Lawless: Bombers need to sign Ben Heenan

gbill2004

We're going to have to hope that we draft an OL who can start next year, I suspect both January and Morley will retire in the offseason. We will have to start an international at LT and fill out the rest of the line with nationals and have something behind them for when injuries hit.

Taman worships OL... Heenan is not going anywhere

I think the more realistic situation is the Riders dump Picard to afford Heenan. Then we can pick up Picard and Tim O'neill and continue on with a terrible OL. It's the Bomber way.

This theory has merit. With younger and cheaper replacements at center in Clack and Watman, Picard could be a guy that gets moved. As far as Heenan, I'd fall off my chair if he doesn't sign here.

Where does Picard play? The one thing we don't need is another centre.

Yeah Gary, I bet Heenan is falling all over himself to sign on with the bluengold. A truckload of cash resembling Durants salary wouldn't even get it done. Get serious. I'm not saying don't try, but let's find some serious solutions to our problems instead of these airy fairy ideas. Start by going after this Horton guy released in argo land. Not an o line player but certainly wouldn't hurt to have a look at him at linebacker. Guess Gary didn't notice we're thin in that area. Find some solutions now, not in next year country.

I would like to see Goosen start the rest of the way let him get some experience into next year. Also think it will be easier to get a olineman or two from a place where there is a back log like in Calgary or Saskatchewan. Someone like a Peach, Vonk or Watman.

If we're thinking pie in the sky then the Bombers need to get Owens and Elemimian and Cornish. Just make it happen Walters. 

So if he hits FA lets not try at all? Typical fail attitude. Apparently you're not alone.

Pie-in the-sky is thinking this team gets better if we stay with the personnel we have.

If we're thinking pie in the sky then the Bombers need to get Owens and Elemimian and Cornish. Just make it happen Walters. 

So if he hits FA lets not try at all? Typical fail attitude. Apparently you're not alone.

Pie-in the-sky is thinking this team gets better if we stay with the personnel we have.

Pretty sure if he hits free agency, we will try and try hard. I just think most people here are under the impression that guys like that won't make it to free agency because they are too important to their teams, Might they? sure and if they do, i'm pretty sure all of us on here would say Go after them all but i think the reality is that guys like that rarely to never make it to free agency. Don't think anybody is saying don't try, just think most are saying, we won't have the ability to try cuz those guys will  be signed well before free agency hits. 

Pretty sure if he hits free agency, we will try and try hard. I just think most people here are under the impression that guys like that won't make it to free agency because they are too important to their teams, Might they? sure and if they do, i'm pretty sure all of us on here would say Go after them all but i think the reality is that guys like that rarely to never make it to free agency. Don't think anybody is saying don't try, just think most are saying, we won't have the ability to try cuz those guys will  be signed well before free agency hits. 

I understand what you're saying, but Lawless did preface his opinion with "Which brings us to Walters and potential free agent and current Riders non-import tackle Heenan." I don't have an argument with you, I'm just not a fan of the "**** it, no chance" attitude in sports or life. The Labbate fiasco demonstrates there's always a chance...

The point is that he's not bloody likely to hit FA. Saskatchewan boy who is a good player? They'll pay him whatever it takes to retain him and what's his motivation to leave the Riders? The only possible one is money and I don't see anyone offering him enough to move because that's just stupid. Better off not wishing for players you have an extremely low chance of ever getting. It's just a waste of time. 

What are the chances Holmes makes free agency?

About the same as the Argos being sold and having a stadium deal done by next February 15.

The Argos will pay Holmes what he wants.  They have Wayne Smith starting at the opposite guard, I don't think they'll be playing around too much when it comes to getting Holmes signed.  Only way Holmes or Heenan hit free agency is if they are looking for NFL deals.

The Blue Bombers are still haunted by former GM Joe Mack’s inexplicable decision to let Brendon LaBatte reach free agency

Sweet zombie Jesus this is way beyond stupid.

If someone wants to go to free agency, you can't stop them.  That's why they call it free agency.

Tru dat. From looking at those Humpty's commercial its clear the first thing on his mind was to go to Sask and start a family there. Oh and GC to boot which he knew he would not get here.

The upcoming CFL draft has a lot of good OL prospects projected to go in the first round. Maybe Walters can trade a current roster player for a first rounder??

Do we have anyone we'd be willing to trade who could fetch us anything close to a first? I'd be more than willing to give up a guy like Watson, but he probably only gets us a third rounder or so. 

The upcoming CFL draft has a lot of good OL prospects projected to go in the first round. Maybe Walters can trade a current roster player for a first rounder??

Do we have anyone we'd be willing to trade who could fetch us anything close to a first? I'd be more than willing to give up a guy like Watson, but he probably only gets us a third rounder or so.

Maybe Watson and January for a first??