've never tried the xbox really so I can't say but I found the playstation controllers always seemed to be too small and hard to hold. Best controllers for a system in my mind was the gamecube. Just so smartly laid out, shame that people loved to crap on that system cause they were too cool for Nintendo. Was a real nice piece of work that got ignored by developers because the playstation was the hip thing. 

Came here to say this about the Xbox controllers. My cousin has an original Xbox, and it's ok, but I've never like the shape and size of the controller. This is exactly where PS wins. The controller is much easier to hold than the xbox. The only thing I don't like about it though is the buttons. I prefer the lettered buttons over shapes.  That's the nice thing about the Logitech gampad controller. It has the shape of a PS controller (maybe slightly bigger, which is nice because 17 is right about it being a bit small) and the buttons of an Xbox controller.

I 100 % agree about the gamecube controller. I mainly use Nintendo consoles, so I have the Gamecube and the Wii. The gamecube controller is the perfect shape and size. It just feels like it's melting in your hands. Honestly, I think it's better than the classic controller, which is why I've never bothered buying one.

The wavebird for the gamecube was a fantastic controller... battery life lasted for seemingly months and the responsiveness was dead on.  

I don't know why people are bringing up the original xbox controller?  The 360 controller by far was the most favorite and popular controller over the last decade.    For FPS it's not even a contest the 360 was the best ... the rest is all fairly similar.  

I am having a tough time going from the original xBox controller to the 360 controller. I keep trying to push buttons with my left thumb and throwing grenades in Mass Effect with the back button where it is is awkward.

Going to have to play KOTOR to see how confused my fingers get from the buttons being moved around.

I like the old xBox controller (or just got used to it). Don't really like the Wii controller and have not used anything else (no PS anything).

But I am really liking Mass Effect. Second run through.

I just saw this!  The boyfriend is an avid gamer, so we have all three.  We mostly settle on the Xbox One, but he needed (wanted....) the PS4 for The Last of Us remastered.  He's obscenely addicted to Destiny, and there's a core group of them that play online (nightly....) if anyone needs a group to play with.   

Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros coming out has rekindled the Wii U love.  You gotta admit they have more "exclusive" games than either Xbone or Ps4, and most games have moved away from split screen gaming (aka not sitting alone in your basement) - and we've had a few Wii U parties over the past few days. 

... I also have an unhealthy love of PvZ Garden Warfare and Minecraft (Xbox One).  The Telltale games are great as well, although relatively linear.  The Wolf Among Us was great, and the Game of Thrones one just came out yesterday.